konalavadome

Song For The Brave

• 34 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »
Wonderful lyrics delboy, I really loved them, until I read what montydog wrote and now it's got me wondering whether his suggestion would have improved the song even further.

I don't know, I'm useless at lyrics, I enjoyed them all the same.

I agree with others that guitar was a little distant but not so much that it spoiled it for me.

Good all round in my opinion.

Yodasdad

Oldbutyet

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 11:05:20 PM »
This is starting of good but I agree with Monty, the second part in character needs to grow with age, the first part in character is telling a story of old and everyone understands old stories and whatever reasons why, but in second part, no growing with age in character.

In other words criminal violence has never been accepted in any form of society of age, but nice style with words  8)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 10:26:35 AM »
Hi delb0y,

very impressive song with a hint of melancholy in the music.

I see this as a confession, perhaps just before his execution or his death by natural causes. So I'm not too bothered that it has no beginning, middle or end.

I bet Johnny Cash would have loved singing this.

Keith

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »
Hi Derek,

You've got so much talent seeping in all directions I'm not sure where to look!

First off great diversity, this feels different from the other songs I've listened to which have a bit more tempo and narrative and am impressed at the effortless range.

I certainly hope these lyrics aren't true ;P but you've managed to get me to sympathise with the character regardless, which raises some deep thoughts and is powerful.

I like the lack of 'progression' int he story, I think you've proved yourself a great story-teller and this feels like an introduction or conclusion to a bigger album (or film maybe) this does a lovely job of saying 'this is how it is'.

Thanks for sharing, wonderful listen.
Scott.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 04:41:27 PM »
I think its all been said Del but this is another wonderful song...love the whole melody and vibe all the way through. The lyrics are great although it does worry me how many examples you've been able to give. You're not being naughty are you?

Beautiful stuff as always...youre beginning to sound like a real bluesy crooner

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
Great sound Derek.....love the folk sound, as you know. Right up my alley!
Great guitar picking, vocals....Great song!
Would love to hear your stuff live....
                                                                         8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 10:15:10 AM »
the lyrics reminded me of something richard thompson would write ..only hed make it sound hopelessly sad..whereas this was more like a CV ;D
I loved the lyric & the mix with the low mixed guitar ...it gave your material a new sound I realy liked..
I thought it was another excellent vocal & I dont know whether you write deliberately to suit your voice but its all coming together a treat on these last half dozen songs youve posted...its that simple intimate style that youve got almost perfect here
there was a bit of johnny cash about it aswell
 anyway it was a real delight to listen to  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 06:58:56 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, folks. As always, it's much appreciated.

Regarding the mix, it was quite intentional to have a big vocal and a little guitar. I did tweak it a tiny bit after Kevin's initial comment but that tweak took place before anyone else commented. I've been trying to pay attention to the mix of the music I listen to and I think the vocals are always given a lot more volume than I've done for my own work (for reasons that I've always placed the emphasis quite rightly on my quitar picking rather than singing).

Not being naughty, Martyn. Nothing autobiographical about this song - though as someone did point out elsewhere, it could just as easily be about politicians as your actual street thief. So maybe there is an unintentional subtext.

Tinam, yes I do absolutely write for my own voice, which generally means sticking around low A and not moving too far too quickly :-) Through necessity I've also developed a style of singing really quiet and close to the mic so as not to disturb anyone else in the house.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:16 PM »
Hey there Delb0y..........an absolutely great song. Lyrically, one of your most inspired......but, I kept asking myself, "who would do such a thing?" A thief is what it is...but, WHO would do such a thing? An inspired answer to my question would take this song into another realm.
This has a superb set up.....
I'm hoping you are getting what I mean  8)
                                                                                 -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 10:11:04 PM »
Thanks Tom. I get where you're coming from - and also Monty and YodasDad earlier in the thread. I guess my intent here wasn't a song about a single character, but a song about all thieves, if that makes sense. So it's not about some super thief who's done all these things, but that all these things have been done by thieves.

That said, perhaps I will write a song about a specific thief, one of these days. I like the idea of exploring a character who has to steal in order to feed his family - but even as I write this I'm thinking that Fields of Athenry did that already!
West Country Country Boy

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 02:09:28 AM »
Thanks Tom. I get where you're coming from - and also Monty and YodasDad earlier in the thread. I guess my intent here wasn't a song about a single character, but a song about all thieves, if that makes sense. So it's not about some super thief who's done all these things, but that all these things have been done by thieves.

That said, perhaps I will write a song about a specific thief, one of these days. I like the idea of exploring a character who has to steal in order to feed his family - but even as I write this I'm thinking that Fields of Athenry did that already!

Well...the Devil is the most obvious answer, however not very original, or inspired. I was thinking of that "something" that robs all of us. Ignorance???....Nope...................Want???.....nope...........
....maybe, selfishness...... ???
                                                                ::)-Tom
Don't mind me!
                                                          -IronKnee

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
Wow, the song and performance really clashes with the lyrics but strangely enough it works terrific. I just love the vocals, absolutely awesome! Solid guitarring as well and mix sounds fine (perhaps a tad to much reverb?). My only complaint would be lack of some kind of break down /bridge whatever to get a little bit dynamic variation  in there.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 09:41:51 AM »
Del, sorry missed this gem. Great observation sung deadpan and as Kev mentioned just need the guitar balanced to your vocals.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 12:51:26 PM »
found this quite moving
last thing on my mind was the mix - went straight to the heart
lyric and vocal incisive and engaging
fine song delboy
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Waterpilot

• Busker
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »
The song idea is good, the images in the lyric work well with that Idea.