Is it just me or...

• 34 Replies

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 08:40:41 PM »
I must admit, I used to be like that but having a family changed it all for me. I'm a stay at home person sure, but what used to be music time only, it's now replaced by family time. I love my music and I'm dead passionate about it, but it's a hobby, a damn fine one too, but a hobby nonetheless. At least to me.

But the rare moments when they're all asleep simultaneously, I sneak into the studio, embrace my guitar and mumble softly to myself, - From my cold dead hands. The whole fifteen minutes.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 10:00:36 PM »
I must admit, I used to be like that but having a family changed it all for me.

haha & i used to be like THAT! when i did have time to play guitar i couldnt because they were asleep & id wake them up...thats when someone whod been thru it told me about recording on a computer  & said sell the amp & buy a amp modeller &  headphones & do it all silently
buying it was easy... unfortunately i had absolutely no idea how to use it all till the kids were old enough to show me ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »
I hate social gatherings with a real passion but I´m not sure that was the question  ;D

I would always much prefer to be doing stuff in my studio or my kitchen or my lounge or wherever as long as I was on my own. Fortunately I have a 10 year-old and an 8 year-old to snap me out of this grumpy malaise. The only time I have thoroughly enjoyed social gatherings have either been when I´m too pissed to be coherent or I´ve been up on stage.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2016, 07:55:09 AM »
There aint no better place to be than in my studio trying to figure out why everything sounds crap and then managing somehow to make it sound..not bad, ;D ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2016, 02:17:09 PM »
OMG Keith! If your stuff starts out "crap" and ends up only "not bad", I might as well chase another dream altogether! Argh....

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 02:28:29 PM »
I've noticed that quite a few people in this thread have mentioned composing in a studio of some sort.  I don't have a studio of my own.  I do have a keyboard at home for trying out some of the trickier harmonies, but most of what I write - lyrics and music - is composed in my head.  The last song I wrote was composed while I was sitting on a river bank.  Sometimes I'm thinking up songs while I'm doing the shopping.

Is that unusual?

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »
I've noticed that quite a few people in this thread have mentioned composing in a studio of some sort.  I don't have a studio of my own.  I do have a keyboard at home for trying out some of the trickier harmonies, but most of what I write - lyrics and music - is composed in my head.  The last song I wrote was composed while I was sitting on a river bank.  Sometimes I'm thinking up songs while I'm doing the shopping.

Is that unusual?

No...I think most people do the same but it's usual to end up in a room that we call a studio to get the song out of our heads and on to a medium...so writing in the studio is a sort of figure of speech..for me anyways..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
OMG Keith! If your stuff starts out "crap" and ends up only "not bad", I might as well chase another dream altogether! Argh....

Its OMG Kevin!! :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
Oh, I'm so embarrassed! My fingers sometimes type whatever they want, inspired by the first letter.  :-[

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 02:40:28 PM »
Just don't call him "Late for Breakfast"  ;D ;D

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »
It's not unusual....da da da da da daaah  ::) (well someone had to do it)

It's not really a studio, I just call it my studio to deter the other members of the household from claiming it. It was the outside utility room. It was just concrete and plaster until this summer when I decided to do it out and move my music stuff in.

I'd take a photo and show you but I don't know how to insert them in here.

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
No...I think most people do the same but it's usual to end up in a room that we call a studio to get the song out of our heads and on to a medium...so writing in the studio is a sort of figure of speech..for me anyways..

Ah, I see.  I suppose if you mainly perform live, as I do, that's not an issue.  When I brought out my EP all the songs were recorded by someone else.  If I want to record any more I'll have to pay for studio time (unless I can negotiate some sort of quid-pro-quo arrangement).

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 05:12:39 PM »

Ah, I see.  I suppose if you mainly perform live, as I do, that's not an issue.  When I brought out my EP all the songs were recorded by someone else.  If I want to record any more I'll have to pay for studio time (unless I can negotiate some sort of quid-pro-quo arrangement).

I don't perform live my friend, music is a hobby that i enjoy so I turned a room into my mancave/recording stdio..built myself a soundbooth (just re built it it, fist one was too small, in 5mins there was no air left)

best, Kevin :) :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
I'm with Guy. My "studio" is my laptop, a USB mic, and a pair of headphones from Tesco that currently only work on one channel. This studio is usually balanced on the arm of the sofa and away I go. All of my songs are intended to be played live, usually by me and a guitar, so I've never felt the need to develop the "studio" further. One day I would like to record a CDs worth of material but if ever I do I'll find a proper studio at that point in time.
West Country Country Boy

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 06:55:33 PM »

I don't perform live my friend, music is a hobby that i enjoy so I turned a room into my mancave/recording stdio..built myself a soundbooth (just re built it it, fist one was too small, in 5mins there was no air left)

Oh, OK.  There seems to be a bit of a split amongst posters here.  For me, music is a way of getting out and meeting people.  I don't think I'd enjoy it if I were just stuck at home doing it on my own.  Music is what stops me from becoming a recluse!