Is it just me or...

• 34 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 26, 2016, 04:03:55 PM »
I am working on the assumption that everyone who uses this forum writes songs in one way or another so I'm hoping that someone will chime in and tell me I'm not as sad or unsociable as I'm feeling.

I was at a wedding at the weekend of a close family member; lots of good food, alcohol flowing, a good dj, friends, family, dancing the whol shbang. And while I was there I thought to myself, I'd rather be at home, in my studio, on my own writing a song, I'd enjoy that more.

Anyone else ever feel similar or am I just heading down the road of becoming a recluse?

Yodasdad

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »
I've had similar feelings, but it's typically when I'm in a social setting comprised of people with whom I don't "click". In an environment of meaningless chitchat, I would be aware of preferring to be doing something more meaningful--possibly writing music.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
I often feel the same...I don't even require the studio or the songwriting  :D

I used to be uncomfortable about feeling out of place...until I realised that it was my natural habitat and I'm happier there. I'm more of an observer on planet earth than a participant.

I love seeing people enjoy themselves...as long as they don't expect me to join in...
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 04:55:39 PM »
Exactly what Paul said!
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 05:17:00 PM »
Folk on an Internet forum preferring their own company?
Say it ain't so!

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »
All the bloody time, constantly visiting family and having friends around lucky to get a an hour or two in the week to do what I enjoy the most and it does grind my gears.

I try to think it's all part of the same game and everyone you meet and everything you do just builds you up as a person and gives you more substance and inspiration. 'Leg work'

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:18:09 PM »
I'm going to take another tack on this thread...

When you wrote " a good dj, friends, family, dancing the whol shbang" it struck a chord with me.

In my grandparents' day, the family got together every Saturday night, my granddad played fiddle, my grandma chorded on piano and they all sang (no doubt some danced too  ;D). There was no TV or smart phones to distract them from having a good time. In my parent's day, get-togethers were much less frequent, but I can remember as a kid hearing (and loving) my parents playing mandolin and guitar and singing around a campfire. IMO there is something lost with today's canned music and absence of live performance. No-one seems to miss it - except maybe the musicians and songwriters in the crowd - and, not wanting to appear different, they keep these thoughts private...

Paul
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:21:46 PM by Paulski »

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:59:56 PM »
I help to run a little community venue in the suburb where I live.

On Monday nights, I run a little community choir.  There aren't too many who turn up - probably about half a dozen at the moment.  But we have a lot of fun together and we'll be recording a track for a CD in a couple of weeks.  We'll also be performing live on stage in about six weeks' time.

On Thursday nights, I help to plan community events.  We have an open mic session every couple of weeks and in between we do other stuff.  There's a jam session tomorrow.  In a couple of weeks we'll have a Motown night.  Elsewhere on the forum I've mentioned the silly comedy game show I did recently (to be repeated just before Christmas).

It's fun.  It's not always the sort of thing I want to do.  But it keeps me going, and once a fortnight I have the opportunity to perform my own stuff in front of a live audience, which is great.  A couple of years ago I can't have imagined this opportunity.

Maybe just sitting in front of the computer isn't always the answer?

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:28:20 PM »
Paulski, that reminds me of my passionate belief that people should DO STUFF! not just watch (or listen to) other people doing stuff. And that includes people of all ages, right up to the last minute of life, if possible. My 86-year-old dad farms and works as a mechanic (changing and repairing tractor and truck tires). Now I admit his motivation is a bit dysfunctional--he thinks he's a waste of space if he isn't being productive--but it keeps him moving and healthier than he would be otherwise. He has lung cancer and aced a series of chemo treatments the docs weren't even going to give him because of his age. He had to drive 100 miles one way, and he did the round trip every day (weekends off) for something like three weeks, most of the time by himself.

But I digress. I have often been frustrated because so many people just don't really want to do anything. It's really hard to find enough people to do something interesting, so this forum is a godsend for me in the music writing area.

I could go on and on about this--it's a topic dear to my heart. I think everyone would be healthier and happier if they DID stuff. I've started to work on a project (Late Bloomers Rock) that includes a component designed to encourage older people to start something new. Older, as in older than at least 40 or 50, but really, with no age limit.

Anyway, my enthusiasm for this runs away with me....sorry!

GuyBarry, thanks for reminding about your activities. I would like to do some things like that, as well. Not so much the practicing with other people in order to do choir stuff, because I don't want to drive all the way to town often enough--or in the evenings--for that, but organizing some kind of open mic or jam session at a local establishment, at least once, and the game ideas. Yes.

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:18 PM »
I'm quite the opposite and love a good get together.  I agree with others that there are too many distractions in life and too many excuses to not do anything 'real'.  So many people only live virtual lives these days.

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »
I love my social life and being social but I love my own company too 8)  Seriously, I can withdraw into my shell for long periods (of free time) esp. when writing but I have to be careful that I don't get so close to the mountain that I lose sight of it.

I don't think there's anything inherently anti-social about being on this forum in particular (interacting with like-minded people who share an uncommon ability/interest)

Other more general social media though can have (imho) a corrosive effect on 'proper' social interaction. Why not just have a chat!? I do worry that in some hideous future time we'll all be heads in jars like on Futurama!! but then I read in New Scientist the other day we may be no more than 3D projections that have their origin in a sub-atomic 2D realm so the internet might be no less real than anything else...  ??? ::)
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 08:34:02 PM »
It's not just you ... but I think that family parties are often, for me at least, a disastrous mix of over-loud 'recorded' music and too much booze. Best wedding reception I ever attended was in France and they had a great little folky type band who played different dance styles between each of the nine! ... count 'em, nine course of the Wedding breakfast. I remember them doing a waltz and a polka can't remember the rest but it was a fabulous night. Everyone without a note from their doctor had to dance and it was the most fun I've ever had at a wedding. The night went so quickly and no one got out of line. Quite a few got drunk though and the Bride's mother ended up in A&E with a broken arm! ... that was probably the Tango!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 09:00:14 PM »
Sounds good think I should do more fun stuff :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:24:42 PM by ScottLevi »

GuyBarry

• Solo Gig
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:04 AM »
GuyBarry, thanks for reminding about your activities. I would like to do some things like that, as well. Not so much the practicing with other people in order to do choir stuff, because I don't want to drive all the way to town often enough--or in the evenings--for that, but organizing some kind of open mic or jam session at a local establishment, at least once, and the game ideas. Yes.

I'd thoroughly recommend it.  I actually fell into all this completely by accident - I happened to see the choir advertised on a noticeboard so I turned up one week, then I found out they held open mic sessions as well, and gradually I got more and more involved.  Then the person running the venue left his job and I've ended up holding the fort a lot of the time!  It's not just me, there's a little group of us running activities.  The whole thing's run on a shoestring (the local church provides the venue and organizes the funding, though it's not a religious venture).

I'd probably wouldn't have got back into songwriting if I hadn't got involved with the venue, and I definitely wouldn't have had the chance to record my own EP - there's a recording studio there as well.  It's given me a great bunch of new friends and a new purpose in life.  I've been very lucky in a lot of ways.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 01:19:08 PM »
Ha! Since i discovered Garageband, Soundcloud, and now this forum, all i want to do is write music! Ive been in bands for years, but recording and sharing music in a community is now possible to do without even leaving the house!!!

I totally get where you are coming from Yoda!