Come to Me - Spooky or What Competition

• 18 Replies

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
Okay, I could go on about how I was going to add drums, bass and more guitar but the vocal gave me so much grief I really did run out of time for this one. I've got used to hearing it as it is now anyway.

I had given up on this but came back to it after being spurred on by all the effort other posters put into their entries.

https://soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans/come-to-me

Come to Me
Copyright © Geoffrey James Evans 2016.

All the kids visit every house around here
Their eyes are wide and their bodies tingle with fear
Eerie light from carved, pumpkin heads
Their little hearts say run but they hold fast instead
Trembling they'll knock on every door here in the street
It's not a trick,  it's a treat.    

All the kids know my house and they keep it at bay
They cross the street when they find they're walking this way
Stories tell of a mother who lived here before
Found broken and buried under the floor
Curious they look my way but before I catch their eye
they look away, and hurry by.  

Come to me my children I've got everything you seek
Bags and bags of candy I've enough to last the week
Come to me I'm just the same as everyone out there
I want to play, it isn't fair

They don't know why but they're feeling the tension
They see no life but they look in the wrong dimension
And I suddenly I'm laughing then I'm choking back a tear
Because I know, they're never coming here.    

« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:36:55 PM by ShinyThang »
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 09:52:09 PM »
Geoff,

I see this in my kids every year....well done for making this your subject matter.

Great lyrics...make you sad....I'll take my kids to the house.

Love the pianos that keep playing in the background.

Like the way the songs ends.

Good song

Sandeep

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 11:15:53 PM »
im trying to understand this & I think you are the ghost of the murdered woman which makes it all very sad & spooky
I cant do ballads so I have a lot of respect for those that can... I felt a lot of sadness in this ..maybe thats how ghosts feel ...she lost her life & with that her children & this is the only sad hallowen song ive heard in the competition & it moved me
I liked the sound clips they were very effective
I think the guitar bit couldve been better but maybe you can go back later to that with your new gretsch you were looking at  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »
Hi,

Really enjoyed this, very dark and sinister yet understated. Big powerful synth and pad sounds that you've blended together really well. I like the piano ostinato than runs throughout, very tubular bells/exorcist.

Nice touch with the reversed whispering, I might be tempted to make more of this

I'm sure this would work well with all the additions you mentioned but I don't think it needs them, it stands up as it is for me.

I'm gathering from mooching around here today that there's a Halloween competition going on. I haven't listened to all the songs but this would be a contender for me so far.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 12:26:48 AM »
This works really well...lovely synth and tinkling piano draw you in and the neat, clever lyric delivers a cool, disturbing twist. Nice vocals too.

Thumbs up from me.

Great work, Geoff...and good luck 😀
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 12:33:52 AM »
This is great! A strong contender, I'm sure. I really like those low notes! And the mood of the whole thing is just perfect. I have no nits.

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:31:37 AM »
Wow, this is really creepy. Until the last verse I thought this was going in adifferent direction, so there was a nice element of suspense.

The instrumentation was sounding great to my ears, I did not miss bass or guitar.

Good luck in the competition, bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 10:51:35 AM »
Really enjoyed that, Shiny. Lovely spooky feel and that lovely piano. Lyrics are great. Very sad in a lonely ghost way. We had a house like that at the end of our street when I was kid - so your song made a good connection, and I'm sure it would make a similar one with most listeners. A very strong contender for sure!
West Country Country Boy

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
I feel bad bumping this but I wanted to thank those who've reviewed it;

Movin Falvour: I love to see the little kids come trick or treating. Some of them really get into it and are so excited. Unfortunately none come to me now that I live down a spooky, country lane. Maybe I'm the ghost!

TinaM: Of course you are spot on and it feels good that I've managed to write something that actually tells the story in my head. The singer is the ghost of the murdered mother who never saw her own kids grow up (Okay, the song doesn't actually tell you that bit). She can't leave the house and the kids won't come to her (big whoops there really because All Hallows' Eve is THE night the ghosts CAN get around. Doh!) It is sad ... Happy is so hard! I had a lot of fun with the sound clips and I'm glad you felt they worked. 'Could do better' with the guitar is, I'm embarrassed to say quite right. It doesn't really quite fit and it's a bit basic and clumsy.  Shiny doesn't deserve a shiny , new Gretsch!

Yodasdad: Thank you. Glad you liked it. I think the continuous piano was probably T Bells inspired what with the theme being horror and all. I've already moved on to the next thing but I would really like to come back to this and put drums on and redo the guitar.

PaulAds: Really pleased you took the time to listen Paul and I'm glad you liked it.

CaliaMoko: I am so glad you liked it. And getting a 'No Nits' from you makes me feel good somehow (almost made up for TinaM's ''Could do better") It's like a trophy on the mantle piece which I will treasure.

Wolfini: Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Delb0y: Thank you for your kind words. There was a neglected house in my street that us kids used to make up stories about. It is still neglected now, forty odd years later, and almost completely obscured by vegetation in the front garden. And, it seems, I'm still making up stories about it!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
I love the ambient vibe you've got going on here Geoff. The lyrics are very good, sad and reflective. the repeating piano phrase works well for me. This is different as well which makes it stand out. Think it's great

John

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »
Love the backing, especially your ominous intro! The tinkling on the piano mildly reminds me of Tubular Bells from the Exorcist, so definitely very spooky. Creepy sound affects too. Is that reversed talking around the two minute mark?

Great storytelling. I was sucked in by the lyrics, certainly. I find myself saying this a lot, but I would definitely bring the harmonies up in the mix. I think I'm just a bit of a Bvox junkie but I thought they were a little buried.

Yep, thoroughly enjoyed this. Definitely the scariest thing I've heard from the Spooky or What Comp.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 06:50:19 AM »
WOW.....now that was ghostly. Truly a unique and compelling lyric. I feel the lyrics get thinned behind the music, which is commanding.
I'm curious as to how this was written.....lyrics, first... or otherwise??
Great stuff!
                                       8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Love the track, especially the mysterious sounds intro!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2016, 11:08:06 AM »
Hi

Lovely synth sounds. The tinkling synth gives a nice night time feel; The pads a lush atmosphere. Eerie, but somehow captures a strange innocence and sadness as well. Very cool.
Really like the story idea.

Interesting, different, and very good.

Digger

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2016, 03:13:20 PM »
Perfect entry for the competition. Spooky feel. Piano is captivating.
Loved the lyrics - taking the POV of the house is brilliant IMO.
Definitely a front-runner for me.
Paul