konalavadome

The Fabulous Forum Holiday Showcase ...

• 14 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: November 09, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
Vicki and I have been secretly scheming this one up and we're looking for your opinion.
Here's what we've got so far:

This is NOT a competition - it's a showcase for the talented people on this site.
The idea is to make a video - sort of like the "Fireplace" channel on your cable TV and, playing alongside of this video, will be members' songs. The author/performer info will show on screen while the song is playing as well. When we get enough songs we will upload it to youtube and ppl can watch/listen over the holidays (and beyond :)) as they sip their favourite beverage and pig out on holiday treats. New or existing songs of ALL faiths/beliefs (or non-beliefs as the case may be) would be welcomed. I figure we can get over an hour of amazing tunes. Similar rules to the other comps - like >100 posts, max one song and one collab or two collabs permitted etc. etc.

The deadline would need to be tight - like mid December - but allowing existing songs might help ppl meet it.

OK - is this a dumb idea? or what? Is anyone interested?

Paul and Vicki

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 06:22:41 PM »
Anything that puts togethor some of awesome talent on this forum sounds like a good idea to me.

What will it actually involve from a participating standpoint - just submitting a download link to a song or would each member create there own video to go alongside?

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 06:39:43 PM »
Anything that puts togethor some of awesome talent on this forum sounds like a good idea to me.

What will it actually involve from a participating standpoint - just submitting a download link to a song or would each member create there own video to go alongside?
Hi Scott - I guess you would have to send the hosts (Vicki and I) an mp3 or wav file of your song along with its title and contributors (or a downloadable link to it). However, if you have the ability to make your own video, you could send us an mp4 instead.

Paul

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:37 AM »
Hi,

Not sure I have the requisite talent but I'd be interested in this and I may have just the sort of song that would fit in with the brief.
Hope you get it off the ground  :)

Phil
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »

Hi Scott - I guess you would have to send the hosts (Vicki and I) an mp3 or wav file of your song along with its title and contributors (or a downloadable link to it). However, if you have the ability to make your own video, you could send us an mp4 instead.

Paul
OK - now having time to think - we would just want an audio file - mp3 or wav (no videos or mp4's). The video will be a fireplace burning festively. That puts everyone on the same playing field and we can control consistency of the audio volume better. I hope we can get some interest in this!
Paul

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »
Hi,

Not sure I have the requisite talent but I'd be interested in this and I may have just the sort of song that would fit in with the brief.
Hope you get it off the ground  :)

Phil
Hi Phil

Talent Shmalent !! - lack thereof has never stopped me from participating  ;D ;D Glad you think it's a good idea and hope you do a song  ;D

cheers
Paul

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 10:58:50 AM »
Hi Paul!

Nice idea, but I am not sure I fully understand the concept. Are the songs supposed to be in a certain style or theme? Holiday songs? Easy listening to suit the fireplace concept? Or is it anything goes?

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »
Hi Paul!

Nice idea, but I am not sure I fully understand the concept. Are the songs supposed to be in a certain style or theme? Holiday songs? Easy listening to suit the fireplace concept? Or is it anything goes?

Bye Wolfi
Hi Wolfi
I guess it would be how you would interpret "Fabulous Forum Holiday Showcase"  ;D
My feeling is that it should be suitable for family listening. How's that for fuzzy?  ;D ;D
Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
And I would say it isn't necessary to try to make it any particular style or theme. In fact, there are a LOT of possibilities if you look at all the observances that take place during December and January. For instance, limiting ourselves to musical remembrances, we have:
Dec 9-Techno Day
Dec 11-Choral Day
Dec 13-Violin Day
Dec 29-Cello Day

If you like animals, we have:
Dec 4-Wildlife Conservation Day
Dec 14-Monkey Day
Dec 15-Cat Herder's Day
Dec 16-Underdog Day
Jan 1-Polar Bear Plunge Day
Jan 2-Happy Mew Year for Cats Day
Jan 14-Dress Up Your Pet Day
Jan 16-Appreciate a Dragon Day
Jan 18-Winnie the Pooh Day
Jan 20-Penguin Awareness Day
Jan 21-Squirrel Appreciation Day
Jan 22-Answer Your Cat's Questions Day

Then there are days having to do with food:
Dec 1-Eat a Red Apple Day
Dec 2-Fritters Day
Dec 8-Brownie Day (unless this means scouts or little elves)
Dec 10-Gingerbread Decorating Day
Dec 17-Maple Syrup Day
Dec 25-Pumpkin Pie Day
Dec 26-Candy Cane Day
Dec 30-Bacon Day
And the whole month of January is "Hot Tea Month"

There are scads more of these. Just do an internet search for something like "daily observances" or "international special days" and you'll get a variety of lists. They aren't all the same, but you're bound to find something that works for you if you don't feel like doing something more traditional like Christmas, Hanukkah, or Kwanzaa. There are other religious observances, as well.

And, like Paul said, make it family friendly. :)

Vicki

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 06:33:48 PM »
if this is aimed at people outside the forum to promote the talent here tbh i cant see it working...
i mean how will they come across this video & what will make them click play?
& what will make them stay for the whole length of it & not just hear 30 secs & decide thats not for me?
if you dont give people today exactly what they are looking for they they are gone quickly bcos attention spans are so short & there is so much choice
i realy dont mean to be a wet blanket ...maybe ive missed some important bit... it sounds like a lot of work for someone & not a lot of return for it all  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »
if this is aimed at people outside the forum to promote the talent here tbh i cant see it working...
& what will make them stay for the whole length of it & not just hear 30 secs & decide thats not for me?
if you dont give people today exactly what they are looking for they they are gone quickly bcos attention spans are so short & there is so much choice
i realy dont mean to be a wet blanket ...maybe ive missed some important bit... but it sounds like a lot of work for someone & not a lot of return for it all  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 07:26:02 PM »
I would love to participate....but I can't make videos  :P
I have a Christmas tune, already, and two that can be recorded.........what's next??
                                  -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »
I would love to participate....but I can't make videos  :P
I have a Christmas tune, already, and two that can be recorded.........what's next??
Paulski will take care of the video part, so no worries there. You only need to decide which one you want to use. :)

@tinam: This is just for fun, and won't really be any more work than a regular competition. Except Paulski will add the songs to a video. And it's for anyone who wants an eclectic compilation of music in front of a virtual fireplace.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:41:24 PM »
i realy dont mean to be a wet blanket ...maybe ive missed some important bit... it sounds like a lot of work for someone & not a lot of return for it all  :)
Hey Tina - you wet blanket you !! :)
I probably didn't explain this very well. The fireplace idea isn't mine - it's becoming a growing trend this side of the ocean. For cable or satellite TV subscribers, during the xmas season, we get channels called "Yuletide fireplace" (for example) that just show a fireplace burning away with music typically christmas songs by various artists in the background. It's for people that don't have a fireplace, or ones that are too lazy to start it up (like me) and people put that channel on instead of the radio. You get to pretend you have a fire on instead of watching TV, (which sucks over the holidays anyway :). Like Vicki says it's just for fun and amusement of forumites, but maybe it could be an annual thing? - IDK
I'm sure you have sth in your collection that would fit the brief - n'est pas?
cheers
Paul
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:09:47 AM by Paulski »

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
OK - Vicki and I have decided we have enough interest to go forward with this :)
We both have songs in the works that suit the brief - and WE KNOW YOU DO TOO!

So I'm locking this thread and starting a new one to launch this holiday event!
See new thread for details...  ;D ;D