Revolution 3

• 25 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 09:09:19 AM »
Hello Keith,

This is interesting to me, I remember revolution number 9, so I can relate to this. This is though video art, with the video collage and sound snippets telling the story, with your musical piece as the backdrop.

It feels like a working class lament, not as optimistic as some of your work. But as I say I can relate I lived through it.

I think we're still living through it. The piece contains a number of voices. One of the guitars is, as you say, a working class lament but the vocal and the trumpet reflect working class optimism. As you may have noticed the track ends with the solo trumpet, a sign that despite all, we'll come out on top.

With Revolution 9 I didn't detect any optimism, although I think its a great piece of music. Something I wanted to avoid.

I'm glad you liked it.

Keith

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 04:34:52 PM »
Hi Keith,

I was a little daunted after I read the reviews - didn't know what to expect. I'd be interested to know if you play it for yourself very often. My first rule is that I've got to like my own stuff enough to hear it a hundred times and not cringe too much. Kind of hard to see what you're trying to achieve here. It lacks all the elements that make up a good song in the conventional sense and it leaves me completely emotionally unmoved. So I'd have to give it the thumbs down from a personal point of view.

M

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 04:49:40 PM »
Hi Keith,

I was a little daunted after I read the reviews - didn't know what to expect. I'd be interested to know if you play it for yourself very often. My first rule is that I've got to like my own stuff enough to hear it a hundred times and not cringe too much. Kind of hard to see what you're trying to achieve here. It lacks all the elements that make up a good song in the conventional sense and it leaves me completely emotionally unmoved. So I'd have to give it the thumbs down from a personal point of view.

M

Thanks for the comments Monty. I was surprised you listened to it but pleased you did.

I play my own stuff a few times before posting. I also play them months afterwards to see if I feel the same way. Some of what I've done is awful, some of it ok, more often than not in the same song. I don't hear anything in Revolution 3 that I will dislike in 6 months time.

I achieved what I set out to do, which was to create a piece of music in the vein of Revolution 9 and the end of I Don't Live Today. Neither of them would end up on a greatest hits compilation of either.

Thanks again for the comments,

Keith

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »
Yo diadem.

I like musical creations that push and challenge the way I listen. I think as I've aged my horizons have become more conservative. I used to listen to a lot of Faust,Tangerine Dream,Pink Floyd and Soft Machine,back in the day and this piece reminds me I've become a boring bastard in many ways.  :D

Power to yer elbow Keith.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
I'm very into traditional and melodic work, but not always. This would be perfect when I'm in a certain mood, but not all the time. I have no nits. I think you did a good job of what you did.  ;D  It feels very frenetic to me and reminds me of real life these days, of all the stressors and distractions keeping me from being relaxed and peaceful, yet fully engaged. It could actually kind of be my theme song!  :o

My favorite part is the resolution into the trumpet at the end.

Vicki

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
Simply thought it was great. Thought the song fitted very nicely with the background, so well done in that respect :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
Thanks for the comments much appreciated.

skub I always go somewhere I haven't been musically at least once a year. I've discovered some great bands and a lot of average ones. The most surprising discovery was liking some of Justin Bieber's songs.

Vicki, I like the trumpet at the end as well.

Henry, your comment on youtube was much appreciated and I've subscribed.

Keith

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 10:41:37 AM »
Hi Keith,

You always continue to explore and push the boundaries.
I think the production is great. Tune in to the mood of the piece and it's noticeable how each part works so well with next.
Yes, it's busy and fluid - maybe a stream of gentle chaos - but there's clarity in there also. It's not just a random assembly of sounds thrown together.

Sometimes I want beans on toast - sometimes I want something a bit more complex!

Digger

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 01:50:43 PM »
Okay, I've got to be honest here right off the bat, I didn't like it. I didn't like it from the perspective of a song I would listen to for pleasure or as a piece of music I would listen to for the same reason.

I started to listen to it a few days ago but couldn't make it through to the end so I've had to come back to it.

Having said what I've said, this piece of music wasn't written for the purposes I've mentioned I don't think and I understand that there is a place and a purpose for this. Not everything can, nor should conform.

I can appreciate the craft that has gone into getting all of those abstract and seemingly chaotic ideas to work together and from that perspective I applaud you.

I'm sure that at the right time under the right circumstances, this music is just what is needed. Sitting here with my headphones on just isn't it for me.

Apologies if this comes across as a little negative but I'd just ignore everything I wrote, I'm probably not the correct audience for this in the first place.

Yodasdad

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 07:59:15 PM »
i had a listen...but it's definitely not my cup of tea...i didn't quite know how to review this, to be honest...i always try to take into account what the writer is trying to do or say...but can't really make any worthwhile contribution...i just wanted you to know that i hadn't ignored it
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
Paul and Yoda, thanks for listening. Liking it is not compulsory, just yet :)

Thanks Digger.

Keith