As a general rule of thumb How long should a song be?

• 10 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: October 22, 2016, 02:01:40 PM »
I know this varies. How long is a piece of string etc, but do you aim to work within a range?
For me, I try to keep all my songs under 3 minutes, unless there is a particular story or mood piece that requires longer.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 08:09:34 AM »
It should stop once you've got your message across, be it 1 min or 10. No set rules for me.

+1
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 08:25:39 AM »
Two minutes, max  ;)

Movies should be 90 minutes. Novels 70 000 words. TV dramas should run to one series only.

Way too much bloat in the world these days.
West Country Country Boy

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
2 minutes delboy? I struggle to keep a bum burp under 2 minutes let alone a song. I agree that it 'should' be as long as it needs to be. After all, where would we be if Freddie had lopped a couple of minutes off bohemian rhapsody to keep his record label happy?

Then again I could happily lose a couple of verses of American pie.

Having said this, if I think one of mine has a chance of being commercially viable I will aim to get it under 4 minutes. Otherwise I'll just 'roll with it' - ironically the name of a song which lasts 3:59.

Yodasdad

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »
The song will tell you when it wants to end - ignore it at your peril.
We are all just servants to our songs   ;D

Paul

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:01 PM »
All of my songs end as soon as the listener can reach the "off" button  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 04:35:57 PM »
I would say a "rule of thumb" would be 3:30 - if it is going beyond 4mins then I think it is good to question whether it needs to - sometimes it will and sometimes it is good to edit it down
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 05:04:35 PM »
I go with a range.
Depending upon a variety of variables—structure, style, lyrical content, whatever—I try to keep my songs between 2 and 5 minutes.
Any less than 2 minutes and it's really more of a sketch than anything. Much more than 5 and it starts to drag a bit.
That's not to say there aren't exceptions, but as a general rule, that's what I shoot for.

I also try to keep solos—be they guitar, sax or whatever—relatively short and to the point. Not a bit fan of long, epic solos. But, if that is a part of your style... go for it!

Tracey Cracknell

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 09:31:17 PM »
Hi Micky :) thanks for the invite, it's Tracey  :)
My songs tend to be fairly short I think, especially my early ones when I was scared of the microphone so wanted to be exposed to it for as short a time as possible. Having said that, I have one that tells a story that is about 5 mins long, and I think it holds the attention rather well as there is that story going on. I've heard songs that are just over a minute that I really like as well...Ramona Jo on SC.
As you say, how long is a piece of string. Long enough to get the message across I guess
Tracey

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 08:56:20 PM »
Short songs get more reviews.  ;)

I never think time until I'm done,then I'll trim back as far as I can. I still end up with the odd epic,mind,but that's the way it goes.