A Short Drunken Essay on the 1970s... :-)

• 12 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
Well, on the basis that it was five o’clock somewhere (in my kitchen, actually) I cracked open a couple of beers whilst cooking the tea, slipped some Little Feat into the CD player and went back thirty years. Oh man, I just love that band. I used to play these albums to death and in the re-spinning of these discs this evening it all came back to me. To me this music is as beautiful as the most gorgeous sunset. I think it was Linda Ronstadt who said she missed Little Feat as much as she missed being five years old. I get it. I really do. I’m not sure there’s ever been a better white blues singer and slide guitarist and song-writer than Lowell George. He was my hero back in the sixth form and he still is. I think I need to play more slide!

You know, last week I watched that documentary ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01f1bt0/sweet-home-alabama-the-southern-rock-saga ) that the BBC aired about Southern Rock. That took me back too. Duane Allman was another hero. Dickie Betts, also. That’s how I play a guitar. I never got the Chicago blues thing, but I got the Southern Rock thing – still love me a major pentatonic. Those are the records that I grew up with. I feel guilty (actually, no, I don’t) that I went for the Allman Brothers and Lynyrd Skynyrd and Little Feat and Tom Waits and Jackson Browne rather than The Smiths or Madness or The Specials. Always loved The Stones and The Beatles, of course, but that goes without saying. Back on planet earth I was into that American music and it wasn’t a choice it was just what I was drawn to. That documentary took me back and I grinned so hard my face hurt. Man I wore out my vinyl copy of the first Allman Brothers album working out Duane’s parts and later Midnight Rider was my favourite song for a while (in between Drift Away and The Heart of Saturday Night probably).

What a wonderful week – I feel like I’ve been recharged with some magic fuel that is only offered to a few. I still play Little Martha at gigs and I’ll argue to anyone that’ll listen that Steve Gaines could’ve been one of the greatest ever had he not been killed in that plane crash. Listen to his singing, his song-writing on Street Survivors and once you’ve placed him in the three guitar line up on One More For The Road listen to his playing on that double album and you’ll realise what a master he was.

I don’t mean, or intend, to belittle today’s artists – I’ve no doubt that there are contemporary bands and artists and individuals that have as much effect on the kids today. But these were the guys that did it for me when I first had a guitar in my hands. I just love what they did and I can’t imagine anyone doing it better. It was a time when music was everything, no video games or boxed sets on demand or gyms or iPhones or anything. But like I say, I’m sure it’s the same for sixteen years olds today and they’re worshipping the ground that, I don’t know, Bruno Mars or Ed Sheeran walk on, and they’re analysing and figuring out every off-beat chord and funky bass line and soaring guitar solo that these guys play. In fact, I hope they are. I hope this feeling gets passed to every generation.

But for me, there’s no contest. These guys were the best 

Of course, I’m drunk. On beer and on the funky blues.

Anyway I have an evening of ironing ahead me but I have a Little Feat DVD and more beer…
West Country Country Boy

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 09:07:49 PM »
well thats very interesting derek... ive never heard  little feat but I know a lot about cooking to music while having a good few drinks..
i found the dinner gets cooked much quicker if you listen to punk or metal but theres more of a tendency to splash it all over the walls instead of the plates  ;D
ambient music stops that happening but the dinner takes a lifetime to appear..
dance music is the most likely to cause a accident  
& pink floyd always made me improvise & what arrived on the plates was not always appreciated!

so are you saying little feat is the perfect music for the tipsy cook? :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »
so are you saying little feat is the perfect music for the tipsy cook? :)

Well, for me, tonight, I guess.

Sometimes the planets align and one chooses just the right music for the moment and the mood and then the memories come flooding back.

Now on the Evan Williams whisky, which sounds like a Welsh Trucking firm but it's actually my favourite Kentucky whisky. Nothing like Jack Daniels - much more like a malt than a bourbon. 'Ark at me, as if I have a clue!

Anyway, just watched my first Little Feat DVD and ironed about two Tee Shirts. Now to watch the next concert.  ;D

As an aside, talking of memories, the first song I ever played live (if you exclude Home On The Range - clarinet duo at a school concert) was Rockaway Beach by the Ramones. So I do have some punk in there.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 09:29:49 PM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:18 PM »
I love Little Feat are awesome!!

"Hate To Lose Your Lovin'" has the best sounding drums I have ever heard from a recording

We occasionally throw a few songs in our set list: "Let It Roll", "Texas Twister" and "Long Time Till I Get Over You"

It is great to find another fan!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
Little Feat,one of the tightest bands ever ever ever... 8)

Despite all the dodgy clobber,this is still great,a world away from a lot of generically produced musac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z-GwdaKrn8

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:50:21 PM »
Anyway, just watched my first Little Feat DVD and ironed about two Tee Shirts. Now to watch the next concert.  ;D
You iron t-shirts??? I only iron anything if it's absolutely, definitely, beyond-a-doubt clear it was NOT intended to have that wrinkled look!  :P  ::)  Never, ever t-shirts. Tee Shirts... whatever...

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
ok Little Feat...so what is that type of music called? It seems to be only american?

vicki i iron 20 plus tshirts a week just for one son
when the others come home from uni I have theirs to do aswell

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »
Well, to be fair, the t-shirts in my house all come out of the dryer without wrinkles, so they don't need ironing. They're made out of some kind of knit material, some cotton, some, umm, something else. You'll have to get some like mine. And, unless you're worried about them burning down the house, I bet your kids could learn to iron their own t-shirts.  ;D

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:31:37 PM »
i cant let go of them thats the trouble...im their mum i do their ironing  :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
Yep, ironing extravaganza this weekend. I watched two Little Feat Concerts, a Beatles documentary, three episodes from the BBC's boxset on the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire and an Albert Lee & Hogan's Hero DVD whilst doing all those T-shirts and work-shirts and jeans and what have you. Great music, but the enduring memory is by god those Roman's were cruel bastards and Nero was a fruitloop.

Little Feat... yes, very American. A funky mix of blues and country with, arguably, the greatest slide guitar ever. Masses of syncopation and as tight as duck's proverbial. I think time has done them a disservice, not because their music sounds any less stellar than it ever did, but so many modern American bands, especially new country, have nicked their feel and syncopation and thus it no longer sounds as fresh and unique as it did back in the day. I still have all the cuttings from the music papers from when Lowell George died.
West Country Country Boy

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:05:30 PM »
i cant let go of them thats the trouble...im their mum i do their ironing  :)
I understand the feeling completely. I had a hard time letting my kids speak for themselves. Had my son to the doctor once, who finally told me to let him answer for himself. Same thing happened when he went to college. Guy at the university nicely told me to shut up and let the kid talk.  ;D

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »
Hi,
Once a parent always a parent, but you do have to let go - albeit carefully.
I've got two that you have to slow down and third one needs pushing or he'll never leave.

And please stop all this ironing nonsense, its not healthy and can be dangerous
http://www.sadanduseless.com/2012/07/extreme-ironing/
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 07:48:47 PM »
hahaha are those pics real or are they photoshopped?