konalavadome

Doors of Our Mind

• 20 Replies

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
Hi,

This grew on me as I listened although I do feel it would benefit from maybe a little more harmonic variation at times.

I liked the triplet feel that ended off your sections, reminded me of the Eva Peron line from don't dry for me Argentina.

I was initially a little deterred by the computerised feel to the instruments as others have mentioned but as hard twist said, don't let this put you off, use whatever tools you have at your disposal.

I think the timing could do with a little tidying up and you could use the quantise function in GarageBand to help you with this.  The only thing I would say though is that being to rigid with this could make the instruments sound even more computerised if you don't make other alterations, such as the velocity changes already mentioned.

Definitely worth pursuing this one further though I would say.

Yodasdad

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »
thanks Neil and Yodas dad for the great feedback. I will work on version 4 of the song in due course with the aim of shortening the intro, compressing, amplifying the vocals, and possibly using a live piano. Will update when im done. Im in the middle of writing a rather more complex song right now though so will get that finished before i revisit Doors. Thanks everyone.

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 08:50:01 PM »
I second what everybody else have said. I think you've got a good song here and I'm looking forward to here you're progress. Give it time and patience and your productions will match the songs.

Keep it up! Good stuff.

/S

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 09:28:08 AM »
Hi all,

ive recently returned to this song and made quite a few modifications, including a rhythm guitar and alternative bridge between verses.

I hope this represents an improved version of the song. Hope you like it.

Best,

Micky

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 07:14:01 PM »
Hey Micky,
I wasn't around here for the first time you posted this so it's fresh on me.
I like it - I admire songs that take a big open-ended topic like this and make it catchy.  It's punchy.  The horn section stood out a lot too.
Felt like you have the right ingredients all here to cook up a winner, but maybe still some work needed on the mix / mastering to blend them all together a bit more.  I'm no expert on that stage in the process... I'm sure others on this forum can give some better hints on that part, but I've read even simple things like giving the separate tracks similar reverb treatment can help them feel like they all come from the same place. 
As for the raw materials though - great stuff lyrically and melodically.  Stick with it mate, you're on to a good one here.
Pauly
It's all too beautiful.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 02:26:01 AM »
Hi Micky

Looks like I'm late for the party here but I enjoyed this.
Vocals are good and the melody lines are solid.
A few timing issues on the front end (worst place for them  :'( ) should be easy to fix but it's a quality song  ;D ;D

Keep at it - you got the chops  ;D
Paul