Doors of Our Mind

• 20 Replies

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:36:15 PM »
Hi all,

I've recently written this song and been tinkering around with it. Would love to know what you think. Thanks for listening.

Ive made a number of modifications since i first published this. Hes the new version. For those of you that saw this the first time thanks once again for lending your ears!

Here it is

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/the-doors-of-our-mind

Doors, They're never as we seem to find.
They are the doors of our mind.
Read my mind, as I am reading yours.
Open the doors, let the thoughts Flood into our minds.
Let the systematic system decide
Let the higher energy decide
To lock the doors out of our mind.

The doors of our minds, the tricks they play
As you turn over once again.
Maybe your in a bad time and nothing to keep the beat
Keep the ankles together make that beat
You and I and every human has the doors of their mind
If you don't mind me saying at the doors of their brain.

Cos that is what Jesus came down to tell us
To treat one another the same
Cos we all have the doors,
 cos we all have the doors
The doors to our minds all are allowed
Even if your locked out of your brain.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:29:58 AM by mickyplankton »

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:33:55 PM »
Citing "the sound of silence"?

Real nice song, but rather weird 'production'.
The (mostly quite good) vocals have a hard time competing with the Midi 'noise'. I don't care much for the brass part, and the sound beginning at 2:20 is particularly ugly.

Real instruments (and less) would do the song good IMO.

Cheers,
Bernd
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:01 PM »
Hey Thanks Bernd. Really appreciate the feedback. Youve obviously got a good ear. As this one is all Garageband. Im still learning the ropes in terms of balance. The sound at 2.20 i think is a sampled guitar. My band is rehearsing this at the moment and it sounds ok as an all guitar sound so will attempt to record a live version  in the next few weeks and see how that compares. 

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 04:06:52 PM »
I would like to see your lyrics posted with your songs to assist with reviewing. I believe this is mentioned in the guidelines, too.  :P I guess I just have a cop mentality....

Vicki

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »
The song has a good hook.

The intro makes you feel that there is going to be a nostalgia trip straight away....as does the title.

Like the horns at the end.

Potential there......vocal production needs a bit of polishing.

Sandeep

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 05:32:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Sandeep. Yeah I had a heavy cold at the time of recording the vocals so I need to redo! We are rehearsing this as a full Electric band so I hope to get a live cut done at some stage too.

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 06:25:24 PM »
This is actually quite cool! The vocals are very Joe Strummer. Really sounds like the Clash at points during their poppier exhibitions, particularly Sandinista! era.

Production wise, could do with compressing the vocals and bringing them up in the mix. I really like the horns at the end but agree about that electric fuzz making it messier than it needs to be. I like the piano riff at the beginning, but try messing around with the velocity of the notes in the chord to make it sound more natural (I assume Garage Band has velocity settings like other DAWs). Right now, it's stilted and computerised. If you listen to a real live piano, the player will hit consecutive notes differently and those sorts of dynamics are what brings MIDI instruments to life in a track and stops them sounding so obviously fake.

The song is interesting, catchy and, like I said, very Clash sounding. I like that. A cool retro pop punk vibe.
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
Sorry Vicki. I'm still learning the ropes here. (But I love what I see so far!)

So the Lyrics are as follows:

Doors, They're never as we seem to find.
They are the doors of our mind.
Read my mind, as I am reading yours.
Open the doors, let the thoughts Flood into our minds.
Let the systematic system decide
Let the higher energy decide
To lock the doors out of our mind.

The doors of our minds, the tricks they play
As you turn over once again.
Maybe your in a bad time and nothing to keep the beat
Keep the ankles together make that beat
You and I and every human has the doors of their mind
If you don't mind me saying at the doors of their brain.

Cos that is what Jesus came down to tell us
To treat one another the same
Cos we all have the doors,
 cos we all have the doors
The doors to our minds all are allowed
Even if your locked out of your brain.

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
Jack thanks for the excellent feedback. We are massive fans of the Clash so that's a huge compliment. Thanks! Also appreciate the technical feedback too. Still learning how to get the best out of GarageBand and the compressor mic. There's a lot of default settings I'm just going with for now until I learn what I'm doing.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:58:28 PM »
Sorry Vicki. I'm still learning the ropes here. (But I love what I see so far!)

No worries. I'm sure we've all...well, me, anyway...have failed to read the guidelines at first. I made a misstep or two at first. I still could. But, as you've noticed, this is a great forum, very friendly, so people remind us nicely. :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 12:12:02 AM »
Hi Micky, I thought that was pretty good and it reminded me of something off Sandanista (One of my all time favourite albums) by The Clash. My only criticism would be to say that you sound like you are singing in the bathroom while the rest of the track is carrying on quite happily in another part of the house. Only a minor nit though. Reduce the reverb and get your vocals a lot more in your face. It's a pretty common thing for singers to hide their vocals in the mix. Try it and see. Nice work  :)

John

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »
Regarding the criticism that you should use real instruments instead of midi. 

I can't play an instrument, so I'm stuck with either collaborations or Midi compositions.  I'm impressed that you find a way to write.  Don't let anyone tell you there is a "bad way to write." Just write. 

As far as criticism. . . I'm not sure you are getting the most out of your midi files.  If you are willing to let me work on them, I'd like to see what can be done with instrumentation and subtle variations. 

For me to do that, you would have to e-mail me a midi file of your arrangement.  If you are uncomfortable doing that, I'll totally understand.  I would not be due any writing credits or ownership of your songs. . . all I'd be doing would be considered mixing. . . and low level mixing at that. 

But yours is an interesting concept that I think more could be coaxed out of. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 08:33:14 PM »
Interesting lyrics. I think I like them, but I'm not sure what they mean. Or if they are intended to mean anything, really.

Jack had some good advice for the production. I think I would like to keep the piano and horns in this, but make them sound more natural and real. Right now it's too "bangy", if that makes sense.

And, as others mentioned, the vocal sounds like it's at the back of the room while the instrumentation is up front. That needs to be reversed, I think.

It's a nice, energetic piece, good for dancing. I hope to hear an updated version eventually. Maybe once your band makes a live recording?

Vicki

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 12:06:52 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback once again. Lyrics are a little hard to interpret having looked through them again so I do agree with you Vicki!

The song is meant to convey the idea that our minds can be very difficult to understand and for some can be the challenge of a lifetime, but ultimately we can all connect with one another on some level.

Hard Twistmusic. I really appreciate the offer and if I'd had no feedback from anyone else may well have taken you up, but feedback from Jack and Pompey has prompted me to made a few amends of my own so I'd like to see how far I can take it before I hand over to another. My band is also thinking about taking this in another direction and making it an all guitar song so it may morph into something else entirely! Hope you don't mind.

Thanks all. Love the passion and expertise that is in this forum. It's exactly what I was looking for. You don't get this on Soundcloud!

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
Micky,
Hi enjoyable couple of minutes and it really gets going towards the end.
Suggestions: cut down the piano intro, as Pompeyjazz says let the vocals lead, and watch the timing between the instrumentation, getting them all synced-up will make it sound more powerful.
 :)
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..