konalavadome

To chorus or not to chorus?

• 12 Replies

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« on: October 19, 2016, 08:03:14 PM »
Aloha,

Just wondering how we all feel about writing a song without a chorus.   I'm working on a lyric and melody at the moment and it doesn't seem to be lending itself to a chorus, more a complete story telling.
Do you think a chorus is essential?  Have you ever written a song without one or am I just been ridiculous?
Cheers
A

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
Gordon Lightfoot did it, so you should be able to. And does Bohemian Rhapsody actually have a chorus? It's just kind of "through composed" isn't it?

Vicki

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
I ran into this same predicament with my latest song called Fresh Lemonade and decided to just leave it without a chorus.

Don't be afraid to experiment. That said, I think choruses are great, they are the part everyone remembers and sings along to at clubs, along with the radio, etc. etc.  They're the hook, the memorable part and really useful for you to get play length in your song by just repeating your most awesome verse.

I think trying to force it into a story song will always be unsatisfying and it's possible to write a good song without a chorus.

Here's an article called 10 amazing songs without choruses:

http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/10-amazing-songs-without-choruses-762322

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:21:37 AM »
It completely depends on why you are writing it

If you want people to remember it, it be catchy, and "sound like a proper song to most people" then a chorus or repeating refrain would be good IMHO

That is not say you HAVE to have a chorus and there are examples of excellent songs with no chorus - but I would say the majority do
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

AnitaFox

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:38 AM »
Thanks for your replies.  I will keep working on it and see where it leads.

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:08 AM »
Another way of looking at this is that you can have an instrumental chorus. A couple of songs spring to mind whose instrumental parts are the most memorable bit of the song, e.g. Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty)
or There She Goes (the Las)
- you could argue that There She Goes doesn't have a chorus. I think a more accurate analysis would be that it doesn't have a verse though - it's basically one long chorus with a short bridge.

My personal approach is to take the song where it wants to go in the writing stages. Unless you're looking for commercial success, don't be afraid to buck any trends. Have fun with it :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:56:23 AM by tone »
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:00:29 PM »
Hey Anita,

Is a good question, most of my 'raps' didn't have a chorus,  and though now I tend to consider them as essential in my own work I still think there's plenty of reason not to, such as a really strong story-telling experience. (California Drama by the Racenteurs is a good example.

There are still plenty of ways to compensate for not having a vocal chorus such as an instrumental chorus as tone mentioned and I often find using reoccurring themes and lines of different verses which are the same / nearly the same also helps. (I..e finishing each verse with something like "Then I was happy", "then I was sad", "the. I was mad" - but better obviously shamefully bad example really)

boolio

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
I guess only about 1 in 3 of my songs have a 'proper' vocal chorus, although others I have done musically and one of the main criticisms I hear..."Where's the chorus?" so either I'm not very good at this songwriting malarkey (which is entirely possible!) or choruses are 'expected' by the listener.Just an observation...keep or sweep!  :)
https://soundcloud.com/user-938884922

Quavers, Crotchets, Doritos. What's the difference?

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
Write the song as you feel it needs to be written. Don´t force a chorus where one isn´t needed necessarily.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:31:37 PM »
There are various forms or structures in songwriting through the ages, 0f which the Beatles were the finest exponent of verse, chorus M8 structure were still using today. 0ne alternative From the pre war songbook era is where you essentially just have verses, and a middle 8 and then verse. The important point was to have a repeated first or last line. E.g. First time I every Saw your face. Folk do this too.

Anyway on a related point I'm hearing lots of double choruses on the radio at the moment, Often one with lyrics followed by to the same chords, but with chants or music refrain. Going to consider that next time it's appropraite.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Oldbutyet

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 08:11:33 PM »
Aloha,

Just wondering how we all feel about writing a song without a chorus.   I'm working on a lyric and melody at the moment and it doesn't seem to be lending itself to a chorus, more a complete story telling.
Do you think a chorus is essential?  Have you ever written a song without one or am I just been ridiculous?
Cheers
A

It all depend on what you're hearing back on recording, it then the song will tell you for sure whether it need a chorus or not, you mention your song is more a complete story telling so i would ask is your story sounding better without a chorus than it would sound with a chorus and also, it all depends on your melody as well and how you sing your lyrics.

There's a story telling song that i wrote that goes on for about 7 minutes which i haven't recorded yet but in that song there is about 4 lyric lines that i repeat twice, but because i repeat them its not a chorus, those four lines that i repeat twice is a crucial part of the story in the song and as i said, again it all depends on your melody as well and how you sing your lyrics, the story telling song that i wrote has a melody to it that flows according to the story and i sing it according to the story, so that's what i mean when i ask it your story sounding better without a chorus than it would sound with a chorus.

You probably have your song finish by now and i hope it work out the way you wanted, if not then i hope all that i wrote makes sense and might be of some help to you, looking forward to hearing or if just lyrics then reading.

Tracey Cracknell

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:19 PM »
Hi Anita :-)
You are totally not being ridiculous. I've written songs that I'm very happy with that are pretty much a story, I've also written songs that are pretty much ONLY a chorus, or just a chorus and a bridge. I don't think there are really any rules ? Apart from to let it come out of you how it wants to come out ?