Second Century Superman (Spooky or What competition entry)

• 23 Replies

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:48 PM »
Creepy as this one,John.

Quite a Bowie vibe going on.

Mister versatile scores again.  :)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:59 PM »

Hi PJ

Beautiful song.....really nice feel
 Eerie rather than spooky, very laid
 back and relaxed, felt like I was going
 to melt...

Loved the Bass, and the strange chord
 changes.

Excellent work..

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »
I wanted to say a big thank you to everybody who has reviewed this song.

PaulAds - Yeah, I like strange chord changes  :)

Scottlevi - Thanks for comments on vocals, so tricky to get them right

Vicki - Thanks, it was one of those songs that just appeared out of nowhere

TinaM - Funny, my wife mentioned Tony Robinson when she first heard it. I love being a chameleon and trying something different. Love playing with sound clips as well  :)

Martyn - Cheers Our Kid  :) - Guitar Solos are great fun. Always record them dry and then browse through the zillions of presets in Guitar Rig

Tom - Dave Gilmore eh ? - Never thought of that one

Kev - Thanks, yes agree about the panned vocals. Maybe it's more eerie than spooky  :)

Del - Thanks, funny about the Pink Floyd references as they are never really a band I've been into. Must have been all those hazy nights listening to Dark Side Of the Moon  :)

Sandeep - Thanks, I've been messing about with some bundled software I got with my Axiom keyboard (Ignite) There are some great synth sounds included.

Rightly - If somebody had said to me a year ago that my production was too clean I would have been so pleased, but now it's maybe too clean and I want to make it dirty again  :)

Shiny - Thanks so much for your compliments. Agree I could make some minor mods but the bass is just a first take. I sort of write songs as I'm recording them so had no idea what the bass line would be before I played it. Actually, you really made me laugh as the "She" voice is me as well. Just panned and a bit of reverb  :)

Wolfi - Thanks Man !

Phil - Yeah, getting that creepy feeling is not always easy. Thanks so much

Yodasdad - Thank you so much, again I agree about the vocal pan

Skub - Bowie eh ? You're in my good books  :)

Binladeda - Thanks, I do like experimenting with strange chord changes

Thank you all  :)

John

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 11:16:20 AM »
Hi John,

Excellent write.

Loving the vocal work.
Great atmosphere throughout.
I like the experimentation in the actual mix. Lots of clarity, interesting panning.

Really liked it.

Digger

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 06:26:41 PM »
John,

This is a beauty!  I love the Pitter-Pat of the the bass drum skittering through your endlessly changing planetary soundscapes ....Love the way the perfectly toned vocals drop in with such power...
For me this is a distillation of King Crimson/Bowie/and Floyd all wonderfully flowing through your imaginative originality..
I'll just close my eyes now and sink into another listen..... So very cool and sweet!!!

igg

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 09:14:12 PM »
PompeyJohn,
Great intro. Really enjoying the slinky little number, with the washy synths and trippy drums and all. And it really suited you vocals too, nice and jazzy. Lead bass too:-)
Only question was around the history as where this 2nd century warrior was. They didn't invade Britain until the 5th century I think, although thats Diggers territory.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
A couple of hours!!!! That's just not right or fair. it would take me that long to set my gear up and have a cup of tea.

The thing which works best here is the combination of your voice and the ambiance of the song, particularly in the verses. Plenty of space for the imagination to work as well. It's a good tune and you sing it beautifully. Lovely production and playing it's just lyrically a little bare for my taste but I tend to overwrite everything so ignore me.

Lovely track which I enjoyed a lot.

M