Something Evil This Way Comes.....Spooky or What?

• 26 Replies

jacksimmons

• Solo Gig
    • Jack Simmons Music Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 11:55:10 PM »
I'm unable to compare it to your other stuff because I'm yet to hear any (newbie), but this seems like a pretty solid rocker to me. That's a killer riff all the way through. The spooky intro was cool, very ambient, actually verging on the scary which I rarely find with music - put that down to the creepy laughing. My only nitpick with this is that it felt too long. At 40 odd seconds, I found myself wanting the song to start.

Your vocals remind me a little of Nick Cave's on Red Right Hand. That's a scary song and a scary performance, so I mean that in a good way. They are far too low in the mix to work out any words without reading a long to the lyrics, however. It's late, so I'm listening on headphones as opposed to my studio speakers, but right now it is all electric guitar for me. I would definitely consider dialling the guitars back.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jack-simmons-1/albums
Bandcamp: https://jacksimmonsmusic.bandcamp.com/

"When I play a dope melody, anything less than the best is a felony." - Robert Matthew Van Winkle

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:16 PM »
Hey Tom,this is a bit different for you.  :D

Should fare well for the scary comp topic.

My only beef is the lack of beef...as in,no bass guitar. For me any rock song doesn't start until the bass begins to drive. It would give the song a hell of a lot more oomph.  :)

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »
Don't ask for whom the bell tolls eh? ... Good groove and some great guitar work in there. I particularly like the 'doubled' effect at about 2 minutes and then again at 2:43ish. Brain's too fuzzy this time of night to figure out what you did there. I kept thinking you could make something much bigger with that g--f#-e-f#-e phrase. Maybe slow everything for a bit and kick those notes out over bass drum and cymbal crashes.

Good, gravelly vocal. That's gotta hurt?

...and it ain't over 'till ... Oh! ... it's over!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 06:11:33 AM »

Hi Tom,

The Prince of Darkness would be impressed.
 Be careful, he might ask you to join his band ;D

Full of fear and menace and pain...loved it ;D

perfect for the comp..

Thanks Bin....always a pleasure!

I'm unable to compare it to your other stuff because I'm yet to hear any (newbie), but this seems like a pretty solid rocker to me. That's a killer riff all the way through. The spooky intro was cool, very ambient, actually verging on the scary which I rarely find with music - put that down to the creepy laughing. My only nitpick with this is that it felt too long. At 40 odd seconds, I found myself wanting the song to start.

Your vocals remind me a little of Nick Cave's on Red Right Hand. That's a scary song and a scary performance, so I mean that in a good way. They are far too low in the mix to work out any words without reading a long to the lyrics, however. It's late, so I'm listening on headphones as opposed to my studio speakers, but right now it is all electric guitar for me. I would definitely consider dialing the guitars back.

Thanks Jack.........I appreciate your crit.....I don't have studio quality recording equip.....it is what it is, I guess. The next ear phones I get, I'll buy some studio grade!
Thanks again!!

Hey Tom,this is a bit different for you.  :D

Should fare well for the scary comp topic.

My only beef is the lack of beef...as in,no bass guitar. For me any rock song doesn't start until the bass begins to drive. It would give the song a hell of a lot more oomph.  :)

Tommy ain't got no bass :'(.....need help with that one!! :-\
Thanks for stopping by ;)

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls eh? ... Good groove and some great guitar work in there. I particularly like the 'doubled' effect at about 2 minutes and then again at 2:43ish. Brain's too fuzzy this time of night to figure out what you did there. I kept thinking you could make something much bigger with that g--f#-e-f#-e phrase. Maybe slow everything for a bit and kick those notes out over bass drum and cymbal crashes.

Good, gravelly vocal. That's gotta hurt?

...and it ain't over 'till ... Oh! ... it's over!

Hey there Shiny.....no doubling, it is an extra guitar track. Comming up with those add-on tracks, made this recording the fun that it is. Thanks for noticing. And the gravely voice didn't hurt a bit ;)....I'm married with kids....I use that voice on my kids all the time  :P

Oh, by the way......"ShinyThang"  ???  Does that mean you can throw metaphysical balls of extra sensory power to those who can perceive them? You know, six-sense, telekinesis kinda stuff? You know, like The Shinning :o   Now, that is scary!!!
Thanks soooo much for stopping by....it's appreciated!

And thanks to all who have listened!!
                                                                     -Tom
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:32:00 AM by IronKnee »
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2016, 03:36:24 PM »
Hi Tom

Nice one!
Great to hear a rockier you - quality vocals and guitar work as we expect from you
I enjoyed it - good luck in the comp!

Paul

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 07:00:11 PM »
Yeeeow!!!

And here I was grooving to the 'shrooms when this hit....
Bells, wind and I start hearing voices laughing....And then ZZ Tom comes on stage and blows me away.....Oh well ...
Great powerful gravel groove....love the power and drive...!!!!

Yeah.... a real rocker to shake the witches off their brooms....

igg

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »
Hi Tom

Nice one!
Great to hear a rockier you - quality vocals and guitar work as we expect from you
I enjoyed it - good luck in the comp!

Paul

Thanks Paul!!
Yeeeow!!!

And here I was grooving to the 'shrooms when this hit....
Bells, wind and I start hearing voices laughing....And then ZZ Tom comes on stage and blows me away.....Oh well ...
Great powerful gravel groove....love the power and drive...!!!!

Yeah.... a real rocker to shake the witches off their brooms....

igg

And thanks to you, as well!!

Happy Halloween, everyone!
                                                      8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »
What!?!  ???
 I turn my back for just a few days and then suddenly both Paulski and IronKnee have invaded my turf! C'mon guys, give me a break. I'm the rocker around here, right?  ;D

Seriously though, great to hear you in this genre and you do it very well. Found the intro way to long and the track needs a bass badly or is it one there? If so, I can't hear it. Good to hear you grabbing an electric, some great riffing there. Overall I guess the production could be improved but the song/performance is very good and the current production does give it a raw and sort of "genuine" touch.

Welcome to the dark side!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 03:16:50 PM »
another good, mean growler

plenty spooky and atmospheric

great heavy guitar...i'd have liked more (some) bass guitar in there too thought the vocals were a little low in the mix...but it's not easy to get the projection in that lower register, i guess

excellent riffing...great vocals too...a contender for sure
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »
Tom,

Great effects at the beginning and then that chainsaw electric guitar comes in and we're off - what a great tone. Your vocals are too low in the mix for my taste but otherwise production is great and i like your vocal approach - growly!

Kind of reminded me of a cross between ZZ Top and Alice Cooper.

Very effective and accomplished.

M

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 09:02:43 PM »
Tom,
Great to hearing you rocking out - which came first the acoustic or rock?
I liked the drumming and riff's reminded me of a more bluesy early sabbath.
Not sure you needed the wind intro or as Tina says may be fade into the that electric, electric.
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 06:30:43 AM »
Thanks Jams, Paul, Monty and Neil!!
I appreciate it guys!!

The acoustic came first
8)

-Tom