konalavadome

Songwriter to artist contract

• 18 Replies

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 09:34:00 PM »
No probs with getting legal advice and asking for a bit of leeway but I'd be uber careful trying to hardball him too much. It's a fantastic opportunity for you to get a song out there by a signed artist and to make money from it. But more importantly it's an even bigger opportunity to establish some cred and a reputation as a writer - long term that's probably worth more than royalties on this particular song unless it turns into a Gangnam Style phenomenon. It'd be a shame if you push too hard and they pull out of the deal altogether.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 10:11:55 PM »
But more importantly it's an even bigger opportunity to establish some cred and a reputation as a writer - long term that's probably worth more than royalties on this particular song unless it turns into a Gangnam Style phenomenon. It'd be a shame if you push too hard and they pull out of the deal altogether.

I could not agree more
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2016, 08:44:09 AM »
Hi,
I have recently been approached by an artist abroad through a friend, who is quite well known overseas and has been for sometime now. So he has a decent following and has definitely made money from music.

I have sent him a couple of songs, which he likes. He said he would like to do renditions of them. Meaning I still own the song, but for his 'rendition', he wants 50% of the publishing.

I wrote every lyrics of the songs to guitar. He will now go and get them produced, record, and his label and team will push it and get it heard.

Would you give away 50% of your publishing? They will definitely be putting a lot of effort into this.
This would be my first official release as a songwriter too.

I am also very sceptical of the agreement he sent me, as he wanted to say he was also a co-writer!
But he has since agreed that I can amend whatever I want.

I have no publisher so this would be a songwriter - artist contract? Or would my contract need to be with his label? And so far why is it only an agreement?

Complicated stuff! Anyone with any words of advice please do share them with me! :)

YOU ASKED:   "Would you give away 50% of your publishing? They will definitely be putting a lot of effort into this?" 

MY ANSWER:  Personally, I'd give away 100% of the "publishing" and accept only 1/2 the royalties (or even less.)  Part of something is worth WAY more than all of nothing. 

YOU WROTE:  I have sent him a couple of songs, which he likes. He said he would like to do renditions of them. Meaning I still own the song, but for his 'rendition', he wants 50% of the publishing.

I wrote every lyrics of the songs to guitar. He will now go and get them produced, record, and his label and team will push it and get it heard.

I am also very sceptical of the agreement he sent me, as he wanted to say he was also a co-writer!
But he has since agreed that I can amend whatever I want.

MY TAKE ON YOUR COMMENTS:  When he/she/they talk about "doing a rendition" my understanding would be that they are going to do an arrangement that is not like your own.  That they are going to change and (they hope) improve upon your work.  If they do that, they are entitled (as I understand it) to a writer's credit.  I would not stand in the way of that.  It does not sound unethical to me, and it does not sound unusual to me. 

Take all that with a grain of salt.  I could easily be wrong in my interpretation. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2016, 08:54:55 AM »
You don't get a writers credit for producing or re arranging a song...I get by with a little help from my friends version by Joe Cocker is a good example. it was changed beyond recognition but was still a Lennon/Mcartney song..

the lyrics and the tune are what counts regardless of how it is interpreted..
best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!