konalavadome

Is there a female singer/ songwriter who could rearrange an existing song?

• 1 Replies

David_Gardiner

• Busker
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
As some people here will know I've been working on a stage musical for the last year or so with a lot of help from other people. It's a 'labour of love' project, not a commercial one. So far about half the songs have been completed and recorded, but one in particular needs a major rearrangement to fit in with what's happening on stage. It would probably be simplest if the same person could do the arrangement and also record the amended version. Very little or no accompaniment is needed, but if you want to add a very simple single instrument (probably harmonica or honky-tonk piano) backing that would be fine.

Here is my original invitation for somebody to turn the lyrics into a song:

http://davidgardiner.net/Invitation.html

...and here is a finished recording that somebody has sent me:

https://soundcloud.com/david-gardiner-8/a-girl-who-gets-around-big-production-version

She's done a great job and it's a lovely recording, but she HASN't READ THE INSTRUCTIONS (!) and what she has given me couldn't possibly fit in with the action on the stage. It needs to be rearranged and re-recorded with a completely different kind of mood, and instrumental passages need to be added to allow the stage action to take place. It's all fully described on the 'Invitation' page and the description on the Soundcloud page.

Is there any chance that somebody could keep Lily Brooke's melody (more or less) but rearrange the song in such a way that I can actually use it?

If the project appeals to you maybe you could email me in the first instance so that we can communicate easily and I can explain a bit more as necessary. My email address is sirat@davidgardiner.net

Thanks for your time.

David.

David_Gardiner

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 11:12:39 AM »
This is an update: I've been sent a great version of the song by a singer/songwriter named Dayna Lynn in British Columbia, Canada, so I don't think I need any more help on this one:

https://soundcloud.com/david-gardiner-8/a-girl-who-gets-around-stage-version

In fact there is now only one remaining set of lyrics needing a melody and arrangement, which is for a young male voice (since the character in the musical is a teenager) and it's a kind of 'teenage angst' song that's used at two points in the play with slightly different words. here it is if anybody is interrested. Mood 'anxious', style, simple ballad with single instrument accompaniment:

Danny’s Confession Song

It’s way beyond what I should have to cope with
I don’t know what to say or who to tell
Should I speak at Connor’s trial as a witness
Should I talk to Pedro’s family as well?

What would it change if I should make a statement,
Explain the lead-up to the dark event?
Can anything be learned from how it happened,
That similar disasters might prevent?

Would I be seen as seeking out the limelight
Pretending there was something that I knew?
Would I be making mountains out of mole-hills
My story adding nothing that was new?

I need to talk to someone more impartial
My father’s mind is firmly made up
I need to get perspective and some distance
To know if I’ve been served a poison cup

It’s way beyond what I should have to cope with
I don’t know what to say or who to tell
There must be someone wise that I can turn to
With guidance he can offer me as well.
Someone who can help me to unburden
Someone I can trust to never tell…