• 46 Replies

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« on: October 07, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
Following on from the best gig thread, I had an idea for this thread: what's the best song you know that we won't have heard of?

A great way to hear new music I reckon.

I'll kick the ball into play with this wee number courtesy of the Lost Soul Band - You can't win them all mum

(no idea what the user generated video is about...)

New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 11:17:42 PM »
Crumbs...i've come across  loads of songs by unknowns that i liked....but i will submit this , not saying their unknown,,actually i saw them do this at the Hopfarm fest in the acoustic tent..although listened to them a few yrs before.

Erland and the carnival.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 11:21:48 PM »
Hmmm.... I'm gonna set the cat among the pigeons with my choice I guess but I.m hoping no one takes offence at the tone of the song. Basically by dint of where and when I was born I've been raised on songs (and poems) of oppression, struggle, resistance, emigration and resilience not just on the national question but also on the class issue too (I'm unapologetically and unashamedly part of the 99%!). Despite writing many daft trashy pop lyrics I have had the privilege and pleasure of enjoying and devouring some of the most profound artistic works ever created.My choice is a ballad called Joe McDonnell that relates the story of the 5th person to die on hunger strike in 1981 The point isn't about getting anyone to agree or disagree with the actions of the guy the song is about but the chorus in the song is still one of the most powerful I have ever encountered. It's not resplendent with big words or abstract imagery just basically calls it as the guy sees it but man does it pack a punch

« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 11:29:57 PM by Sing4me88 »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 12:23:05 AM »
heres mine
a bunch of wildboys making a fabulous load of noise ..the hellacopters - gotta get some action now

& to show girls can make even more noise...the donnas - take it off

i just love the raw sound of both these

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 08:03:58 AM »

I bought this 45 in 1968 and played it over and over again,
 drove my family mad......but for some reason I love it ;D ;D

Puts a BIG smile on my face when I listen to it now ;D
 Ahhh....those were the days  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:30 AM »
This was a big song in the late 80s in the UK so some may have heard it but it really made me realise how amazing music was

For me it is a lesson in hooks and sampling and is probably the sole reason I am so in to pop music even though I am guitarist that loves blues, rock, funk etc.

Some famous songs/hooks were sampled and the hi-hat is even a sample aerosol spray

This is a great song from my childhood so enjoy...

Theme From S'Express
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCW3RJNRIw
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 10:54:53 AM »
One of the b-sides of an obscure 1970s ep.

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:49 PM »
Nice, looking forward to checking these out later.

Going to bend the rules slightly and do a little known remix of a few well known artists (White Stripes, Biggie, Tupac, Big L). Not generally a remix fan but this one has stook with me for years

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 03:34:41 PM »
Following on from the best gig thread, I had an idea for this thread: what's the best song you know that we won't have heard of?

A great way to hear new music I reckon.

I'll kick the ball into play with this wee number courtesy of the Lost Soul Band - You can't win them all mum

(no idea what the user generated video is about...)

This one reminds me of the band James. I love it!

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 03:38:22 PM »
This song, from the 2007 album by The Roches, is a stunner. Reimagines Jesus as a modern-day everyman, struggling to make a life for himself: going to work in the morning, falling in love, and having kids. I adore this song:
"Jesus Shaves"

The chorus still gets me every time:
"Blessed are the ones who make peace
Blessed are the ones who scrape by
Blessed are the ones living holy lives
Here's to the rest of us who try"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 03:45:49 PM by PopTodd »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
This song, from the 2007 album by The Roches, is a stunner. Reimagines Jesus as a modern-day everyman, struggling to make a life for himself: going to work in the morning, falling in love, and having kids. I adore this song:
"Jesus Shaves"

"This video is not available" :(

Really enjoyed listening to the other suggestions though (except Boydie tut tut I already knew that one) :D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 06:43:44 PM »
"Jesus Shaves"

"This video is not available" :(

Really enjoyed listening to the other suggestions though (except Boydie tut tut I already knew that one) :D
Weird, I just clicked the link and it's working just fine for me. You in the UK? Maybe it's a European thing?

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »
Here is a live version that you will hopefully be able to check out. Only 2 of the 3 sisters in this one, but you can still hear the song.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 10:27:18 PM »
Hmmm.... I'm gonna set the cat among the pigeons with my choice I guess but I.m hoping no one takes offence at the tone of the song. Basically by dint of where and when I was born I've been raised on songs (and poems) of oppression, struggle, resistance, emigration and resilience not just on the national question but also on the class issue too (I'm unapologetically and unashamedly part of the 99%!). Despite writing many daft trashy pop lyrics I have had the privilege and pleasure of enjoying and devouring some of the most profound artistic works ever created.My choice is a ballad called Joe McDonnell that relates the story of the 5th person to die on hunger strike in 1981 The point isn't about getting anyone to agree or disagree with the actions of the guy the song is about but the chorus in the song is still one of the most powerful I have ever encountered. It's not resplendent with big words or abstract imagery just basically calls it as the guy sees it but man does it pack a punch

Great song having heard it in a while, its one of those songs that you don't need music to sing it, lovely choice.

This one is sung by Luke Kelly  "Scorn Not His Simplicity"  written by musician and songwriter Phil Coulter, his first son was born with Down's syndrome, as far as i can find this is the only live recording of Luke singing this song.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 04:56:44 AM »
I absolutely was enthralled by "Scorn Not His Simplicity."  Loved the one by "The Donnas."  Liked a lot of these.  

Here is one with no lyrics and one with lyrics.  Almost certain most of you haven't heard either.  

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-avg-fh_lsonsw&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&hspart=avg&p=David+Arkenstone+%2B+Full+Sail#id=1&vid=91897bb0f66a2a56f737233a2598930b&action=click

The Marty Robbins song wasn't my first choice for an obscure song you've never heard with lyrics.  That would have been "Kelly Told Ann" by Tommy James and the Shondells. . . but I simply couldn't find it.   But the Marty Robbins song is a really good one . . . and environmental song twenty years before it's time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:08:47 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.