The best song we've never heard of

• 46 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 04:58:15 AM »

A great way to hear new music I reckon.

I'll kick the ball into play with this wee number courtesy of the Lost Soul Band - You can't win them all mum

Great music.  Excellent band.  Marvelous vocals.  Well worth the listen.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2016, 05:00:15 AM »
Crumbs...i've come across  loads of songs by unknowns that i liked....but i will submit this , not saying their unknown,,actually i saw them do this at the Hopfarm fest in the acoustic tent..although listened to them a few yrs before.

Erland and the carnival.

They were unknown to me. . . and I'm very happy to have gotten the chance to "know them" via this listen.  Very nice song and I even liked the video even though I usually think they just get in the way of listening.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 05:02:47 AM »

I bought this 45 in 1968 and played it over and over again,
 drove my family mad......but for some reason I love it ;D ;D

Puts a BIG smile on my face when I listen to it now ;D
 Ahhh....those were the days  ;D

My first thought was "Nirvana an unknown band?" 

Then I listened. . . different "Nirvana."  I like this older "Nirvana" better.  Loved the song.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 05:05:01 AM »
This song, from the 2007 album by The Roches, is a stunner. Reimagines Jesus as a modern-day everyman, struggling to make a life for himself: going to work in the morning, falling in love, and having kids. I adore this song:
"Jesus Shaves"

The chorus still gets me every time:
"Blessed are the ones who make peace
Blessed are the ones who scrape by
Blessed are the ones living holy lives
Here's to the rest of us who try"

I love social commentary in a song.  Wonderfully thoughtful lyric and a perfectly simple guitar based instrumental to just let the lyric take the lead.  I thought this was a wonderful song.

Thank you Tone for starting this thread.  It's easy to miss just how important it is for a songwriter to understand what inspires other listeners and other songwriters.  This is a very important insight into what people who do NOT live inside our own heads think and hear and enjoy.  VERY important imo.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:10:47 AM by hardtwistmusic »

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2016, 07:13:59 AM »
One of the b-sides of an obscure 1970s ep.

Dang think you've just changed my life  with this one, listen to a few more after and he's fantastic!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 07:15:45 PM »
How about Darrell Scott and Hopkinsville? Not exactly an obscure artist, but this version of this song is stunning. To me this is just perfect. It was one of just a few occasions when I've literally stopped the car to listen to something, the day I first heard this.

https://youtu.be/8jJ0HSWTAP4
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 07:17:30 PM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 08:17:32 PM »
delboy those headphones look like theyve got a big extra  speaker on the top...has that man got a extra ear on the top of his head?
He sounds good.... but I want a pair (sorry a triple ) of those headphones!  ;D

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 11:13:44 PM »
This mid-60s single from a Scottish sister group is fantastic. And has an excellent guitar break from a very, very young (probably 16 years old) Jimmy Page.

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 11:17:35 PM »
And, do any of you know a band called The Cleaners From Venus?
One of the several guises of the wonderful Martin Newell of Wivenhoe, UK. He's been making homespun pop music since the late 70s, at the forefront of the home recording movement.
This one, from the mid 80s is my favorite of his:
"Albion's Daughter"

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »
This mid-60s single from a Scottish sister group is fantastic. And has an excellent guitar break from a very, very young (probably 16 years old) Jimmy Page.
that was interesting... i love jimmy pages session work....was that song realy one of the best youve heard tho?

And, do any of you know a band called The Cleaners From Venus?

yes i know martyn newell ..i live in venus ...i mean essex...& i have a double best of his ....i dont think he can realy sing tho...otherwise id like him a lot

i would post more songs but i dont think most people in this thread listen to what others post
its the same with all these type of threads

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 10:13:37 PM »
There have been a couple on this thread that I really liked - but as I've said before who needs to discover more personal music? I already have enough 45s, LPs, CDs, and MP3s that I love and that, because time is short, I will never listen to again in this life. I find that thought terribly sad. Imagine loving an album desperately but knowing you'll never hear it again? But once in a while a thread like this is worth exploring. And the forum itself gives me enough new music and means I can avoid Radio 1 :-)
West Country Country Boy

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 10:36:18 PM »
derek I have loads of albums that I love that I dont listen to anymore... I dont need to ..I know them back to front...so I look for new thrills ..I get bored quick...but the best stuff is already forever imprinted in my head
...you sound like a serious collector!
i remember doing that & it interfered with my enjoyment of music  :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 10:52:08 PM »
Here's one from the might Ewan McColl and Peggy Seeger 'Companeros' about the Fidelistas and the Cuban Revolution. Hell of a song that captures the tumult of revolution and struggle with an amazing turn of phrase in the chorus. I've heard several covers but there's nothing like the real thing!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 11:34:09 PM »
Not really a collector, Tinam. Just a slow learner who is time poor. It's not just music, I read the same books many times because I love them all the while knowing that I'm missing out on new books. I think simply being a musician does impact on the enjoyment, though. It's hard to listen purely for pleasure - which is why I like all those old albums. I've done all the thinking, now I get to do the luxuriating,
West Country Country Boy

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 11:42:05 PM »
An old fave of mine that has stayed with me over the years is Hunted by The Passions. Check it out dudes  :)