konalavadome

Being a teacher and an artist

• 3 Replies

misswhiterabbit

• Open Mic
« on: September 28, 2016, 07:57:09 PM »
Perhaps this is a bit of a niche problem so apologies in advance! I was just wondering if anyone else has a job that requires them to be a 'role model' and therefore affects their song writing.

For example I'm a primary school teacher and every time I write a lyric I'm imagining my class of 10 year olds listening to them and I have to be careful - in this day and age kids are very technologically advanced (they learn coding from Year 2!) so they always managed to find my music. I have to assume they will hear it so it means I'm constantly censoring my work.

Even ther artwork for my new EP (see my profile pic). I had to have it checked by the head teacher and then by the council. This then resulted in me having to crop it slightly so that my naked hips weren't visible (just my hips not bum!)

Anyone else out there in this frustrating position?

Alice

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 09:24:29 PM »
I suffer from a similar malaise.

I live in fear that someone of note may in fact realise I am a stellar talent,as yet undiscovered. The ensuing discovery may sever me from my current freedom and make me a multi-millionaire prisoner. I may become the slave of wanton females who desire only my physical attributes and are careless of my sensitive side.  :(

Thus far in my 61 years I have crafily avoided detection.  :)

Mined ewe,primary school occupants are much worser...

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
Perhaps this is a bit of a niche problem so apologies in advance! I was just wondering if anyone else has a job that requires them to be a 'role model' and therefore affects their song writing.

For example I'm a primary school teacher and every time I write a lyric I'm imagining my class of 10 year olds listening to them and I have to be careful - in this day and age kids are very technologically advanced (they learn coding from Year 2!) so they always managed to find my music. I have to assume they will hear it so it means I'm constantly censoring my work.

Even ther artwork for my new EP (see my profile pic). I had to have it checked by the head teacher and then by the council. This then resulted in me having to crop it slightly so that my naked hips weren't visible (just my hips not bum!)

Anyone else out there in this frustrating position?

Alice

In another world I had to be careful what I said about politics so understand what you're going through. I had a few close shaves but survived and am now free to say what I want. Took decades though.

I'd grab the opportunity for your songwriting though. You could find alternative ways of saying what you really want to say. Folk music has always had a way of saying one thing and meaning another.

Good luck and don't get too frustrated.

Keith

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »
My wife is a primary school teacher and avoids all social media etc.

I would suggest developing a "stage name" so that you are harder to find and can separate your personal life from your professional life

You are entitled to a life outside of school (although I completely understand that between the marking, planning and shadow of Ofsted this may be difficult at the best of times!!)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic