Advice on a particular publisher showing interest?

• 9 Replies

danproducerman

• Busker
    • www.facebook.com/danscholesproducer
« on: September 29, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »
Hello everyone

Hope everyone is good! It's been a while since I posted but was hoping some of you might be able to offer some advice!

I have been approaching a number of publishers lately regarding some songs I've been co-writer on and we've had one so far come back to us potentially showing interest in a couple of tracks.

The company in question are called Leopard Music Publishing and they are based in West Yorkshire. My question is basically does anyone know much about them or had any dealings as to the kind of successes they have had if any, with pitching songs to the industry? Their website seems to have plenty on it but a little vague in terms of what they have achieved.

My concern is that I don't want to necessarily sign to an exclusive deal for 1 or 2 of our songs and then for it to sit there doing nothing. I guess I just want to get an idea of how well placed the company is in the industry.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Cheers everyone

Dan

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 04:12:26 PM »
I had a tip sheet couple of years ago, came across them there. Think i pitched 1 or 2 tracks,,heard nothing back ..... but remember not feeling too confident about them at the time.

danproducerman

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:57:54 AM »
Thanks, yeah I got the feeling they are quite small fry. The song in question has got through the first screening process and just waiting to hear back.
However I don't want to commit to anything without seeing evidence of some of their successes if indeed they have any.
It's all very well saying to people you have a publishing deal but if it's not actually going to do anything to further the song's place in the market, then it wouldn't be worth it.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 11:18:20 AM »
You are right to be "fussy" but the only thing I would say is...

A song with a "small fry" publisher is better than a song sitting on your PC doing nothing

Unless you are being inundated with publishing deals I would be a little more positive with the publisher and rather than asking about past succes (a new publisher may not have a track record - but all publishers started somewhere) I would ask more about what they would do with your song and what contacts they have

Even though the publisher may be small fry the person setting it up may have worked for one of the big boys and have lots of contacts

When an offer comes in it is difficult deciding whether it is right for you and you probably think tying your song up will mean you will miss out on the next multi-million pound deal

How likely is this though?

How hard are you pushing and to who - how many publishers haven't come back to you?

I would say the following proverb could help:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

You could consider just signing this single song with the publisher (or ask for a non-exclusive deal a although this may not be attractive to your existing publisher and future ones you pitch to)

If you sign this song you will then be a "published" writer when you pitch your next songs so you could simply use this deal to increase your credentials for future deals/pitching  ;)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

danproducerman

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks Boydie for your advice, really appreciate your thoughts on the subject.

Some very good points made and something definitely to think about. Totally get that no other offers may come through though we have only just started approaching some publishers here in the UK and also the US. So I'm thinking that if they were to make any kind of offer that we maybe ask all the questions you mention and maybe advise that we have other publishers "interested" and we're waiting to hear back. Would that work?

BTW if you want to listen to the track in question, you can do so here: https://soundcloud.com/danscholesproducer/make-it-on-our-own-featuring-jason-carson-misty-rae-carson-on-vocals

It's aimed in particular at the American country market and we're hoping to pitch for artists to record it.

Thanks Boydie again for taking the time to offer your advice.

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 01:26:06 PM »
Are you a big time dude with lots of publishing deals? If not, take it, some people write their whole lives and never get an opportunity like this.

If you're really reluctant ask them for more information about what they can do for you and what they'll be able to achieve from having your song on their books.

danproducerman

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 03:38:03 PM »
I WISH I was a bug time dude with lots of deals so totally get your point! And I'll definitely be sure to ask about what they will do to work the song for me in terms of pitching etc.

Thanks again

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 12:02:13 PM »
You can (try to) either limit the validity period of an exclusive contract or make the contract non-exclusive (which I did with two song lyrics).
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 08:52:58 PM »
A standard publishing contract should contain a clause that gives you the option of having your song back if the Publisher doesn't do anything with it. So really I don't think you have that much to lose except a bit of time. Most people never get the opportunity to get signed but you should also realise that most people who ARE signed, also don't get that far.

I would not be put off by them being a small publisher. It may well mean they work harder for you.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »
If I were in you shoes (and I wish I were) I would ask myself "What's the worst thing that could happen if I DO sign?"  

And "What's the worst thing that can happen if I don't."  

If you do NOT sign. . . then the worst thing that could happen is that the song never gets another offer.  

If you do sign. . . the worst thing that can happen is that (for whatever reason) it fails.  

For me. . . to get the opportunity to "get into the game" would far outweigh any fears that the coach (the publishing co.) is not adequate.  If you can't get into the game, you can't score.  To me it would be as simple as that.  ANY opportunity to "get into the game" would be welcomed.  

(Unless they wanted ME to "pay them to play" of course.)  

Additionally --  YOU approached them about publishing your songs.  Now you are worried that they might not be the right people?   

The time to consider THAT was before you approached them and asked them to publish your music.  In my opinion, to back out now would be decidedly "bad form." 

Put yourself in their position.  What if they approached you about three songs they were excited about, then when you said "yes" they backed out.  How would THAT look and feel? 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 08:35:57 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.