konalavadome

Singing Eachothers Songs?

• 12 Replies

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« on: September 28, 2016, 09:41:32 AM »
Hey,

I know it's a weird one, but is anyone like me and would just love to hear how someone else would take on their lyrics?

Not as a proper collaboration or anything (just a quick acoustic bash), but if we had somewhere on here to post lyrics and/or chords with no recording or context, and let people just have a crack? It interests me to know how people would go about interpreting the same lyrics with no 'base track' to cover. I mean, how different the results may be per person could be phenomenal

I'd also like to participate in giving my interpretation of others, but is this something enough people would be interested in to give a go?

Could also be interesting from the point of unfinished songs and bits of lyrics lying around (http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11732.0), where the person posting the lrics might just have a 'dump' of lyrics rather than a structure, and people could jigsaw and alter them slights into something.

I'll neaten this post up a little.

Suggestion for Category
- "Sing My Song"

Description
Host: The host of the thread will either post existing or write new lyrics which they do not mind being taken and used freely.
Participants: Take the lyrics and make a quick demo of their interpretation. This could include rearranging the lyrics (switch verses around, extract a chorus is there isn't already one), adding or modifying the lyrics (Making your own chorus, changing a few words to fit your style, ect)

Purpose
- Give writers with little singing/instrumental ability a chance to hear their lyrics performed
- Give writers a chance to get some inspiration for the techniques used by others relating directly to their writing style
- Give performers, instrument-players and composers a chance to test their abilities in taking words outside of their comfort zone and composing around / performing them.

Rules to keep the Peace
- All lyrics posted are considered 'open', and anyone who enjoys their interpretation is free to do with it what they like.

Issues
- Time consuming - Takes a bit more time to compose and perform a song to someones lyrics when compared to other areas on this forum.
- Motivation - Will enough people be interested enough to spend their time putting together something for someone else's lyrics - when they could be composing for their own.
- 'Giving up your lyrics' - Will people be able to detach their IP from the words they write, enough to let others have free reign?

Caveats, Moderation & Organizational Ideas
- Potentially have this as a one set of lyrics per week/month? - Chosen by an admin after lyric submissions? This could increase the likelyhood of getting multiple submissions per thread as replies/time would expectedly be less due the the extra effort required.

Plan Going Forward
- See if enough people react positively to this post
- If so; get one of the most established forum members to do a 'dry run' in the Competitions section.
- If gains attention; create a sub-category in the forum? - Draft moderation plan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:58:16 AM by ScottLevi »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:59 PM »
I like the idea so will keep a close eye on the discussion in this thread to see what others think

Perhaps a sub-forum of the collaboration forum for "Open Source Songwriting" where people can post lyrics, backing tracks, snippets of ideas that are all fair game for other to build on

The only "tricky" bit would be sharing out the writing credits but I am sure we could iron this out...
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 07:31:51 PM »
Hi,
I'm sure it could work but can't quite see why the others bashing out a rough tune would get from it, unless it was a reciprocal arrangement.

I love writing songs to others lyrics but personally I want to create a proper song, whether fully recorded or not and share the credits. For me it's great to when you can bring lyrics to life.

For me to invest I'd want to spend some time and do it justice and do that on a monogamous basis.

I have done it as a songwriting exercise where we where given a chord sequence and came up with 6 very different songs, and then we were given to orginal, 'the first time I ever saw your face'....

Why not use the collaboration space, put a lyric up and see what you get. I'm sure if it's good you'll get some interest, Boydie not sure we need another sub-thread that's all.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:27 AM »
I, for one am totally interested.  I'd be interested in singing other people's stuff AND in having my stuff sung differently than I do it. 

Heck, I'm often tempted to ask people to allow me to try a different vocal treatment for their songs. . . but it's the kind of thing you just don't ask without already knowing the answer.  It's a bit like asking a woman if she's pregnant.  You do NOT want to ask that until/unless you already know the answer. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:25:09 AM »
It's a bit like asking a woman if she's pregnant.  You do NOT want to ask that until/unless you already know the answer.

Lol - I had a VERY lucky escape recently where I nearly asked - but thought I would check first and boy am I glad I did!!!

I love Jimmy Carr's gag:

On a bus I prefer to see a pregnant woman standing than a fat woman sitting and crying

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »

Lol - I had a VERY lucky escape recently where I nearly asked - but thought I would check first and boy am I glad I did!!!

We've all been "almost there".  Some of us have actually crossed the line. . . and when you do, it's all a matter of luck as to whether you survive it or not.   

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »
Giving this thread a bump sorry, I have had the feeling of late that there might be more interest in this sort of thing than has been expressed on the thread - so here's another chance!

I do think that my initial post was a bit much, but do like you 'boiling down' Boydie into just having an open source section, where anyone can post any lyrics / instrumentals which they are willing to release - with the premise that anyone who uses them will post the result back to the thread so that the owner can get the gratification of seeing how others have interpreted their ideas.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
I haven't weighed in on this yet, so...I do like the original idea quite a bit. I think probably a lot of people like it, but are distracted with other things. In my opinion, a way to determine if there is enough interest is simply to try it. Success will depend on obtaining a host for each round of activity. And, since it is kind of a big responsibility, I wonder if monthly would be too often? Maybe trying the "boiled down" version would be a good start. Although, I actually think the effort would be more successful with a host who keeps reminding people to check out the lyric of the month (or quarter or whatever).

Vicki

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 08:59:46 AM »
Cheers Vicki, that's I good idea think I'll put a pilot structure togethor and see if we get any submissions.

I dont want to use my own lyrics to avoid this looking like a reuse, so my first thread will be for lyric submissions.

I'm thinking 3 week for lyric submissions,  1 week to figure out which to choose, then 2 months(?) for song submissions.

What would be great to help the process along is if I could have some 'intent' from people that they plan on making a song submission based on the lyrics.

That way I could promote the 'submit your lyrics' thread with the premise that myself, x, y and z have intent (but not committed) to make a song entry based on them.

I think hardtwist is the only one who's outwrite said they'd have be interested in both sides of the coin so I'll reach out on PM (or here if you swing by again) to see if I can put his name down to promote.

'Regarding incentive I think a good way of doing this would be that people who have made effort to submit songs in the last round will get priority of their lyrics for the next, though we'll have to figure out exactly how this will work (as I dint tho k we really want a 'winner')
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:39:38 AM by ScottLevi »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 07:39:53 PM »
Cheers Vicki, that's I good idea think I'll put a pilot structure togethor and see if we get any submissions.

I dont want to use my own lyrics to avoid this looking like a reuse, so my first thread will be for lyric submissions.

I'm thinking 3 week for lyric submissions,  1 week to figure out which to choose, then 2 months(?) for song submissions.

What would be great to help the process along is if I could have some 'intent' from people that they plan on making a song submission based on the lyrics.

That way I could promote the 'submit your lyrics' thread with the premise that myself, x, y and z have intent (but not committed) to make a song entry based on them.

I think hardtwist is the only one who's outwrite said they'd have be interested in both sides of the coin so I'll reach out on PM (or here if you swing by again) to see if I can put his name down to promote.

'Regarding incentive I think a good way of doing this would be that people who have made effort to submit songs in the last round will get priority of their lyrics for the next, though we'll have to figure out exactly how this will work (as I dint tho k we really want a 'winner')

If it's truly "open source" (and I would LOVE to have an "open source" section here. . . then time is of no consequence.  I think it hurts the concept to put a time frame or "deadline" on it. 

Just let song parts sit there until someone feels like adding some more "code" (i.e. other song parts or changes). 

If there is truly interest in this, then there is no need to "run" or "host" the section.  People either add or change things or they do not. 

But it is my opinion that this will require patience if it is to work.  And EVERYONE must understand that in an "open source" environment, no one OWNS anything they post their.  No one can steal it and claim it for their own. . . but each of us relinquishes ownership (and to a lesser degree Authorship) of everything posted in the "open source" section. 

If that is not so. . . then we need to call it something other than "open source." 

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 07:44:58 PM »

The only "tricky" bit would be sharing out the writing credits but I am sure we could iron this out...

It's really not tricky at all if it's truly "open source."  EVERYONE who contributes ANYTHING to the song is an "author" (i.e. deserving of a writing credit.)  And NO ONE is an owner. 

Everyone who contributes anything is an author, and no one is an owner. 

Essentially, by posting to the "open source" part of the forum, each participant/contributor agrees to relinquish his/her claim to ownership to the public good and donates his/her contribution to the "public domain."  The song is owned by the public. . . not by the authors. 

In my opinion, that is the only way it can work.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 07:55:32 AM »
I agree that is probably the only way it could work - but I wanted to make sure it was discussed in advance

Imagine an "open source" song goes on to make some money (which is when the trouble always starts!) there needs to be an agreement in advance on how this money would get treated

If we are saying ANYONE who contributes to this song in any way (whether it is 1 line of lyric or the whole melody) gets an equal share then I think that is pretty clear

Or - is there an agreement that any "open source" song CAN'T make any money and must be allowed to be used for free by anyone - I don't have much experience of them but I believe it can be done under a "Creative Commons Licence"

This could attract a whole new group to the forum (amateur film makers, students etc.) looking for free original music to use in projects, which would in turn increase the exposure of our member's music and help build fanbases

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 04:13:57 PM »
I looked up Creative Commons licensing and found there are six kinds. I believe this project would come under the "ShareAlike" license. More information here. The Creative Commons Corporation also provides a "public domain mark", so maybe that could be used? It's for works known to be in the public domain or works the authors wish to place in the public domain. More info here.

Don't know if any of this is useful but, just in case, here it is.

Vicki