Zero Gravity

• 2 Replies

Miguelrye89

« on: September 24, 2016, 02:08:01 AM »
Hey all! This is yet another melodic metal/rock piece with pop influences. I was pretty much trying to write a very positive kind of uplifting song, where "zero gravity" is more a play on words. As usual, any and all feed back is deeply appreciated. Thank you.

Zero Gravity

You can't hold me down

V1: Believe, in more than you can see
If you can dream it make it real
Let it absorb your reality
One by one, the skies the limit don't let go
Chase your dream beyond the stars
NEVER LET IT GO
Because who you are and what you can be
Is stronger than anything
You can't hold me down

Chorus: Zero Gravity
I'm soaring higher than ever
No reason why just touch the sky
This is my time to shine
Zero gravity
Nothing beneath my feet
I am the light on an endless flight
You can't hold me down

V2: THE SKIES THE LIMIT SO REACH IT
AND PIERCE ON THROUGH ITS SHIELD
GO HARDER AND FASTER CAUSE IN THIS LIFE YOU WIELD
AN ENDLESS JOURNEY OF HAPPINESS
AT YOUR FINGER TIPS
LEAVE THE STRESS FAR BEHIND YOU
YOU ARE LIMITLESS

Chorus: Zero Gravity
I'm soaring higher than ever
No reason why just touch the sky
This is my time to shine
Zero gravity
Nothing beneath my feet
I am the light on an endless flight
You can't hold me down

~Michael A. Ellington, 2016 original

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 04:18:01 PM »
Hi Miguel,

I like the concept here, with 'Zero Gravity' referring to nothing pulling you back from your potential.

There's a strong tone is set in the first three lines:
Believe, in more than you can see
If you can dream it make it real
Let it absorb your reality
This introduces that there are more opportunities than those which are obvious, and that you have to believe in yourself and embrace these dreams to give them a chance. Very strong message.

The few line  is strong but I think may need rewording a little
One by one, the skies the limit don't let go
I can see 'one by one' as passing each barrier in your way to the dream, but "the skies the limit don't let go" throws me off a little. On clawing to find meaning I came up with "I'm tackling these barriers one by one, and though I still understand there's a limit to my potential (the sky) I'm holding on to hope that either this will be enough to satisfy me, or one day I can figure out a way to pass even that obstacle" - but if that is the message you're going for maybe add at least 'but' in there. "They say the sky's the limit but I wont let go". Especially as the next few lines (i.e. "NEVER LET IT GO", "You can't hold me down") makes it feel as though we're fighting against an oppressor; either self-doubt or a discouraging environment.

It might just be but I always see 'the sky' as the edge of the Earth's atmosphere, so during the more euphoric and positive chorus I am thrown off my "touch the sky" as it seems belittled in comparison to 'beyond the stars' which is a goal set in the first verse. IMO the chorus feels like it needs to give sight of the end goal, and therefore need a higher goal than just the sky - if that makes sense? Especially as that goal of surpassing the sky comes back around in the second verse.

For the second verse I can image (hint CAP LOCK) the tempo increase here and again am I big fan of the start of the verse with the imagery in creates
THE SKIES THE LIMIT SO REACH IT
AND PIERCE ON THROUGH ITS SHIELD
However, the line "at your fingertips" feels like it's a little too much added on to the message of the first three lines and needs a fresh statement of it's own. And though I like the last two lines
LEAVE THE STRESS FAR BEHIND YOU
YOU ARE LIMITLESS
they seem slightly random (though on-theme). I think it would feel more complete if these linked in to your first verse more, such as reiterating strength rather than dismissing stress?

I'm not massive on hard rock or metal so have found it difficult to imagine how this will go as a song, but hope I've been somewhat helpful as an impartial second pair of eyes.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 04:19:56 PM by ScottLevi »

Miguelrye89

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:55 AM »
You have definitely been more than helpful! I will be taking your thoughts into consideration and reworking "Zero Gravity" where necessary! Thank you so much for such an in depth critique! Very helpful!