Ragdoll - feedback appreciated

• 9 Replies

shortwhat

• Open Mic
  • I like reverb
    • Bandcamp
« on: September 22, 2016, 09:39:04 PM »
This song is about still loving an (ex?) who is trying their best to ignore you.

So yeah it might be a little depressing ;) any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Ragdoll:

V1:
With an apple in my mouth, sweat dripping off my brow
I look around the room to try to point you out

Hook:
And I can see
You trembling
Avoiding my gaze

V2:
You smile and I can't breathe, I commit to jealousy
You don't believe me?? Well here I'll show you that it's-

Hook:
Always the same
I'm screaming your name
and you look the other way...

Bridge:
I caught your eyes across the room
I tried to explain but I spoke too soon

V3:
Without you I'm a mess, but I'll try to look my best
Just in case you look back, and you remember what-

Hook:
A mistake I was
Cringe and move on
I wish I could too

V4:
Well I'm sorry no can do, I'm still in love with you
You haunt my dreams at night, you're on my mind all day

Outro:
So please don't go away
16, singer-songwriter

Check out my album: http://joshshort.bandcamp.com/album/collarbones

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »
Okay...I'm trying to do a little better with feedback. I look at lots of stuff, but run out of time and don't get any feedback written.

Anyway, here I go.

You have some interesting and engaging phrases in your song. That's good. Like "apple in my mouth", "I commit to jealousy". That's the two I like best.

I like that you labeled your sections. I find that very helpful. Which brings me to your "hook". I usually look for the song title to be the hook, but you have the title "Ragdoll" which I didn't notice anywhere in the song at all. Not exactly forbidden, but I think you should have a good reason for it.

Your hook occurs three times and every time is different, so obviously the hook has nothing to do with the lyrics and is melodic only--am I right? I think it's risky to do that, as it's harder to make the hook (in my opinion, anyway) as memorable if the words change every time you use it.

Your lyric, in my opinion, gets your point across clearly; I don't have to guess what it's about or have you explain it to me. I like that--I'm not a fan of obscure lyrics, usually.

Suggestion: 2nd hook, line: "and you look the other way...", I suggest considering alternatives to the word "and". Maybe "While" or "As". Of course, you might have a reason for using "and" that would be lost if you change it, in which case, ignore me.

That's all I have.

Vicki

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 10:52:25 PM »
I don't think the song is depressing and could work as a song about unrequited love just as well.

One of the problems I had trying to sing it was the first line of verse one has 7 syllables before the comma, the same with verse 4. Whilst verse 2 and 3 only have 6. Whilst you could get a melody to work with an extra note in verse 1 and 4 I think it would scan better if you had the same number of syllables in all the lines.

I really like the bridge and you may wish to consider converting it into a refrain. So it would be repeated at the end of each verse. So you would have verse, hook and bridge 4 times.

I agree with Vicki the title would be better in the lyrics. However, if you go with the bridge as refrain idea you could have Ragdoll (but I spoke too soon) as the title.

Feel free to ignore me if you disagree as they are impressive words.

Keith

shortwhat

• Open Mic
  • I like reverb
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
CaliaMoko: thanks for the feedback:) The hook is more defined by its contrasting section in the music, and the vocal melody in this section is very distinct, When I post the finished song on here I'm sure you'll see:) The title Ragdoll is maybe a metaphor, the meaning is 'a soft doll made from pieces of cloth.' and I feel the recorded version of this song is a soft, refined set of lyrics created from a lot of different feelings from a long period of time. I know it's meta but I make music for myself so I like the title:)
I also think that 'as you look the other way' does sound better, thank you!

Diademgrove: yeah I also think it can tell the tale of unrequited love, that's why I left it as (ex?) in my little introduction because it could really be anyone who isn't interested in the protagonist:):) I wouldn't worry about the syllables because I wrote these lyrics using my voice, like I would play the music and sing random phrases then change them into cohesive lyrics.
I feel like the bridge, although only being 2 lines, actually lasts too long to be repeated more than once, my recorded demo of this song with the bridge played once is actually over 5 minutes already. thanks for all your advice:)
16, singer-songwriter

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:11 PM »
Looking forward to hearing the finished song.

Keith

DorGolan

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
I really liked it! I don't think it's that depressing as you think since we've all been there and can relate to it. Maybe a party where you bump into your EX and then your eyes just linger though the rest of the night. I'm not sure what is the purpose of this song and if you are going to record it but I do feel that you can play with the lyrics a bit to make it just a tiny more pop-y and attract much larger audience.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 11:53:23 AM »
Hi, enjoyed it, and can remember that feeling like it was yesterday. It's weird, you've no control.
Loved the commitment to jealousy line and agree rag doll is a great title, pity it's not used, that would be strong.
If it were me I'd use the 2nd verse as the chorus and end it with 'I feel like a rag doll, tossed away'
Anyway had fun with it.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
I like these lyrics Josh they work for me, some great lines evoke the right emotions. I also remember anxiety around girls when I was a teenager, it still produces a cold sweat. Agree the ragdoll title should be in the verses somewhere, it is strong.
I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

shortwhat

• Open Mic
  • I like reverb
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 05:50:12 PM »
thanks so much guys:) I might dip back into the recordings see if I can fit ragdoll in somewhere:)
16, singer-songwriter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 06:51:18 PM »
Hi

Good work on display here. I esp like the "no can do" line :)
Personally I think you should dump the "rag doll" idea.
The Four Seasons already own it, and unless you rewrite the song, it is not your theme.
Maybe "You Don't Look Back" but I suppose that's taken too :(

Enjoyed the read :)
Paul