The Cars Go By (Ones got my Dad in it)

• 29 Replies

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2016, 08:53:15 PM »
Definitely got that Sandra Dee / 50s feel.

Like the idea of windscreen wipers, my car has always been my favourite rehearsal place.

Great guitars.

Another lovely songπŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Sandeep

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
Aw...I thought this was wonderful, Tina...there's so much more to you than meets the ear.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
thankyou all for so much listening & commenting... im glad people liked it :)

its funny how you end up playing a style of music ..my mum absoultely loved the beatles & gordon lightfoot  & the shadows so I grew up absorbing that but then I found my own music which was american 80s glam metal & it will always be what I think of as my music ...but after coming back to guitar after having a family I found I didnt want to play that anymore & started looking back to music before I was born & fell in love with the 1960s music & 1950s aswell

the other thing I want to say if anyones listening is since I came back here ive felt under pressure to write far more normal songs than what I was doing before I came back...just bcos I can see people like normal songs here ..& i want to be liked
i think this song is too normal for me & I need to change quick!  ;D

sorry martyn you asked about the lead guitar sound....i have 2 guitar fx boxes i use now... one is a digitech gnx4 it has a preset called apache
the other box is a zoom something or other it also has a preset called apache & i used that one for 'guitar women of bongo island' which i know you liked a lot :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:43:45 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 09:01:05 PM »
The influence thing is random,Tina.

It's not always possible to divine the original influence by listening to the next generation,because we all digest stuff and the end result is a step removed. That's evolution and creativity,it's how the world works.You'd never guess my listening catalogue from the old man/mellow stuff I emit.

I know thee may spake with thy tongue in thy cheek,but even so,I'd encourage you to be yourself and not some neutered,diluted forum pleasing version. It applies to anyone posting their songs,be the best Tina..(insert forum handle here) you can be.

No one does you like you does.  8)

joejohnstun

• Busker
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »
wow the drums come in all chaotic and beautiful! love it!
and great idea with the highway ambience :)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:43 PM »

I know thee may spake with thy tongue in thy cheek,but even so,I'd encourage you to be yourself and not some neutered,diluted forum pleasing version. It applies to anyone posting their songs,be the best Tina..(insert forum handle here) you can be.

No one does you like you does.  8)

thankyou for the encouragement skub & i agree with you :)
...but surely thats not quite right bcos if you dont play what other people want to hear no ones going to buy your music... i know im not trying for success but others might be  :)

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:32 PM »
excellent wipers !
and that opening line is a killer, the whole story in a line..
its like you release the hand brake when the drums come in.. picks up like a pop song and floors you with the words.. mellow solo for you but perfectly placed..drums sound a little toppy but a great feel..
vocal reminds of tracy ullman a little and has an innocence that the lyric delights in betraying.
mazing how you get stuff so concise, no fat
youve never written a normal song in your life tina..
your a one off.. do what you doo
dont listen to the pyjama people
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 09:58:14 PM »

thankyou for the encouragement skub & i agree with you :)
...but surely thats not quite right bcos if you dont play what other people want to hear no ones going to buy your music... i know im not trying for success but others might be  :)

Those rules don't apply if you are chasing the dream. I've been so long not chasing,I forget others still do! :D

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 07:59:28 AM »
Wonderful. Love it.

I can't add to what's already been written - it has that fifties / sixties feel but it also has a lot of the eighties in there. It's you - you take the old, be it surf or rockabilly or bubblegum or whatever,  and you add (most likely without thinking about it) all those other influences and you add you and what comes out is always great and always totally original.

Lyrics, viewpoint, idea are brilliant, and the melody and delivery just add an innocence and heartbreaking feeling to it all.

I understand about what you said about feeling the need to write slightly differently to what you have been doing in order to fit in, or conform. My songs are poles apart from yours, but I've felt that here too. But I'm trying to stick to (or revert to) my original intent, too. It's not always easy, but in your case I think you have a body of work that I just so original and unique that it transcends all else. Keep it up, it's wonderful.

Derek
West Country Country Boy

Caleb Rian

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »
I like this. Nice topic. I hear the ronettes vs kirsty MacColl with a nice modern touch. Quite lovely.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 08:50:19 PM »
i didnt want to bump this but felt i must say thankyou nooms & derek for the wonderful comments
you are very kind & will make me so big headed!  :)

thank you caleb aswell

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 10:52:49 PM »
Hi Tina,

I don't mind bumping this. I'm slowly trying to catch up with some reviewing the finished song section. Your good turn for Vicki deserves a good turn in return, and here it is.

Definitely my kind of song, the Shadows on acid and a great vocal. The lyrics are very dark.

When I get time I'll have a listen to some of your other songs.

Keith

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
Thank you! Glad I found my way here.

I'll start with what I didn't like. The sound fx. I may be the only one but I didn't think they added anything to the song, on the contrary they were more of a distraction. This song does NOT need them that's all I say.

Loved the song. Loved the vocals. Everything. The lyrics and the way you presented them, evocative to say the least. I actually got moved by this, doesn't happen every time I listen to music that's for sure.

I've got nothing else to add, hat's off, excellent job!!!  :D

S

HenryOFarrell

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Simply love it, however, I think you could add a bit more percussion maybe (just trying to help :))

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2016, 11:56:54 AM »
Brilliant song. very catchy and could easily be a hit record. in my opinion I think it could benefit from being a fraction faster and the pauses between sections shortened a little. If you did this it could be big hit.