konalavadome

A composer needs a collaberater

• 8 Replies

Andrew

• Busker
« on: September 16, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I need someone to work with me on my songs.  Someone to collaborate with.  If there is someone reading this who is interested in making really nice music...wonderful music...the sort that stays in your head all day.......then, perhaps we could have a chat.

I don't want to waste anyone's time.  I know that we all have different tastes in music.  So, I thought that if I tell you about my music you can stop reading at any time.   But, if you get to the end and you are interested you might be the person I am looking for.                 

I don't really know where to start.    I'll try.

I have listened to a lot of what people have posted here.   And this is where I will upset people.  I honestly don't intend any offence.  I think that I have a different taste in music to most of the songs I've listened to.

The thing is, I don't think that some of them are songs.  I don't mean good or bad.  I mean, just not songs.

I have got more than half way through some of them and I am still waiting for it to start.  I get to the end and I'm still waiting for the song to start.

After listening to a song you should be able to hum it.  If it's a good song, you should find yourself wanting to hum it.  Or sing a few words that have stuck with you.  At the half way point you should know the tune.  It's very difficult to hum a song that has no melody. 

I can say this about my music.....After you hear any one of my songs....you will know the tune.   You might not like it, but you will be able to hum or whistle it.

So, I want to find someone who thinks the way I do.  A song must have a good catchy tune.  You must find yourself wanting to sing along with it.

I have heard some guitar music that is fantastic.  Without a voice you can hear the tune.   But, most of what I hear is some sort of strumming with someone singing a something forgettable.

On the other hand, some people are really good at putting together and arrangement.  I took piano for a few years.  I'm not good enough to do my music justice.  I can write the music out.   I have started to practice again, but it is going to take time.

I write songs.  I write an awful lot of songs.

The thing is, I don't really compose.  I will be in the middle of doing something, often with my kids, when a melody pops into my head.  Sometimes it is a full tune,  Other times it grows into the full tune over a few minutes.  I have never taken longer than 5 minutes to have the full tune.

This happens at least once a day.  As often as 8 or 9 times a day.  So...I have collected a lot of tunes.

Half of my tunes or melodies come to me with words.   Most often the words are very stupid.  Just silly words that fit the music.   I have a beautiful melody.  It moves me.  And my wrods to this lovely sone are:   " And she's sitting over there with her bum up in the air...."   At that point in the song it should have sweet violins.

The tunes are really nice.  Each tune is very catchy.  No two tunes sound alike.  I am amazed that there are so many different tunes.   I am useless with lyrics.

The other half of my music comes with no words.

I can nock out a real toe tapping song in minutes.  People complain to me that they have my tunes going around and around in their heads.  If they shake it off another one often takes it's place.

I was very shy about my music.  I didn't like to show it to anyone.  I thought that they wouldn't like it or they would say they did to be polite.   I think that I'm just about past that now.  It took a while.

I can't help it.  I have to say that I think that people are being honest with me .  They don't just say that they like my music.  They are constantly telling me that I should do something with them.

The other day I went into my garden to find my kids, boy and a girl four and five years old, With half a dozen other kids sitting in a circle.  They were singing my songs.  One after another.

I would say that a lot of my songs would be at home in a Disney cartoon.  More would be at home in a musical.  Oliver, Guys and Dolls....Anything with that kind of snappy, happy song.   I don't have anything dark.  Nothing where my girl done gone left me...

I would be happy to meet up with someone and show them my songs.
I need someone who can help with lyrics.  I see lots of people posting lyrics here.  Poetry.  And they don't seem to have any musical ability.

I want someone who can put the right words to the music.  Make suggestions.  Tell me if something could be better.  To help me to put the polish on them. 

A good melody isn't enough.  Add good lyrics to a good melody and you can have a fantastic song! 

I Need someone who knows a good tune when they hear it.  Someone enthusiastic.  Someone who will collaborate with the songs and then work with me to get them published.

Maybe you're like me.  Frustrated, because you can't find what you are looking for.

I am asking for a lot.  I am asking for so much.

Did anyone get to the end of this?  Is anyone still here?   

I have to try to find the other half of a song writing team.

Please get in touch if you want to talk about it.

I live in Nottingham,  I'm willing to travel a reasonable distance

Thanks for reading this....if you did :-)

Andrew.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 09:00:38 PM »
hi andrew
welcome to the forum

your best bet would be to post a link to one of your pieces.
just jump in..devil may care ..
soundcoud is a good way of doing that..

but be sure to get yourself involved and comment on other folks compositions.
its give and take, thats how it works.
if you do that im certain the forum will open up for you..

collaborators often meet here to scheme and plot their devilish musical deeds,
you well may bump into one !

hope so
good luck

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
Hmmmmmm.  You write about three pages about what a great talent and song evaluator YOU are.  

AND about how most of us lack your talent as writers and/or evaluators of music.  That most of us are (in fact - in your mind) terrible. . . and not worth your listening to. 

AND you want some help.  Hmmmmmmmm....  

Let me think.  Do I want to help you after you have insulted over half the forum?  

And, even if I DID want to help you, would I be willing to commit after you failed to provide ONE LINK to anything YOU wrote?  We just have to take your word for it that you write great compositions.  After all, we're not qualified to listen to (and perceive) great music like you are.   

You might want to sweeten the pot a little.  Change your tone, and act like someone who wants HELP, not just compliance.  Provide some links to something YOU wrote so that we have something other than your own self congratulatory self critiques to judge whether we find your music compelling. 

If I felt that you actually had something worth adding lyrics to.  AND that you were capable of respecting the work of others.  AND that you would "play well with others" if you did find someone to collaborate with.  (And All that is a huge "if.")  

So... IF all those things were so, THEN, I would be willing to collaborate and/or refer you to others who could collaborate with you.  There are talented people here who could help you if your compositions actually are worth adding lyrics to.  But your self proclaimed superiority will turn all of them off.  

You'll find that a lot of folks here are quality human beings and will give a second chance . . . if we find your music compelling.   

Your first chance has already been burned.  Your self congratulatory self evaluation means nothing to us, and your insults will have driven us away from wanting to  help you.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:02:29 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 06:21:08 PM »
Totally agree with you hardtwist...interesting the arrogant sod hasn't put any of his awesome music up for us to hear and interesting he has not come back to this post..
what an absolute plonker... ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:24:57 PM by shadowfax »
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

David_Gardiner

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »
I agree he hasn't much idea how to talk to people, but I know I can come over as a bit abrasive and insensitive at times too. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I also favour fairly conventional songwriting where the words and the melody are what matter rather than 'sounds' and decoration. Coincidentally one of the people who has contributed most to my project (described below) is also named Andrew, but I don't think it's the same person!

As some of you here know, I've been working on songs for a stage musical for the last year or so. I've been doing it as an 'open source' project, asking anyone who likes my lyrics to have a go at turning them into songs. It's going pretty well. So far I'm about half way down my list of 20. Here are the completed songs that I've got so far (though nothing is set in stone of course): https://soundcloud.com/david-gardiner-8 and here is a page where people can read about the project and download all the lyrics and the complete script: http://davidgardiner.net/EPOpen.html

I'll try to indicate which songs I still need. Some of them don't need writing but just performing for the showcase channel on Soundcloud. These are pre-existing folk songs or songs that are either out of copyright or used with permission. I'll include them in case someone who would like to perform them for me happens to read this, but you (Andrew) are probably more interested in the ones that just exist as lyrics.

The songs that I still need are the ones that appear in the script but not on Soundcloud: i.e. songs numbered 4 + 16 (these are really the same song with just minor variations in the words), 7 + 12 (again, variations on the same song), 6 (pre-existing, out of copyright), 9 ('The Last Examination'. This has been written for me and a violin backing track provided by a folk singer named Barbara Korner. It just needs the vocal track added but needs to be a youngish male voice), 10 (pre-existing folk song. Needs a young female voice and a guitar or similar backing track or would be fine acapella), 11 (needs youngish male voice and some kind of accompaniment), 14 ('You Don't Own Me' - pre-existing pop song, female voice), 15 (Pre-existing folk song, female voice), 20 ('The Diggers' Song' - pre-existing folk song, male trio, acapella), 21 ('History Lesson' by Leon Rossellson - the last song in the play. Acapella, young female voice).

When you analyse it there aren't many songs left that need writing from scratch, but several in which the technical quality of the recording or the actual performance could be a lot better.

So if you, Andrew, or anybody else wants to have a go I'll be very pleased.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
As some of you here know, I've been working on songs for a stage musical for the last year or so. I've been doing it as an 'open source' project, asking anyone who likes my lyrics to have a go at turning them into songs.

David I love your approach and wish I'd found this sooner. 'Open source music' is a fabulous idea and I'm sure I heard David Bowie say something along those lines once?

Andrew's brutal approach is puzzling particularly as, in a previous post, he said 'I am no expert and my opinion is not worth a carrot' but, perhaps we'll soon be seeing his shows appearing in the West End and then we'll all be very sorry. Personally I'm glad I live a very 'reasonable' distance from Nottingham!
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Marshy

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 10:06:02 AM »
Hi Andrew, I write lyrics, for my own amusement, and have never shown them to anyone, I have ideas but need help to get them to finished songs. I have no musical training so play no instruments,but I would be interested in getting together, to discuss. Thanks Graham

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »
So, I thought that if I tell you about my music you can stop reading at any time...

I stopped right there. I'd rather listen to your music than read it/about it. In this day and age, it's an exclusive right for Bob to be literary in this line of biz.  :P

S
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:47:20 AM by The S »

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Interesting first post. Maybe define what you mean by a song before saying that most of the posts on here aren´t songs. It´s a wide and varied art.

We´ll leave the tone aside until we get to know you better.