konalavadome

Favourite guitarists

• 54 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »

Absolutely:  And thinking about that brings me round to Link Wray, The guy I can't remember from the the group that did "Apache" and "Telstar".  

Hank Marvin?

Yes.  Thank you.  Hank Marvin and the Shadows.  Not that "The Shadows" did Telstar or Apache.  But it was Hank Marvin I was thinking of.  The versions I remember of "Telstar" and "Apache" were both by "The Ventures" if I remember right.  Dunno who the guitarist was, but I wonder if it was Hank Marvin.  Sounded like him to my untrained ears in both songs.
[/quote]

I hadn't heard the Venture's versions before. Impressive, especially if you are used to hearing them played by the Shadows and the Tornados.

The Venture's guitarist wasn't Hank Marvin though.

johnlondon

• Open Mic
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 11:09:23 PM »
Great thread, but what about,

Brian Robertson,  rockin` riffs
Segovia, flash flamenco
Adrian Legg, finger pickin` good
Jaco Pastorious, art on a bass.

....shame ....shame ;)

It also occurs to me that not only is being a great guitarist about subjective taste but its also relative. There would be no excellent guitarist at the top of the scale or even accomplished performers like those who frequent this forum, unless at the bottom of the scale there are ham fisted clods like me. Dam you god for my pork sausage fingers ....and inability to count to four in a rhythmic fashion. Good night :-\

I came in from the wilderness a creature void of forum

ScottLevi

• Platinum Album
  • Keep on Trucking
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2016, 09:24:58 AM »
Hey we're talking favourites, not most technically advanced right?

If there's only one person in this world I idolise, it's Jack White. IMO everything he does is so authentic and I feel like I can empathise with every word. The acoustic performances he's been doing recently are lovely.

Check this out from Jools Holland the other week

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »
Anyone familiar with Thin Lizzy will probably agree with me that Gary Moore is another worthy mention....

But for Lizzy Brian Robertson was the man..
songwriter of no repute..

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 12:37:11 AM »

think these fellows deserve some applause :

albert lee
dont recognise the guitar hes playing..some kind of strat ? anyone know ?

ry cooder

if you just want the gtr solo  @ 4.08
hes a masterful singer as well, his timings amazing
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PopTodd

• Platinum Album
    • Hop On Pop on Facebook
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 01:29:50 AM »

think these fellows deserve some applause :

albert lee
dont recognise the guitar hes playing..some kind of strat ? anyone know ?

It's signature model Music Man.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
omg that albert lee is amazing isnt he...so fast he makes me want to give up!
wasnt he with chas & dave? i cant realy believe it tho !

the trouble with a lot of famous guitarists is they get famous & go solo & then we have to put up with them trying to sing & playing 20 minute solos in every song
oh dear thats what im doing already! ;D

anyway i have a fave guitarist that you definitely wont have heard of....seriously he is fabulously different
i dont think hes ever made a record his name is Mosley.. i would rather listen to him than most so called famous guitarists...hes on soundcloud....heres one of his tracks you realy should listen to him he is so unusual
https://soundcloud.com/brian-mosley/spore-armada

i forgot to say i have done some songs with him but im not connected to him at all i just think hes brilliant! :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 07:52:44 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2016, 01:24:54 AM »
Seems to me, based on this thread, that most people's favourite style of guitar is electric single string rock lead guitar. Yet funnily enough it's probably one of my least favourite styles. There aren't that many rock lead guitarists who can hold my attention (Blackmore on occasions, Hendrix often. Schenkar in his UFO period. Dickie Betts, Lowell George, Ry Cooder often. But not many more). What I do like, unsurprisingly, are finger-pickers and jazzers and country pickers and acoustic bluesmen and gypsy jazzers. Looking back, there have been a couple of finger-pickers mentioned, but very few. Martin Taylor got mentioned in the jazz world. But few folkies or old bluesmen (Robert Johnson got one nod, I know), no blue-grassers, only Django in that Django style...

So here are a few more from my list in these other genres.

I took lessons with Bryan Sutton (flatpicking) and Jimmy Bruno (Jazz) and both are world-class, simply the best there is. David Grier, the flat-picker, but who plays in a rolling string-skipping cross-picking style is one of the best and most inventive players on the planet. Richard Smith, the boy genius who floored Chet Atkins as a lad, is just one of the finest finger-pickers out there, but he can play gypsy jazz too. Talking of gypsy jazz - how about Bireli or Stochelo Rosenberg or (my favourite) Angelo DeBarre? Back to Jazz - how come no-one has mentioned Wes Montgomery or George Benson or Charlie Christian? Old blues guys like Blind Blake and Rev Gary Davies have never been bettered in their style. I love country pickers, too. Glad to see Albert Lee getting a nod, but there are some red hot Nashville Pickers who are every bit as good - check out Brent Mason for a start. Jerry Reed is a personal favourite - but the level of pickers in Nashville is apparently so hot that my choice from earlier on in this thread, Pete Huttlinger, was once told by a producer that there were dozens of players as good as him just a phone call away (Pete had supposedly asked for a pay-rise!). It beggars belief and blows the mind. Modern acoustic pickers too - Leo Kottke is genius. As is John Fahey. Pat Donohue will blow your mind at fingerpicking, too. As will Duck Baker. Bert Jansch got a mention but let's not forget Wizz Jones and John Rebourne. I don't now much about Brazilian or Classical or Spanish guitar but I'm sure there are many players in those genres deserving of a mention in the thread too.

Hey ho. Just chilling after driving home from my gig :-)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 01:28:17 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »

Here's someone I think is worth checking out.
 Notice how he's sanded the body of his gtr to
 get some sort of tone/sound..... a real Axeman ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 10:03:20 AM »
TE is a bit of an enigma to me, Binladeda. I love watching him. There's no doubt that he's one of the best, and his live DVD is a favourite. But when I listen to him, it's not the same. I need the visuals with Tommy. It's just...strange.
West Country Country Boy