Favourite guitarists

• 54 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
 Most famous guitar players seem to have spent an awful lot of time perfecting the art of expressing the fact that they are a bit upset about something.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »
ahh you mean the guitar solo faces you have to pull to be taken serious!
women guitarists dont do them thats why they arent taken serious
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:30:57 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2016, 10:40:37 PM »
My favourite guitarist of all time is still Jimi Hendrix, even after all these years.

Mick Ronson is underrated and used to be the gardener in my local park. I went to his old school. Now sadly demolished. He'd left by the time I started though.

Peter Green also deserves a mention.

Two great guitarists from the folk tradition are Davy Graham and Bert Jansch.

Keith

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2016, 08:52:02 PM »

Two great guitarists from the folk tradition are Davy Graham and Bert Jansch.

Keith

I saw Bert Jansch live at the Welsh Club in Cardiff. Absolutely breathtaking.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 06:30:35 AM »
Just Curious:  I don't think I heard one "vote" for Chet Atkins.  Am I just Really Old? 

I thought I saw one mention of Django Rheinhardt.  That was good for an old-timer to hear. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »
Massive Chet fan here, HardTwistMusic, and I probably have more Django CDs than I have of any other guitarist. I even have a dedicated Django-style guitar. You probably are really old - because so am I! Only reason I never mentioned either was because I chose just one picker. Jerry Reed is another that often tops my favourite list, depending on my mood. His albums with Chet are just sublime.
West Country Country Boy

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 08:53:22 AM »
Massive Chet fan here, HardTwistMusic, and I probably have more Django CDs than I have of any other guitarist. I even have a dedicated Django-style guitar. You probably are really old - because so am I! Only reason I never mentioned either was because I chose just one picker. Jerry Reed is another that often tops my favourite list, depending on my mood. His albums with Chet are just sublime.

Absolutely:  And thinking about that brings me round to Link Wray, The guy I can't remember from the the group that did "Apache" and "Telstar". 

And the Australian guy Tommy something.  There's just sooooooo many.   It's why I won't pick one or two as favorites.  As soon as I think one guy is "the best" then another blows me away.  The "best" is a useless concept in art in my opinion. 

I love everyone who can make me feel something new and unique with a guitar (or any other instrument (including a voice) for that matter. 

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 10:09:48 PM »

Absolutely:  And thinking about that brings me round to Link Wray, The guy I can't remember from the the group that did "Apache" and "Telstar". 

[/quote]

Hank Marvin?

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2016, 10:53:29 PM »

Hank Marvin?
[/quote]

Hank Marvin did Apache but Telstar was by The Tornados and was recorded in Joe Meek's kitchen, I think. Not sure who the guitarist was. Joe Meek was a great British producer in the 1960s.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
omg how could I leave hank marvin out of my top guitarists! :o

the trouble with hank when I was a teenager was he had never had long hair or wore tight trousers or played with WASP  ;D...plus he did a funny dance & wore glasses & looked like my granpa!
but a few years ago I realised how fab he was & that playing like him was the only way you could play a guitar solo for 3 minutes & it wasnt boring to people ...& I thought that is for me! :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 08:06:58 AM »

Absolutely:  And thinking about that brings me round to Link Wray, The guy I can't remember from the the group that did "Apache" and "Telstar".  

Hank Marvin?
[/quote]

Yes.  Thank you.  Hank Marvin and the Shadows.  Not that "The Shadows" did Telstar or Apache.  But it was Hank Marvin I was thinking of.  The versions I remember of "Telstar" and "Apache" were both by "The Ventures" if I remember right.  Dunno who the guitarist was, but I wonder if it was Hank Marvin.  Sounded like him to my untrained ears in both songs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:12:16 AM by hardtwistmusic »

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 08:08:29 AM »
omg how could I leave hank marvin out of my top guitarists! :o

It's easy to do.  There are just sooooo many wonderful guitarists. 

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
Plus one for many of those names, especially Schenker, Gallagher & SRV. Got to add Joe Satriani, for me his music is the most accessible of the super-virtuoso players.
There's a guy plays in the el piano de cola bar corallejo, fuerteventura who is awesome too - Eric Sijpestin.
GTB

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 11:17:28 AM »
Hank Marvin plays a pretty mean gypsy jazz guitar, too. In fact, he's a lot easier to listen to than many of the more flash and fast players. He has a beautiful sense of touch, timing and most of all melody when he plays Django style.
West Country Country Boy

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »
Peter Green....YES!  Django definitely.

Let's not forget T Bone Walker.....bit of a pioneer.

I've got a soft spot for Elmore James too.

Robby Krieger (as with the rest of The Doors apart from Jimbo) doesn't get the attention he deserves I don't think.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer