Selling your music

• 14 Replies

Craig Watkins

• Busker
« on: September 10, 2016, 09:19:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Have you ever sold any of your tracks? I always wanted to try and make some money from them, but I always end up putting them as a free download. I would feel as I was ripping people off.

Have you ever felt like this? Or is it just me?

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 09:34:52 PM »
why would you feel your ripping people off? that makes it sound like they fell off the back of a lorry or you picked them up in some shady deal  ;D
do you mean sell them to be recorded by someone else or do you mean sell them to people who want to buy them to listen to?
anyway its funny you should say that bcos im the opposite I have always set a price for downloading simply bcos if I said they were free it would give the impression they were worthless to me & that would make  people think they can take them & rip them off
 my songs mean more to me than than money or popularity  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Craig Watkins

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 09:44:07 PM »
why would you feel your ripping people off? that makes it sound like they fell off the back of a lorry or you picked them up in some shady deal  ;D
do you mean sell them to be recorded by someone else or do you mean sell them to people who want to buy them to listen to?
anyway its funny you should say that bcos im the opposite I have always set a price for downloading simply bcos if I said they were free it would give the impression they were worthless to me & that would make  people think they can take them & rip them off
 my songs mean more to me than than money or popularity  :)
  sell them for people to listen to like iTunes ect:-. Even though I personally like my songs I don't think that they would ever be good enough to sell them.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »
dont you ever listen to songs on the radio or in the charts & think omg that is total crap my stuff is better than that?  you must do ...i do every day of the year  ;D
& that must mean your songs are good enuff for people to buy  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »
That's confidence, nowt to do with ripping people off. It's not like you're selling them a car with dodgy suspension. If they like it they'll buy it, if they don't they won't.  Incidentally my song "Hasta Los Cojones", which got rave reviews worldwide (that's how I see the forum) is on iTunes. I think it's sold 3 copies in four years. Two of those may have been to me.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 06:32:43 AM »
That's confidence, nowt to do with ripping people off. It's not like you're selling them a car with dodgy suspension. If they like it they'll buy it, if they don't they won't.  Incidentally my song "Hasta Los Cojones", which got rave reviews worldwide (that's how I see the forum) is on iTunes. I think it's sold 3 copies in four years. Two of those may have been to me.

Just to put things in perspective.  That's three more copies than I'VE ever sold.  'o) 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Craig Watkins

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »
Same here lol

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »
There ought to be a site which provided you meet a minimum level of quality of production & performance they let anyone post their song to, then pay you per download/stream.
Maybe there is...
GTB

JHoos

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 01:19:07 PM »
Hi,

Most people will preview your song before buying, and at about 89p per song, if they still want to proceed then thats fine, no one really looses out.  Also, with sites like spotify and deezer, they can actually stream them for free (with the odd advert thrown in that they have to listen to), but you still get a (small) streaming royalty - so again, everyone is a winner.  I dont feel at all like I'm ripping off anyone, so if I were you I would crack on and get it done !!!

Cheers

John

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
I've just pulled all my songs off digital....it's a waste of time , unless you're  a budding artist ,and a good one.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 09:33:36 PM »
Hi,

Most people will preview your song before buying, and at about 89p per song, if they still want to proceed then thats fine, no one really looses out.  Also, with sites like spotify and deezer, they can actually stream them for free (with the odd advert thrown in that they have to listen to), but you still get a (small) streaming royalty - so again, everyone is a winner.  I dont feel at all like I'm ripping off anyone, so if I were you I would crack on and get it done !!!

Cheers

John

It's all sounds like the square root of shit all as far as the writer is concerned.

JHoos

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »
wow

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 11:31:18 PM »
A couple of things spring to mind after reading this thread. Just because you're not signed to a major record label doesn't mean your music isn't good enough to sell. You've *heard* some of the music that gets used particularly on TV, right? But just because your music's good enough to sell doesn't mean anyone's going to buy it. It's always been the case that the people making a living from music represent the tip of the iceberg of musicians. A combination of luck, temperament, looks, persistence and other responsibilities all come into play. That's true now more than ever with access to affordable recording technology.

It depends on what you want from your music I suppose. Of course, I'd love to make my living from making music, and it's what I'm always aiming at. But I'm also realistic enough to know that this may never happen, or I may only make a small part of my living doing it. In which case, it would be nice to think it could at least pay for itself. If I can't even achieve that, I won't stop being a musician. So long as there's someone out there who enjoys what I'm doing, it's enough (I hope) to keep me motivated. Look at some of the classical repertoire. Many highly regarded composers lived in great poverty during their lifetimes, only for their music to gain recognition long after they'd gone. Not saying that will happen to me, but what I am saying is that revenue is no indicator of quality.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 08:15:57 AM »
Tone is right, with his reasoned reply. My apologies to JH for being dismissive and rude.

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:29 AM »
I wonder if peoples approach to their music is any different to their approach to dealings in every other aspect of life...

some people value themselves and their time and effort highly and want to see rewards in the way of money.

money is, i sometimes fear, the only yardstick society seems able to comprehend...and until that particular edifice has crumbled into the dust...we will continue to be led to believe that anything that failed to flip a coin was futile...which is - of course - not so.

music has the benefit (partly, at least) of living outside that paradigm...though it didn't take long for the Colonel Tom's of this world's eyes to light up...

anyway...everyone knows that - in music - "losersville" is the coolest address

i think theres a song in that...hmm...this could be my ticket out of here  ::)

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter