konalavadome

Hotel Bar (work in progress / spitballing lyrics) - any good?

• 3 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:36 PM »
I spend time in hotel bars
Cause that's where the other wanderers are

And when the liqueur is all gone
I sing to the stars
About our lives and what we lost

Make a toast to the moon
Holding my guitar to the sky
Letting it ring out the sweetest lullaby

A place where I can be alone to write my songs
I'll always love the isolation of hotel bars

Mom I'm sorry
I found myself in a hotel bar
A hundred miles away from where you are
I won't forget to write
But I'd rather write you a song to remember me by

Because my home will always be in a hotel bar

Miguelrye89

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »
I like it, my only advice if it's meant to be a song is break it down with verses and a chorus. I see a story here, have the verses tell the story with a chorus that overall tells the theme!

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:10:55 PM »
I won't forget to write
But I'd rather write you a song to remember me by

Not bad, but avoid using the same word (in this case "write") in the same verse (I even try to avoid double usage throughout the song).

Something like:
But I'd rather spill a song you can remember me by

Bar = drinks and drinks you can spill
Spill = leaving something behind :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 07:06:21 PM »
Interesting title that drew me in - I guess that's a good thing. For some reason I kept thinking of The Chainsmokers 'Closer' from the title - ya know that line' now ya looking pretty in a hotel bar' but I love that song so I'm not saying you copied the idea or anything like that, just a weir musical connection in my tiny little mind!

Huge +1 to the suggestion to develop a chorus. Doesn't have to belong but I think it'd work as a good hook for the song as a whole. I think the opening two lines could actually be turned into a chorus of sorts - it's got the hook/title plus it wouldn't break up the flow of the existing lyric.

I couldn't disagree more with the avoid repeating 'write' - repetition is good in songwriting. Just look at any hit song and you'll see lots of words phrases or repeated.

Some nice lines in this one and a loved the idea of making a toast to the moon with a drink in one hand and guitar in the other. Nice imagery building up in my head over that line which I guess is what any good lyric should do.