konalavadome

Never Back Down

• 19 Replies

AndyV

• Busker
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

Please allow me to share a song of mine, called "Never Back Down", which was recenty released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyrgk5uCHns

It was written as a response to the terrorist attacks that have been going on lately.

Unfortunaly, only 3 weeks after recording this in my home studio, the singer (Sander Deroo) lost his life in a terrible working accident. We released this as a dedication to him and all benefits are going directly to his wife and daughter.

I hope you enjoy the song. If you feel like buying it, it's available on iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Amazon, ...

Here are the lyrics and chords:

Never Back Down

Verse 1:                   
D   
   It's 6 o'clock and the sky is grey         
D   
   Still trying to figure out yesterday      
         G                         D
Guess life is not the way it used to be      

Verse 2:
We live in anger, we live in fear
Too many words we don't wanna hear
So many pictures we don't wanna see

Bridge:
Bm                 A             G                     D
     But should we worry if we all can stand together?
Bm        A                    G                   D
Should we apologize for a stranger's deadly sin?
Bm      A        G             D
Can't we all gather and look upon the future
   G              A
Remembering, but never giving in?

Chorus:
                D             A   
Never give up, never back down   
               Bm              G      
While the world is spinning 'round and around   
         D             A   
Don't stop, never give up   
           G         
Never back down   

Feel free, feel strong
Put your trust in where your heart belongs
Don't stop, never give up
Never back down

Verse 3:                  
Why should we cast our dreams away      
When we can live a better day         
By standing up for all that we believe      

Verse 4:
The wall has crumbled but it ain't gone
We can rebuild it stone by stone
There’s so much hope, if only we could see

Bridge:
We shouldn't worry if we all can stand together
We won't apologize for a stranger's deadly sin
So let's all gather and look upon the future
Remembering, but never giving in.

Chorus...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 10:50:01 AM by AndyV »

Oldbutyet

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:20:09 PM »
Hey Andy

"It was written as a response to the terrorist attacks that have been going on lately"  and then

"Unfortunaly, only 3 weeks after recording this in my home studio, the singer (Sander Deroo) lost his life in a terrible working accident. We released this as a dedication to him and all benefits are going directly to his wife and daughter"

First of all the video has nothing to do with "response to the terrorist attacks"  it was a music video, the second part.

You go ahead and explain the second part.

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 08:49:56 AM »
The song was written with the terrorist attacks as a theme. The initial idea was to release it with a video which was related to this subject.

But when the singer (my friend) suddenly lost his life, it became all about him and his family, so that's why the video is a compilation of footage from his life.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 08:55:56 AM »
Hi I was listening....just as you posted your last comment.

I get the sentiment about never backing down or giving into Terrorism....excellent comment.

The song has excellent energy and is well produced.

Lyrics are good and love the guitars in the song.

Lots of potential.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.... It's nice of you to pay him this respect.

Sandeep

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 09:01:49 AM »
Hey

Thanks, it means a lot that my friend's talent is being heard and liked. The song would never have been the same without his input and energy.

Andy

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 08:53:27 PM »
The mood of the song is much too upbeat for the lyric......the happy sounding voice and melody don't fit a song about standing up to terrorism in my ear.......more of a didn't we have fun all summer feeling.   And I understand the tribute thing to your fallen comrade but the video doesn't suit the message at all.  Otherwise it's well sung, well played and well produced.

So how about a few reviews from you?  There are other contributors here.......

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:48:12 AM »
Hi

Actually, the initial demo was slower (especially the bridge), but during production we decided that a song about hope needed energy.

As for the video, you have to understand that the song was released as a dedication to the singer. At that moment, the actual content of the song came in second place.

And yes, I will be contributing don't worry, just haven't found the time yet ;)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 04:38:05 PM »
Hi Andy,sorry for the loss of your pal.

The song starts off very U2,but develops it's own flavour as it progresses.

I quite enjoy a conflict of tune and lyric content,I heartily endorse Tom Waits opinion on the matter,he said,"I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things".

The song is a very pleasant listen to my ears,radio ready if you can get someone to play it.

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 07:58:11 AM »
Hi Skub

Actually, the singer was the front man of a U2 tribute band and the song has been recorded in co-operation with his band. The U2-sound was intentional so we could keep a link with his past, that's why you have this delay guitar throughout the song.

I'm glad you like the song. And it has been playing on Belgian national radio for 4 weeks in a row now :)

We hope to be selling as much as possible because all benefits are going directly to his wife and daughter.

Apologies for the commercial note, but if anyone feels like buying or streaming the song, it's available for 0.99$ on iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play, ...

Thx in advance.

Cheers,
Andy

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
Hi Andy,

Firstly, sorry for the loss of your friend...the song is a great tribute to him.

I am glad to hear that the song is getting some airplay in Belgium.

I too echo the comments about sounding similar to U2...not a complaint...I am a big fan so it appealed to my ears.

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
Thanks a lot for your kind feedback :)

Cheers
Andy

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 04:28:36 PM »
Hi Andy

It´s well-produced, well-performed and well-recorded. I hope it makes some money for your friend´s family.

It´s not my type of thing although it is a very well crafted song. It has all the classic bits in all the classic places and does what it says on the tin. The delayed guitar is a bit U2, but I didn´t really hear them in the rest of the arrangement - it was more pop-rock than they tend to be. Anyway, welcome to the forum and hope to see you stick around  :)

AndyV

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2016, 06:56:35 PM »
Hi Martyn

Thx for your comments. The singer was the front man of a U2 tribute band and the song has been recorded in co-operation with his band. So the U2 sound was intentional.

The initial demo was entirely pop/rock but it was mixed differently to keep a link with U2, because Sander was a big admirer of Bono. And this is after all a tribute to him.

Cheers
Andy

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2016, 08:42:32 PM »
yeah soon as i heard those guitars U2 came to mind, good stuff!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2016, 12:53:58 AM »
Hi Andy.........

I've listened a couple of times, now....and, I must say, that this is really well produced. I think the song is very well written; however, I've now come to the conclusion that, for it to become a unique piece of music, IMHO, it needs to be more uniquely produced. You've taken a very nice song and produced it just like the GAZILLION other really nice songs that are out there.
One of the virtues of the sites, like this one, is that the productions are, by and large, fresh with personal and unique imperfections. And as I have questioned , many times in the past, the "perfect" diamond is the one, probably and most likely, made of zirconia. The perceived imperfection is every bit a part of character, as the perfections.
Strip the veneer and make it real.
A very great song, never the less!!
                                                                       8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee