konalavadome

Fly Until I Die

• 8 Replies

Dennis Vella

• Busker
« on: August 20, 2016, 09:11:12 AM »
"Fly Until I Die" was written when I realized that I was heading towards my death, even though I'm young the time is ticking. But when that's said, I wanted to describe how I'll live my life with all my heart and soul. My aims is to use it in perfomance and reminding me that life is short and I should do whatever what makes me happy. What do think about the lyrics could something be done better according to you. Can you relate to some parts of the song? What do you think about my singing voice? Enjoy, Dennis Vella

https://soundcloud.com/dennisvellamusic/fly-until-i-die

Yesterday, yesterday I saw
My future my future
I saw the light, I saw the ending light
Then I realized that I’m heading

Towards, towards death
It opened, it opened my eyes
To the goals of my life
Stay true to your fire

I’m gonna run until the end
I’m gonna live a life that’s full
I will not waste my time
I’m gonna fly until I die

This feeling, this feeling is true
We’re all gonna die some day
I’m not gonna sit and wait for my death
I have to live my life now

I will not waste my time

All these thoughts of death is the reason that I live
Ten years have got behind your head you’ve missed the starting gun

I will not waste my time

I will not waste my time
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 10:28:34 AM by Dennis Vella »

JOdejo

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 11:28:58 AM »
Okay, I like the guitar at the beginning. When you started to sing, I had to get used to it, because the melodies are not very easy to listen at. Also, I had the idea that in the low parts your voice was a little unstable, but maybe that was meant to be. The chorus started, and I liked the beginning, but every sentence has the same melody line, forgive me if it's not true, it's what I hear. The end of the sentences were very surprising, I still don't really get them. In the second verse, somehow, I liked the singing melodies way more. Maybe because I got a little more used to it, I don't know, but I like the second verse! So I actually like the song, but if I were in your shoes, I would change the melody of a few sentences in the chorus. It's just not a really easy song to have a listen at, but that doesn't mean I can't like it. I do like it! I hope my comment is a little useful, I don't think so. Thanks for posting this song!
Music explains what words can't

Dennis Vella

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:29 AM »
Thanks it was really constructive :)

Dennis Vella

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 12:10:23 PM »
The chorus basically means, life is short and that's why we have to to seize the day. Live a life that's full of purpose, and not waste it. I used "fly" to emphasize being free.

I will not waste my time

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
Hi;

i hear Nirvana in this song

I think the chord progressions and melody in the chorus don t work that well.
sounds a little "separated" from the rest.
i think it s a good starting point for further songwriting attempts.

I also think the lyrics are more like...you re talking to yourself. I d use a different approach for lyrics to share with the public; but that s just me....well, my lyrics are not very good, so, what do i know.

I know, my critic sounds bad; sorry; i think you ll write some good songs if you just keep on working on stuff - i think it s obvious, that you have talent; i just think, this song does t show this talent.

my 2 cents

B

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 01:56:31 PM »
Interesting topic, kind of morbid, but I like it anyway. I always appreciate songs that speak to something other than romantic love, especially love lost or gone wrong or bad or whatever.

I find the sound of the song kind of raw or unpolished, if that makes any sense. Have you done a lot of songwriting or are you just getting started? This song feels too repetitious for me; there isn't much variation in the melody line. Also, some of the words, and the way they fit the melody, feel forced.

I do think the song has a lot of potential and I hope you will keep working on it. I can always tell a song I think is--or will be--good by how much I am inspired to start looking for improvements.

Your voice reminds me of the Beatles the way I remember them when I was a kid. :)  They had a raw, unpolished sound in the beginning, so you're in good company.  ;D

Vicki

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »
Many lines seem forced to fit and the lyric doesn't flow well, making the vocal sound kind of wonky in places.  The minor key seems befitting the "I'm gonna die" parts of the lyric but then, to my ear, feels conflicting to the "I'm gonna go ahead and live anyway" parts.  And the realization that we're born to die seems a bit repetitive within the lyric....  That message comes across clearly in the first verse......we got that part.  What was it that made you come to this realization?  How, other than not sitting around waiting for death, are you going to "fly until you die"?  Tell the listener about your thoughts on not wasting your time.........how will you spend it?  What will you do?

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2016, 03:09:37 PM »
Hi there!

I hear a big Nirvana influence as well. The guitar progression throughout the verse and chorus sound good to my ears and the chorus is quite good. As others have said the verse melodies do sound a bit forced as though you wrote the lyrics beforehand then tried to fit them to the nice, picking riff you had...dont be afraid to change them after writing them. You have a really good base for a song here, but you need to work on it a bit, especially in the verses.

As for the lyrics I think they're ok...but they were a bit of a downer. You can get the same message across being more upbeat. As others have said, what you are really celebrating is life and how to live it rather than choosing to live a certain way because of whats coming. This approach could make listeners a bit more engaged but I kinda had a panic attack and had to go for a lie down  ;)

I hope all this is constructive, keep working on it. I think your voice sounds really nice, with a great tone, and will just keep getting better the more you practice. Post another version so we can see how you're doing!

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
A good listen for a song with plenty of potential.

Your voice is a bit raw in sections, and guitar a bit rusty.

But this is definitely something that I would revisit , if it was polished up a bit more.

Sandeep