konalavadome

Friend

• 31 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 05:18:02 PM »
Hi martyn

Listening on a mono bluetooth speaker so I'm no help mixing wise. But as far as the song goes this is great! Love the modern funky groove to it - could be top 40 if funk you up can be.
You gotta change the title though - "What You Gonna Do?" seems the obvious candidate.

fine work on display here!
Paul

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2016, 09:40:45 PM »
Thanks all three of your for listening and giving your comments...very positively taken! A friend of mine is putting a video together so that should hopefully give it some more exposure. Im not a fan of samples either but I just had to show those people up. Anyway...

Jambrains - which bit of the bass do you mean? The bass on the chorus is dead centre..and I don't hear the bass on the heavier bits that far out...it is only slightly panned. I am wondering if you are hearing the synth line underneath that is maybe clashing on the bass frequencies? That effect is a definite swirler...  :D

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:08 PM »

Jambrains - which bit of the bass do you mean? The bass on the chorus is dead centre..and I don't hear the bass on the heavier bits that far out...it is only slightly panned. I am wondering if you are hearing the synth line underneath that is maybe clashing on the bass frequencies? That effect is a definite swirler...  :D

The bass line that comes in for the first time at around 1.07 was what I had in mind.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »
A complex and entertaining piece..enjoyed the panning myself..a bit unusual...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:38 PM »
Reminded me of Lennon when the vocals kicked in,very Beatle-ish.

Then it goes off into Faithless territory.

Great topic,I have the ultimate disrespect for politicos and it pleases me to hear anyone hold the greedy bassdrinkers to account.  :)

A very interesting piece,young Martyn.  8)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 09:00:30 AM »
Martin,
Neat intro and liked the morphing into a dance track. Had my foot tapping straight away.
Lyrics all good and it all works with vocals clips. Blair and Garage are the 'best' ones. Did that take a while to find them all?

Re arrangement the mix my only suggestion is that you put the bass right in the middle of the mix. It sounds more powerful when the bass guitar is there, so i think the synth bass should be more prominent too. Great choked guitar solo.

Got flavours of Stereo MC's in the somewhere
 :) :)

Neil
songwriter of no repute..

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 10:48:13 PM »
Thanks both. It didn't take me long to find the samples, there are a million of them on Youtube. I will look at the remix of the bass and see what it sounds like...as always your comments are very much appreciated.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 11:07:13 AM »

Hi Marty,

Yeah, like this  ;D ;D  Mixing/playing gtr and synth together,
 and getting it to sound good, aint easy ;D ;D  But I think you
 managed it here.  I love the choppy, driving rhythm gtrs.  The
 song really takes off when they kick in.  If it were mine....... ;D
 I would be looking at having more of that gtr and less of the
 'what ya goin to do' vocal.  Sounds really good at the end when
 they both come together, and I'd be tempted to shorten the intro.
 Just like to hear that gtr kick in earlier  ;D ;D

Great concept, and loved the soundbites ;D

Excellent work...

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

JOdejo

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
I like the harmonies and instruments in your song, and the "what ya gonna do" very much! And well, I'm bad at mixing so I can't help you, but I can say in my ears you did a good job!
Music explains what words can't

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2016, 11:28:30 AM »
Hi Martyn,

Very good listen.

Really liked the different styles throughout the song; they blended well and gelled with the speech samples.

Good vocal delivery.

The panning was different - but I rather quite liked it.

Digger

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2016, 12:25:08 PM »
Thanks you three. I did tried to put the bass in the centre but to me it made the mix sound too muddy...there´s a lot going on in the background to fill the bugger out. Plenty of people say they like it as it is so I´ll leave it as it is, because I like it too  :D

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »
Man! My bad,I thought I'd commented on this already mate. ???

Great use of and selection of samples.I think you've done a great job with the mix mate.I especially love the music bit after "not laughing now" really great mate! The "what you gonna do" is a good hook.Theres a couple of minor pitchy parts mate,but other than that I got nothing but love for this one! ;D ;D

Graemepryce

• Busker
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2016, 10:24:50 PM »
Amazing stuff. Really liked it. I can't help with mixing - I've never particularly been a techie. I'm still sitting in front of the camera with my guitar and hoping for the best. lol

Great track though, genuinely can't think of any criticism at all and I'll be listening to it again.

Well done!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »
I, too found the political references beyond my understanding. . . and didn't mind at all. 

Love the concept.  Love most of the execution.

One thing I found is that with all the musical interludes, I was able to experiment and found an all-but infinite number of ways to sing each part of this without departing from the musical instrumentation. 

The music allows a LOT of room for vocal interpretation.  I'm not sure you have taken full advantage of that with  your current vocal. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.