konalavadome

Friend

• 31 Replies

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« on: August 18, 2016, 11:05:22 PM »
Well you cheeky chappies, I finally got so narked off at politicians I wrote a song about them, something I rarely feel inclined to do...this one is dedicated to them all, whatever party they say they represent. It starts off quite folky then goes into some thumping dance with guitars...I hope you like it.

It was one difficult song to mix...big time. Any feedback on the mix or how to improve it would be tearfully received with possible gifts in the post.

Lyrics are at the link:

https://soundcloud.com/martynrich/friend/s-zafty

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 12:31:29 PM »
It was one difficult song to mix...big time. Any feedback on the mix or how to improve it

Hi;

I think you use the panning too much. don t pan stuff (synths and guitars) that much into one direction.
I know, it makes the mix more transparent, but it s wired for the ear of the listener.

especially the bass has to be in the center.

The song itself has many interesting soundscapes, instruments and ideas this "rap" and "speech" part from 2:30 on.
It s a very ambitioned piece of music. in terms of music and content.
Great man!

B

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Sorry MnR....can't help with the mix (obvious reasons).......but I can tell you that I enjoyed this track.....very entertaining!
Good stuff!
                                      8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 08:02:10 PM »
Err. Very nice. I wish I had your skills.
The guitar is great. The concept, to sample those politicians - just brilliant.
Very good work! 
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 08:47:19 PM »
@B - thanks mate. The bass is panned dead centre on the chorus sections, then I pan it opposite the guitars on the rocking bits...I hear what you are saying though and will keep tweaking it.

@Tom - Thanks for comments!

@Rightly -  ;D Err. Love it!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 09:07:23 PM »
this is great, Martyn  :)

loved the lead guitar...sounded pretty epic

i think the sample of Mr Farage is my favourite...an excellent choice

fantastic stuff...who needs enemies?
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 09:54:30 PM »
Martyn,

Enjoyed this listen.

Great Samples...should add the one when Blair says he's just an ordinary guy.

Love that bass.

More please!

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 11:45:53 PM »
This is brilliant stuff Martyn. Blair, major, farage in the same space. The "You're not laughing now" quote will surely go down in history. As usual your songs are quirky, inventive and unique and you always have something to say apart from "Lost love yuckkkkk". Keep it up bro. You are on a roll. By the way there is a beer waiting for you in the Hope and Anchor (Hopeless W****r)

Cheers John aka Pompeyjazz

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 01:37:13 PM »
@PaulAds - thanks buddy. Exactly my thinking, who does indeed?

@Sandeep - Yep, I had a million samples to choose from. Very painful to go through but I couldn't bear much more so I went with what I had. Thanks for the comments!

@John - thanks for the glowing review mate, it brightened up my morning no end...I have dim memories of the Hope & Anchor - I think it came in no. 4 after the Golden Globe, The Courtyard and the D&T...sure I must have played there as well.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »
starts off folky & then omg its bronski beat ,..& now theres frantic funky frankie goes rhythym guitar ...are these politicians debating gay disco?
im not so keen on political samples in songs but they do work well in this & make it sound weighty & protesty..thats a new word ive invented just for your song btw  ;D
ferocious guitar solo & at the end as well ..it sounds like a WMD
you do like to get funky  & I enjoy it all but it always seems to slightly lack one of the funky five ingredients but being a white girl I dont know what it is ....maybe its in the mixing you talked about?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »
Well I googled funky 5 ingredients and all I got was Jamie Oliver so that didn´t help much. The only ingredient I know in funk is to hit the ´1´ everytime, bang on the button. To be honest, funk never entered my head so it´s interesting you should say it, as I was thinking more rock n´ dance and I guess I´m trying to achieve a good hybrid of the two. Bit by bit I´ll get there. Maybe the beat is too complicated in the rocky (funky) bits and I should simplify it a bit...

Thanks for the review and the new music genre though! That´s now two from you so I defo owe you one back  :D

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 11:30:28 PM »
no i made up 'funky five ingredients' aswell ! ;D
its what i always do when i dont know what im talking about ...it always worked before google  :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
Very funky and cool. I'm amazed at what you guys can do with all these different instruments (whether real or virtual). A real groovy soundscape and the samples are spot on. The guitar playing is really nice - just drives the piece along with the great drums. Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do with this one? Something for sure I hope :-)
West Country Country Boy

Oldbutyet

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 04:41:51 PM »
I think you got one really brilliant song here and love the way you fitted everything together, not to sure of the title though, maybe "When they screw you over"  anyway, cant help you on the mix or whatever know nothing about that but what i will say is if you can get your song out there, i would say you would gather a huge amount of listeners, not often you hear songs like this but when you do, everyone listenings, all the parts you fitted made headlines news.

Great song Martyn glad you weren't put of recording it   8)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2016, 05:13:47 PM »
1000% agree with Butcher regarding the panning of the bass! Don't mind the rest of the pannings as much but the bass is really disturbing. Musically not really my cup of tea but I do appreciate the skills involved putting it together. Not sure about the vocals, from time to time the pitch sound off but that might just intended. Much of the policts passed my by for obviously resasons (I'm Swedish) but good used of samples anyways. Perhaps the kick could use some more punch? For some reason I got som Pump Up The Volume vibes from this track