Turn Off These Lights

• 32 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2016, 09:02:40 AM »
I always like your songs, and this one especially. Maybe all of them especially--I'd have to go back and listen again to be sure. This one because I'm listening right now! :)

I listened a couple times, trying to hear the breathing, but no luck. It must have something to do with the headphones/speakers a person is using. So not everyone can hear the breathing. I'm using headphones. I haven't tried speakers.

My only nit has to do with [no surprise] enunciation. Sometimes ends of words are missing, and saying things like "forgetchew" instead of "forget you" is one of my pet peeves. I know it's no big deal to a lot of people, so ignore that or not, as suits you.

Vicki

Hi Vicki........I'm sure I'm singing "forget you"  :-[  and I'm never in such a hurry to forget to chew   :-\  On second thought, I was eating some peanut butter when I was recording  :P
Anywhoooo, I'll try to be more conscious with my annunciation.
Thanks!!
                          -T
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 01:09:51 PM »
A very catchy song,Tom. There wasn't anything that jarred with me at all. Well written,well played and well sung.  :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 09:53:38 PM »
Now that was one lovely song, you got great style Tom no doubt about that and i love that little guitar playing at the end, the way you sing your songs with that lovely acoustic playing, Man as i said, you got great style   8)

Lovely picture of you and your daughter as well.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 07:07:21 AM »
A very catchy song,Tom. There wasn't anything that jarred with me at all. Well written,well played and well sung.  :)

Thanks for listening and commenting.......and for the kudos  ;D  I'm glad you liked it

Now that was one lovely song, you got great style Tom no doubt about that and i love that little guitar playing at the end, the way you sing your songs with that lovely acoustic playing, Man as i said, you got great style   8)

Lovely picture of you and your daughter as well.

And thank you, Oldbutyet..............very much appreciated.  8)

And thanks to all, for listening.....
                                                              -Tom

-IronKnee

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 01:45:03 AM »
Hi Tom

Great song from you again.
Lovely finger picking - reminded of Gord Lightfoot or Glen Campbell - had that energy and forward motion. Vocals are great - esp that high note in the bridge! I heard some breathing at the front end too or was it hiss - couldn't tell. But it didn't detract. At first I thought the lyrics were too sad for the upbeat tempo, but I got so much into the feel of the song it didn't matter :)

Stellar work!
Paul

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2016, 06:44:46 AM »
I love folk songs.  I love finger pick guitar.  I always love how your songs come together (at least the ones you post). 

It was an absolute inevitability that I would like this a lot.  My kind of music, my kind of guitar work, and my kind of songwriter. 

Not much to say beyond that, but this was another in a long line of exceptional songs. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2016, 01:39:42 PM »
Haha people are always telling me I am deaf which I find annoying but I also hear the breathy sounds as well quite easily at the beginning
I also have to agree with Vicki on the "forgetchew" singers do it a lot and if a certain word comes a lot it is quite irritating
But quite a catchy song to listen to :-)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 01:54:49 PM by lillypilly »

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2016, 11:02:50 PM »
Wow Tom. Just catching up on some stuff on the ferry on a day trip to France. This is brilliant man. The number one thing that gets me about this song is the absolute passion that you put into everything. I got some sixties vibes big time. It's a great song and breathing, well we all have to do that don't we  :) Respect bro  :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 05:47:24 AM »
Hi Tom

Great song from you again.
Lovely finger picking - reminded of Gord Lightfoot or Glen Campbell - had that energy and forward motion. Vocals are great - esp that high note in the bridge! I heard some breathing at the front end too or was it hiss - couldn't tell. But it didn't detract. At first I thought the lyrics were too sad for the upbeat tempo, but I got so much into the feel of the song it didn't matter :)

Stellar work!
Paul

Thanks Paul.....I've always been impressed with Glens guitar playing.....and have always loved Gordons music. Thanks for the kudos!

I love folk songs.  I love finger pick guitar.  I always love how your songs come together (at least the ones you post). 

It was an absolute inevitability that I would like this a lot.  My kind of music, my kind of guitar work, and my kind of songwriter. 

Not much to say beyond that, but this was another in a long line of exceptional songs. 
Although undeserved, I thank you very much for all the encouraging words. I really appreciate it! Thanks Hardtwist

Haha people are always telling me I am deaf which I find annoying but I also hear the breathy sounds as well quite easily at the beginning
I also have to agree with Vicki on the "forgetchew" singers do it a lot and if a certain word comes a lot it is quite irritating
But quite a catchy song to listen to :-)

Thanks lillypilly (that's some net-name  ;D) Not convinced that it's breathing.......but it must be something. Whatever it is, I'm not hearing it on my headsets...... :'(   Sorry! I don't dent it....just wish I could hear it  :-\  Thank you sooooo much for listening and commenting...I appreciate it  8)

Wow Tom. Just catching up on some stuff on the ferry on a day trip to France. This is brilliant man. The number one thing that gets me about this song is the absolute passion that you put into everything. I got some sixties vibes big time. It's a great song and breathing, well we all have to do that don't we  :) Respect bro  :)

Listened to it on the way back as well. Love it.

Thanks Pompy.........I am tickled that you like my song enough to listen to it twice........very nice, and a wonderful compliment unto itself....thank you  ;D

And than you to all who listened!!
                                                               8)-Tom

-IronKnee

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »

Hi Tom,

Lovely song....with a full production this would be classic ;D

Really like the gtr playing, rolls along very nicely.  Good, comfortable
 feel, which backs up the vocals perfectly.....very hooky ;D  Changes
 are good, especially like the way you handled the break and the way
 you bought it back.....nice chords ;D

Excellent songwriting   ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Royston

• Open Mic
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 03:28:45 PM »
Hi Tom

This a very nice song I love the guitar playing (sounds very Donovan to me) I had one of my songs done in this style, I love the lyrics, and melody and the way you've performed them very good write.

Cheers

Royston

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 08:08:39 AM »

Hi Tom,

Lovely song....with a full production this would be classic ;D

Really like the gtr playing, rolls along very nicely.  Good, comfortable
 feel, which backs up the vocals perfectly.....very hooky ;D  Changes
 are good, especially like the way you handled the break and the way
 you bought it back.....nice chords ;D

Excellent songwriting
   ;D

Hey there Bin.............thanks for chiming in.....I appreciate the encouraging words  ;D

Hi Tom

This a very nice song I love the guitar playing (sounds very Donovan to me) I had one of my songs done in this style, I love the lyrics, and melody and the way you've performed them very good write.

Cheers

Royston

Thanks Royston!

And thanks to all!
                                          8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 04:02:10 PM »
Hi Tom,

You're one of the people on here who should be famous - everything you do is quality and this is no exception. Lovely guitar work - tasteful and restrained. Lovely vocals with loads of lovely timbre and interesting overtones. It's one of the best vocal performances I've heard on here in a long time.

I absolutely love it.

M

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »
Hi Tom,

You're one of the people on here who should be famous - everything you do is quality and this is no exception. Lovely guitar work - tasteful and restrained. Lovely vocals with loads of lovely timbre and interesting overtones. It's one of the best vocal performances I've heard on here in a long time.

I absolutely love it.

M

Thanks for listening and the most generous comments. I really appreciate the encourgement... ;D

And thanks to all who listened
                                                                 8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee