konalavadome

Turn Off These Lights

• 32 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 17, 2016, 04:59:26 AM »
OK.....it's time to bandage my wounds and tend to the bruising I got in the last competitions. And while I'm away,  I hope you like my little acoustic folk guitar lament.......
As always, all comments and first impressions are very welcome and appreciated  ;D

Turn Off These Lights
 By Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12366111

I’m sleeping with the lights on
I keep the radio on
‘Cause I can’t stand this empty room
You once wrote, (that) your leaving
And all the pain I’m grieving
Will be behind me, one day soon”

But, still I can’t forget you
No matter how I try
I wish I could forget you
And turn off these lights

Most nights, I’m up all hours
Wondering if she’s ours
Was that new baby in your plan?
Now, I know I’ve been drinking
But, how long were you thinking
I was more a tool, than your man?

And, still I can’t forget you
No matter how I try

Thoughts bump in the night, they circle me like a starving shark
While memories, of her, bite at me from the dark…….
……and so,
I’m sleeping with the lights on
I keep the radio on
‘Cause I can’t stand this empty room
Your favorite song keeps playing
And, while it’s just me saying
I’d swear I’m smelling your perfume

‘Cause, still I can’t forget you
No matter how I try
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 05:28:01 AM »
Amen, brother.......well done.  Sweeping melody, and the lyric paints a vivid picture of loss in real time.  Nice guitar work as well - wish I had fingerpicking skills like this.  Good job on this.

But let me pick your brain a bit, you being a guitar player/writer, as I strive to be......  With this particular piece did you wrestle out most of the instrumental before lyric one and fit a melody to it?  Or did you have a piece of verse or chorus that you hammered out the guitar for and built from there?  Or did it happen some other way entirely?  The process interests me nearly as much as the product when it comes to writing.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 06:24:57 AM »
Amen, brother.......well done.  Sweeping melody, and the lyric paints a vivid picture of loss in real time.  Nice guitar work as well - wish I had fingerpicking skills like this.  Good job on this.

But let me pick your brain a bit, you being a guitar player/writer, as I strive to be......  With this particular piece did you wrestle out most of the instrumental before lyric one and fit a melody to it?  Or did you have a piece of verse or chorus that you hammered out the guitar for and built from there?  Or did it happen some other way entirely?  The process interests me nearly as much as the product when it comes to writing.

Hey there Buc....thanks for listening and asking.
This particular song was conceived while noodling around the guitar, playing and picking with rhythms.  The bouncing rhythm came first.....then the melodic phrase.......while the first line of the song spilled out, writing the rest of itself, seemingly on its own. The melody happened only a footstep ahead of the lyric. The only part which needed a more conscious focus of attention was that break about the shark in the dark. This was one of those lovely songs that only took a couple of days for me to believed it to be finished.
I too, am a songwriter person. I love the process of actually creating and writing the guitar part, the melody and lyric.. My recordings, however, are proof that I'm not much into the recording end of the whole process  :P. Don't get me wrong, I love the final finished results.....I just dread the recording process. I've got a dozen songs, 5 of which are potentially my best work, but I just don't have the time and energy to do what I need to do to motivate myself to the recorder.

In the end, it's questions and comments that keep me interested in music writing.....Thanks!
                                                       8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:03:27 AM »
Very nice guitar playin. Nice refrain.
I found the breaths a bit irritating though and it seemed cliche.
That's just my take on it though.

Very smooth.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 04:07:06 AM »

Very smooth.

Hi Rightly.......thanks for listening and commenting; however, "I found the breaths a bit irritating though and it seemed cliché"........  :-\
Listening again, maybe the 200rdth time, I don't hear any breaths  ??? And unless they sound forced and contrived, how could a breath sound cliché ?
I don't get it ???.......only that you found my song irritating  :'(
Sorry, man....I hope you can define where the breaths are that irritate you  :-[
                                                                             8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »

Very smooth.

Hi Rightly.......thanks for listening and commenting; however, "I found the breaths a bit irritating though and it seemed cliché"........  :-\
Listening again, maybe the 200rdth time, I don't hear any breaths  ??? And unless they sound forced and contrived, how could a breath sound cliché ?
Sorry, man....I hope you can define where the breaths are that irritate you  :-[
                                                                             8)-Tom

I can distinctly hear breaths... I'll listen again.
Aye, nasal breaths at the beginning, then later too.
I didn't mean the breaths sound cliche, but the lyrics.
Like I said though, that's down to personal taste.
I certainly don't mean to offend.
Rightly.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
OK.....it's time to bandage my wounds and tend to the bruising I got in the last competitions. And while I'm away,  I hope you like my little acoustic folk guitar lament.......
As always, all comments and first impressions are very welcome and appreciated  ;D

I'm pleased you're recovering and have bounced back so quickly.

It's a great song.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Don't know what your recovering from but this is one hell of a recovery.....hi standard mate..mucho respecto!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 01:05:28 PM »
Terrific stuff, Tom. There is some great music coming out of this place at the moment and much of it is from yourself!

I wouldn't worry about the competition results - this music lark is so subjective. For what it's worth, your entry was my number one choice!

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
Hi Tom,

Excellent work mate! This is my fave of yours when it comes down to the musicality.The guitar bounces around very nicely.The singings very nice to of course and the melodies very nice,especially when you drop to "turn down these lights".

Also kudos to you for pushing your voice in the bridge,well executed...haha & by that I mean you didn't murder it!! ;D ;D

My only nit is the breathing in the intro and the musical break before the second verse?? Sorry man,but it was distracting.You'll agree when you hear it.I don't mean the breath you take before you sing but this is heavy breathing while you are playing.Its really easy to edit out (unless of course you did it all live? Which of course I would tip my hat to you for! ;D )

Don't worry it's not a deal breaker or anything but I would get rid of them if You can.

Great work man
Leo  ;D

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 11:32:30 PM »
Superb from start to finish Tom, great song, great picking and fantastic performance. This is really hooky as well, it really has your soul plastered all over it. I can't remember hearing you sing so well before...your voice soars in places with real emotion. I have to say I am a big fan of your songs.

The breaths others are referring to are your normal breathing being picked up by the mic, but they do come through quite loud. Hazard of recording live I guess.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »

Very smooth.

8)-Tom

I can distinctly hear breaths... I'll listen again.
Aye, nasal breaths at the beginning, then later too.
I didn't mean the breaths sound cliche, but the lyrics.
Like I said though, that's down to personal taste.
I certainly don't mean to offend.
Rightly.

Well......the critisism is set against the recording, and it would be ridicules of me to overly defend my studio work. My wax filled ears aren't hearing it (could be the earphones I use)......anyways......thanks, again, for letting me know  8)

I'm pleased you're recovering and have bounced back so quickly.

It's a great song.
Thanks, Paul!

Don't know what your recovering from but this is one hell of a recovery.....hi standard mate..mucho respecto!!!

I'm recovering from the realization that nobody really loves me :'(............I think I'll go eat some worms :P
Thanks Shadowfax!

Terrific stuff, Tom. There is some great music coming out of this place at the moment and much of it is from yourself!

I wouldn't worry about the competition results - this music lark is so subjective. For what it's worth, your entry was my number one choice!

Cheers
Derek

Have I told you that I think you are AWESOME, lately  ;D Thanks for the most generous and kind words. Always a pleasure, Derek!
                                                               8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 09:46:29 PM »
Great song Tom....as ever

How you stay at such a high standard demonstrates your class.

Guitars excellent as ever.

Don't get the picture!

Sandeep

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 12:22:06 AM »
Hi Tom,

Excellent work mate! This is my fave of yours when it comes down to the musicality.The guitar bounces around very nicely.The singings very nice to of course and the melodies very nice,especially when you drop to "turn down these lights".

Also kudos to you for pushing your voice in the bridge,well executed...haha & by that I mean you didn't murder it!! ;D ;D

My only nit is the breathing in the intro and the musical break before the second verse?? Sorry man,but it was distracting.You'll agree when you hear it.I don't mean the breath you take before you sing but this is heavy breathing while you are playing.Its really easy to edit out (unless of course you did it all live? Which of course I would tip my hat to you for! ;D )

Don't worry it's not a deal breaker or anything but I would get rid of them if You can.

Great work man
Leo  ;D

Thanks for stopping by Leo, I really appreciate it.....I've listened now, 15-20 times, for the breathing, and I still don't hear it.....I guess a fox doesn't smell it's own den, too, as the saying goes  :P
Anyways, there's something there that everyone hears, for the love of Peat, I can't hear it  ???
but, thanks for listening and commenting!

Superb from start to finish Tom, great song, great picking and fantastic performance. This is really hooky as well, it really has your soul plastered all over it. I can't remember hearing you sing so well before...your voice soars in places with real emotion. I have to say I am a big fan of your songs.

The breaths others are referring to are your normal breathing being picked up by the mic, but they do come through quite loud. Hazard of recording live I guess.

Thanks MnR..........I appreciate the kudos!!

Great song Tom....as ever

How you stay at such a high standard demonstrates your class.

Guitars excellent as ever.

Don't get the picture!

Sandeep

And thank you Sandeep...........I always try to do something different. I appreciate the ;glowing review  ;D
And the pic is a shark metaphor representing fear: "Thoughts bump in the night, they circle me like a starving shark, while memories, of her, bite at me from the dark"…….hence, creating that fear of the dark, which can be so disturbing, compelling my subject to leave the radio and lights on during the night.  ;D
Thanks for asking!

And thank you all for listening!
                                                   -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »
I always like your songs, and this one especially. Maybe all of them especially--I'd have to go back and listen again to be sure. This one because I'm listening right now! :)

I listened a couple times, trying to hear the breathing, but no luck. It must have something to do with the headphones/speakers a person is using. So not everyone can hear the breathing. I'm using headphones. I haven't tried speakers.

My only nit has to do with [no surprise] enunciation. Sometimes ends of words are missing, and saying things like "forgetchew" instead of "forget you" is one of my pet peeves. I know it's no big deal to a lot of people, so ignore that or not, as suits you.

Vicki