konalavadome

"In the Name of the Father" - Collab - Hardtwistmusic / Oldbutyet

• 20 Replies

Oldbutyet

« on: August 16, 2016, 08:22:24 PM »
Hi All

A few weeks back Hardtwistmusic posted these wonderful lyrics he wrote call  "In the Name of the Father"  after reading them i got in touch with him and he every kindly give me permission to record them, would be great to get some feedback good or bad.

Thanks All.

https://soundcloud.com/user-955135668/in-the-name-of-the-father

In The Name Of The Father

When I was young I would walk down to
the church on the corner
And listen quite intently to all that they told me
I was taught that if I prayed
in the name of the father
Whatever I might ask for would surely come to be
Though my faith was small they said God would hear it all
And they promised he would answer, every prayer

I prayed for world peace
and some shred of understanding
of why war is considered a complete necessity
But Im older now and
my prayers still remain, unanswered
Something is far different than I was promised it would be
Could there possibly be more people praying for war
Than there are people praying for peace

Well we still fight and kill
And in the name of his only son they call, The Holy Prince of Peace
We are eternally invoking
the name of the father
To justify eternal wars that never seem to cease

Could it be that God wants us
eternally killing
and dying for his holy son they call, The Blessed Prince of Peace
Could it be that God just
responds to the wishes
of those who are praying that these wars will never cease
Is it a possibility that God can’t hear the likes of you and me
Does God only hear the prayers of those who hate

I sometimes suppose God depends upon those
who are silent to step up and be heard
We beseech God for peace when we bow our heads to pray
But we only want God's peace if it won't get in our way
There probably are more people praying for war
But then there is you and me, fighting and praying, for peace

I don’t believe that it is God
who provides misinformation
It is those who claim to speak for God whose messages are flawed
And so much of what we do
In the name of the father
Is incompatible with what I’ve been told of God

I think that those who pray for war are only praying louder
But again I sometimes suppose God depends upon those
who are silent to step up and be heard
We only want God's peace if it won't get in our way
I suspect that is the reason, there're so many wars today
But stil, I remember

When I was young I would walk down to
the church on the corner
And listen quite intently to all that they told me
I was taught that if I prayed
Whatever I might ask for would surely come to be
Though my faith was small they said God would hear it all
And they promised he would answer, every prayer

But Im so much older now and all
my prayers still remain, unanswered.

© copyright house all rights reserved

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 11:37:20 PM »
Fantastic spoken vocal over a brilliant lyric. Your voice is so suited to this type of thing and your understated tone delivers the message perfectly. I kept waiting for you to start singing and when you didn't I really found that instead I was listening to the message of the song, if that makes any sense at all. Fantastic stuff, should have been a "BareBones" entry   ;)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
When I first heard this spoken word rendition of this lyric, I was thrilled.  The more I listened to it, the more thrilled I got. 

For awhile, I considered using Pat's guitar backing and singing this in.  After listening about five times, I simply couldn't bear to change ANYTHING Pat had done. 

This spoken word version by Pat is one of my favorites from among all my songs. . .

I'm more thrilled every time I hear it.

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:32 PM »
i wish the guitar could have been louder pat i could hardly make out what chords you were playing
but your talking voice was absolutely perfect for this & i realy liked the way you did it

i realy liked verlons lines:

now they are realy strong & you could definitely base a  song round them
but i felt there were a few too many verses...too many words that diluted the message in those two lines so it ended up like a sermon instead of a song :)

Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

lillypilly

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 11:46:51 PM »
I would have liked to hear the guitar more in this although the talking voice was excellent to my ears

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »
This is different and I think it works. Your voice is very suited to this sort of talk over song. Would maybe had liked to have heard some more guitar (not all of the time) but in parts.

Good stuff.

John

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Hi

Great lyrics and spoken delivery.
I can't decide if I'd prefer the guitar louder or not. Too loud and it would be intrusive. At the moment it just breaks the silence behind the voice and is hard to distinguish - but maybe that is enough - after all, it is all about the lyrics.

Digger.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 09:35:28 PM »
Great concept....

Amazing lyrics...

Love the voice.

Sandeep

Oldbutyet

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Fantastic spoken vocal over a brilliant lyric. Your voice is so suited to this type of thing and your understated tone delivers the message perfectly. I kept waiting for you to start singing and when you didn't I really found that instead I was listening to the message of the song, if that makes any sense at all. Fantastic stuff, should have been a "BareBones" entry   ;)

Thanks Martyn, the spoken word was the way i felt the lyrics wanted me to go although i did try singing them at one stage but it just didn't feel right and yeah, there is a message of truth in Verlon lyrics no doubt about that.

When I first heard this spoken word rendition of this lyric, I was thrilled.  The more I listened to it, the more thrilled I got. 

For awhile, I considered using Pat's guitar backing and singing this in.  After listening about five times, I simply couldn't bear to change ANYTHING Pat had done. 

This spoken word version by Pat is one of my favorites from among all my songs. . .

I'm more thrilled every time I hear it.

Thanks Verlon for your kind words, really brilliant lyrics you wrote and for me so very true, definitely one of my favourites as well.

i wish the guitar could have been louder pat i could hardly make out what chords you were playing
but your talking voice was absolutely perfect for this & i realy liked the way you did it

i realy liked verlons lines:

now they are realy strong & you could definitely base a  song round them
but i felt there were a few too many verses...too many words that diluted the message in those two lines so it ended up like a sermon instead of a song :)

Hi Tina, sorry it went on a bit but to be honest i wasn't going to leave out any of the verses and anyway, always wanted to play the part of a preacher  ;D  ;D  i was never to sure about how high or low to go with the melody because for me the song is all about the lyrics and you're right, you could definitely base a song round those lyrics and a few more, any ideas, really glad you liked this Tina Thanks.

I would have liked to hear the guitar more in this although the talking voice was excellent to my ears

Thanks Lilly, normally I record acoustic and vocals on the same track but i found it easier to record the flow of the lyrics by listening to the melody on headphones and as i said, never to sure about how high or low, no good at this mixing stuff.

This is different and I think it works. Your voice is very suited to this sort of talk over song. Would maybe had liked to have heard some more guitar (not all of the time) but in parts.

Good stuff.

John

Hey John, to be honest im not much of a guitar player so what you hear is probably the best i can do for this song but glad you liked it, thanks John.

Hi

Great lyrics and spoken delivery.
I can't decide if I'd prefer the guitar louder or not. Too loud and it would be intrusive. At the moment it just breaks the silence behind the voice and is hard to distinguish - but maybe that is enough - after all, it is all about the lyrics.

Digger.

Thanks Digger, you're absolutely right this song is all about the lyrics and thanks for your feedback on "The Drums Of War"  really appreciate your thoughts on that song, thanks again Digger.

Great concept....

Amazing lyrics...

Love the voice.

Sandeep

Hey Sandeep, there is so much truth in Verlon lyrics that first verse remained me of when i was young, after that i just went with the flow.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 05:30:55 PM »
Hey Pat!

Is that really you? We missed you so much around here.
What a great song and lyric (one to be proud of HTM) - I wouldn't change a thing :)

Powerful stuff guys
Paul

Oldbutyet

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 09:48:43 PM »
Hey Pat!

Is that really you? We missed you so much around here.
What a great song and lyric (one to be proud of HTM) - I wouldn't change a thing :)

Powerful stuff guys
Paul

Hey Paul how is things mate, i was keeping under the radar just seeing if i can fit my way back into recording, went of it for a while but thanks to Cove and now HTM i think im getting back into it  (i hear some saying OH NO)   ;D   ;D   but anyway, yeah i love these lyrics no doubt about that and yeah (one to be proud of HTM)  Thanks Paul good to talk to you again  8)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 06:35:53 AM »
Hey there guys....what a wonderful piece. Lots of soulful refrain, with a lamenting tone, this is a campfire gem. It's so good to hear Hardtwists lyrics come to life.....good job Oldbutyet.
really great!
                          8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 01:04:36 PM »
The stuff of legend right here. Verlon's awesome lyrical wizardry with Pat's spoken delivery combine perfectly to make a very powerful piece. Very moving.  8)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 04:51:57 AM »
a few too many verses...too many words that diluted the message in those two lines so it ended up like a sermon instead of a song :)

I too think it kind of turned into a "sermon" instead of a song.  I think that is the strength of what Pat has done.  I like the "sermonesque" quality he brought to it.  

It's too long for a lyric.... so Pat made it a poem/sermon.  Perfect in my mind.  

I can't believe how much I (and many others now who I've had listen) like this.

I think part of why I like this so much (done this way) is that I just can't quite believe it can work this well as spoken word poetry.  But (to my ears) if DOES.  I'm amazed, grateful, and a little baffled that it could turn out this well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:54:26 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 08:51:50 PM »
Hey there guys....what a wonderful piece. Lots of soulful refrain, with a lamenting tone, this is a campfire gem. It's so good to hear Hardtwists lyrics come to life.....good job Oldbutyet.
really great!
                          8)-Tom

Hey Tom Thanks for listening and posting your thoughts, its always great to read feedback from fellow songwriters so really glad you like this, much appreciative.

The stuff of legend right here. Verlon's awesome lyrical wizardry with Pat's spoken delivery combine perfectly to make a very powerful piece. Very moving.  8)

Thanks Skub for your kind words its been a real pleasure to record Verlon's lyrics.

a few too many verses...too many words that diluted the message in those two lines so it ended up like a sermon instead of a song :)

I too think it kind of turned into a "sermon" instead of a song.  I think that is the strength of what Pat has done.  I like the "sermonesque" quality he brought to it. 

It's too long for a lyric.... so Pat made it a poem/sermon.  Perfect in my mind. 

I can't believe how much I (and many others now who I've had listen) like this.

I think part of why I like this so much (done this way) is that I just can't quite believe it can work this well as spoken word poetry.  But (to my ears) if DOES.  I'm amazed, grateful, and a little baffled that it could turn out this well.

For me Verlon it was not just the way you use words in your lyrics but also where you place them that made it very easy for my vocals to get into, like at the start.

"When I was young I would walk down to
the church on the corner
And listen quite intently to all that they told me"

And everything else that follow was the same, but also it was what i was seeing in your lyrics that my vocals wanted to get into as well so the words "method acting" comes to mind if that makes any sense, for vocals anyway.

Again fantastic lyrics Verlon, Thank you.