Better Man - By Adam Harkus

• 14 Replies

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« on: August 08, 2016, 09:53:53 PM »
After the Bare bone comp, something a bit more 'guitary'

Would really appreciate some feedback on it.

https://adamharkusblog.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/better-man/
The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »
this is realy fabulous adam ...i saw how long it was & thought omg thats enuff for 3 songs!!
but youd realy thought this song out & it was always developing & building & it was definitely worth staying for the big scene at the end...in fact i could tell by the 2 mins mark I was going to love it ….such super guitar parts & vocal harmonies & every thing else
hey that is some fabulously fab guitar at 5.30!.. real all along the watchtower stuff!
negatives : well I can tell youre not a drummer I think I only heard one drum fill & I was surprised bcos youve obviously spent a lot of time on this
anyway its brilliant :)

I see youve already had some comments on this on soundcloud .. I dont like soundcloud but I love the fact that you can make up names like nestor diomedi & leave yourself fab comments ...that is so cool  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2016, 11:20:37 PM »
Took me into two sites man wheres your lyrics.

Song okay.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:28:35 PM »
"calling unto me"...maybe consider "calling out to me" ?? Didn't catch all the lyrics. Would love to have a copy in your post.

Production not my area, but it sounded good to me.

Vicki ;D

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 08:20:21 AM »
Great clean sound Adam. Some really nice guitar sounds going on. The vocals are fab as is the production.

Loving the guitar solo as well

Very impressive

John

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 09:28:43 AM »
Lovely sound. Very nicely recorded, played, and sang. Harmonies are very nice, and melody is good. Lead guitar is great, especially from 4:20 onwards where the playing has a bit more emotionally impact than earlier in the song.

But afraid to say it doesn't grab me. That said, my opinion is probably worth very little, as I rarely (never) listen to this type of thing. It sounds so professional that it's no doubt right up there with the best of this rock genre. I just can't help but think it needs a little something to help it rise above the competition, as I'm sure there's massive competition in this style. On reflection, it may be down to that emotional thing - like the guitar, maybe the vocals need to dig in and show some pain? I don't know. I'm waffling because I recognise this is great and am feeling guilty that it leaves me un-moved. But then if you saw the list of artists that I like and listen to you probably wouldn't be worried by my comments anyway - you're on the mainline and I'm chugging along a little preserved steam railway somewhere  ;)

It's great to have you here, by the way!

Cheers
Derek

« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 09:30:35 AM by delb0y »
West Country Country Boy

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:47 AM »
Lyrics...

A new horizon is falling away to the sea
A new direction is calling it's name unto me
But who knows where it will take us to in the end
What's new? It's all been left to chance

I knew somewhere, all of the roads would end
Take my hand
I'd do it all again
Look to the highway
Soon you'll be home again
The times with you made me a better man

The past is fading and all that remains is with you
The same old story unfolds like the way it should do
No love, no faith, throwing everything away
And soon we'll all be made to pay

Fall out of line
Lose your way up
Your out of time
Losing your mind
Needing your luck to change this time

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:50 AM »
this is realy fabulous adam ...i saw how long it was & thought omg thats enuff for 3 songs!!
but youd realy thought this song out & it was always developing & building & it was definitely worth staying for the big scene at the end...in fact i could tell by the 2 mins mark I was going to love it ….such super guitar parts & vocal harmonies & every thing else
hey that is some fabulously fab guitar at 5.30!.. real all along the watchtower stuff!
negatives : well I can tell youre not a drummer I think I only heard one drum fill & I was surprised bcos youve obviously spent a lot of time on this
anyway its brilliant :)

I see youve already had some comments on this on soundcloud .. I dont like soundcloud but I love the fact that you can make up names like nestor diomedi & leave yourself fab comments ...that is so cool  ;D

Thanks Tina, If I remember right I was so exhausted I just couldn't bring myself work on the drums more, I need to work on that laziness :)

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 10:02:22 AM »
Great clean sound Adam. Some really nice guitar sounds going on. The vocals are fab as is the production.

Loving the guitar solo as well

Very impressive

John

Thanks very much John

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 10:07:06 AM »
Lovely sound. Very nicely recorded, played, and sang. Harmonies are very nice, and melody is good. Lead guitar is great, especially from 4:20 onwards where the playing has a bit more emotionally impact than earlier in the song.

But afraid to say it doesn't grab me. That said, my opinion is probably worth very little, as I rarely (never) listen to this type of thing. It sounds so professional that it's no doubt right up there with the best of this rock genre. I just can't help but think it needs a little something to help it rise above the competition, as I'm sure there's massive competition in this style. On reflection, it may be down to that emotional thing - like the guitar, maybe the vocals need to dig in and show some pain? I don't know. I'm waffling because I recognise this is great and am feeling guilty that it leaves me un-moved. But then if you saw the list of artists that I like and listen to you probably wouldn't be worried by my comments anyway - you're on the mainline and I'm chugging along a little preserved steam railway somewhere  ;)

It's great to have you here, by the way!

Cheers
Derek

Really constructive feedback Derek, thank you. In hindsight I completely agree with you as it does rather chug along, but in my situation (as I write and produce alone) I don't get that kind of valuable insight until after the song is finished....

Maybe i should post to works in progress on here for the next one? Now that's an idea :)

PTCruiser1801

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 12:32:46 PM »
Adam,

Fantastic song that I really enjoyed listening to!

Loved the guitars and harmonies in particular...I think they really stood out!

It was a nice background song while I was doing some college work...and I mean that in the best possible way!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 03:07:37 PM »
Cool 'don't fear the reaper' riff at the beginning. Best guitar riff of all time from the BOC,imo.  :)

The guitar fills from around 1.56 to into the 2 minute mark are sweet but they need hauled back in the mix,or the vocals lifted a little. The effect is lost when the guitar swamps the vox.

Love the melody lines,the harmony vox and guitar,very Wishbone Ash in places,I love me some Wishbone. :)

The song continually builds nicely to the ending and wears it's not inconsiderable 5.29 with deceptive grace.

Much enjoyed adam,aside from tweaks to the mix and the lacklustre drums,it's a very polished piece. 8)

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:17:20 PM »
Nice production, very good vocal and instrumental work.  Strikes me as a bit generic, something that would play well as low level elevator music.  Nothing really reaches out and grabs me.  It is quite good for what it is, but not something I'd listen to more than a time or two.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 11:40:16 PM »
Lyrics...

A new horizon is falling away to the sea
A new direction is calling it's name unto me
But who knows where it will take us to in the end
What's new? It's all been left to chance

I knew somewhere, all of the roads would end
Take my hand
I'd do it all again
Look to the highway
Soon you'll be home again
The times with you made me a better man

The past is fading and all that remains is with you
The same old story unfolds like the way it should do
No love, no faith, throwing everything away
And soon we'll all be made to pay

Fall out of line
Lose your way up
Your out of time
Losing your mind
Needing your luck to change this time

Thanks, you really got a great song and guitar style but i was thinking your lyric line "Look to the highway" i was thinking "Look to the highway the back streets"  with your song and guitar style you could stretch that into and maybe more.

Nice one

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Hi Adam, good singing and guitar playing. Not really the type of thing I would listen to as it starts promisingly with those nice ringing arpeggios(reminiscent of a c type tuning that Placebo have used quite a bit), but then it veers into country rock type stuff and loses me. The harmony guitar playing and solo at the end were very nice and it was all recorded and arranged very well too.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie