Skincrawl, contains explicit language

• 8 Replies

polite_THINGS

• Busker
    • Polite Things Youtube Channel
« on: July 22, 2016, 03:13:27 AM »
Good evening,
Im well aware of my gross forum misconduct. im sure you know that users are unable to delete their own topics, and that is the reason for that glaring forum topic down below this one. Id like to beg for your forgiveness formally now so we can move on.

This, is actually a basically finished song. As in i dont feel like i need to add anything, just a tweak here and there. But that is why we come here isnt it?
Firstly, it is my intention to be brief on songs where i feel the lyrics speak for themselves enough. I dont want to beat a dead horse with chorus after chorus.
Secondly, i mostly write my lyrics in a sort of loose form of def poetry, only not def poetry at all. Because im singing and theres supposed to be music. So that tends to drive my lyrics structurally. Anyway, im carrying on.

Here ya go,
Skincrawl

Because im over here
They want me over there
They put me in a box
Because theyre f**king scared
And then they take your head
Fill it up with shame
But when the devil whispers in my ear
He tells me not to be afraid

(theres a music break here)

The traps have all been set
Infested in your life
They say you need a job
They say you need a wife
Who treats you like a slob
And tells you what you like
You have another kid
You trade away your life

Yeah, cuz everybody does that
Yeah, cuz thats what people do
Pay the tax and cut your grass
Kissing other peoples ass
Cuz you need to

(another music break goes here)

People walk around with their
Heads stuffed inside of a bucket.
People dont look when they
Change lanes driving a car.
(i do feel like this needs more but it might work without.)

the biggest cartoon is reality

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 04:55:21 AM »
Firs things first. 

I really liked "Skincrawl" as a lyric fragment.  Was really wondering how you would tie it together.

I really like how you pulled it together.  Makes a really good (and complete) statement in my opinion. 

Regarding your "offense".   We all noticed, but no one said anything because you obviously had no bad intentions, and it wasn't hurting anything. 

The moniters could obviously tell that you weren't trying to "get away with anything" and so were the rest of us. 

You have been clearly respectful of the goals and intent of the forum, and I would be surprised if anyone held the "offense" against you. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 03:51:17 PM »
As hardtwistmusic said, I think this could be considered complete, but I do understand your thinking when you wonder if the final verse could use more. And, if I were writing it I would probably spend more time looking for ideas before I decided it was done.

I'm not certain exactly what you are after with the last verse, but I can see the rhythms and rhyme scheme don't match the other verses. If consistency in those areas is desirable, an idea for that verse might be:

People walk around with their
Their heads stuffed inside of a bucket a pail.
People dont look when they They never turn to look
Change lanes driving a car. When they're driving down the road.

This doesn't say exactly what you were saying, but it gives you an idea of other possibilities. And if you wanted to keep the same rhyme scheme as the other verses, you would need a word to rhyme with pail (in this example), like "trail" instead of "road", but again that gets the meaning and feel of the verse further from what you have now.

I think there is always a way to say what you want while staying true to your structure and format, but sometimes it can take awhile. These forums are a great place to get feedback and ideas. :)

Vicki

polite_THINGS

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »
Thank you both for your feedback, having the opportunity to share these things with people and having them voice their opinions is a valuable resource to me. Otherwise it would just be me wondering to myself about things.

The change in rhyme scheme is on purpose. I have taken a page from queens notebook specifically, that in this song i want the music to change and not come back to where it was. To me that makes the song feel like a journey, which lyrically is part of the message of all my songs. A journey to explore and better understand my own feelings and views on life and the world.

Putting this up now though helps me see that it does need more in some places, but i wont be removing anything.
But anyway, thanks for reading!  :D

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:55:12 AM »
Hi,
    i really like what you've wrote it definitely appeals to me,
i'll give you a tip,absolutely make sure you're lyrics are spot on
before you post,i've posted lyrics and then thought they were crap,
and they were.
I'm not knocking what you're writing,for what it's worth you're
writing the kind of lyrics i love,
                                           regards,Tom.

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 05:35:37 PM »
I felt i was a bit patronising in my last post,
sorry about that,
                        Tom.

polite_THINGS

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 01:53:38 PM »
No not at all, youre right. I dont want to be told its good merely for the sake of being nice. Constructive criticism makes us all better.
Thank you for posting!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 06:15:07 PM »
I'm going to politely disagree with the concept of "making sure lyrics are 'spot on' before posting." 

I (and others I know) often post flawed lyrics with the idea of removing the flaws WITH feedback instead of without other viewpoints and feedback. 

Heck, I often post a lyric that I know is dead-ended because I always get good, positive advice on how I can fix it. . . then I literally re-build the (formerly dead-ended) lyric right here on the forum. 

It's been a very constructive way to make a bad lyric better for me.  Other perspectives have always done wonders for lyrics that I could tell weren't really good and needed to get better. 

I've found that to be one of the most helpful aspects of this forum. 

So Tom, I respectfully disagree. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

tomcrocus

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:49:50 AM »
I totally agree with you Verlon,
who am i to tell someone to make sure their lyrics are
spot on before posting,that's why i felt i was being patronising.

Iv'e posted flawed lyrics in the past and i'm sure i'll post flawed
lyrics in the future.
You're right,it's better to post flawed lyrics and then receive
constructive feedback,i think that's what it's all about,
                                                                          Tom.