Bare Bones Entry: The Front Page

• 22 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 08:20:52 PM »
I'll get my one tiny nit out of the way first...and keep in mind, I'm unusually picky about certain kinds of details that aren't always important to others, so--of course--feel free to decide this doesn't apply to you.

The nit: the word "newspaper" is not sung with stressed syllables as it would be spoken. I (that's me, personally) think it's important to find a way to make the lyric work without giving words unnatural stresses unless it's used for a specific effect.

Other than that teensy detail, I like this a lot. It's another song I would love to add to my personal play list when I go out playing somewhere. It has a very nice catchy rhythm and melody that makes me want to tap my foot and sing along. And I am quite partial to the message of the lyric, as well.

I hope you do well in the competition. This is a very worthy piece. And, I may have said this before, but I really need to get guitar lessons from you.... ;)

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »
This one really swings along. Great rhythm and vocals. Lovely blues and great live performance  :)

John

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:55:26 AM »
The nit: the word "newspaper" is not sung with stressed syllables as it would be spoken.

As in a previous post, I still disagree with this thinking.  It is my belief that such a rule stands in the way of lyrical and melodic exploration.  But I do understand that we all approach writing in our own unique way, so speak on! and thank you for the positive comments!  Guitar lessons?!?  I should have done that myself 45 years ago!

Thank you for the love people!  Much appreciated!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 02:59:49 PM »
Lord have mercy! :)
Cool rocker - great guitar sound and authoritative vocals.
I can see Elvis doing this one with some raunchy guitars, even horns behind him. No nits from me - good stuff and good luck!

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 03:21:16 PM »
The nit: the word "newspaper" is not sung with stressed syllables as it would be spoken.

As in a previous post, I still disagree with this thinking.  It is my belief that such a rule stands in the way of lyrical and melodic exploration.

Actually, I do agree with you to a point. I believe the rules should be understood and, when I break one, it should be on purpose to achieve a particular goal, not because I was having trouble figuring out something better.

I have no finesse, and I seldom understand anything symbolic or cryptic, so I am likely to complain about every rule broken by others, even when done with specific purpose and fully intentionally, so don't mind me too much.

The bottom line is, I do like this song a lot. :) It's one of my favorites.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 09:42:37 AM »
Nice track, with a great swing to it.

Your guitar playing is steady and satisfying and vocal delivery very strong.

Really liked it.

Tom.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 03:52:52 PM »
I'm hearing Sweet home Alabama....very derivative song, had to pass on it after 1 minute mate...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Oldbutyet

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:13 PM »
Good song but i thought some lyric lines didnt flow as well as they could have, just a matter of taken out some words i think but yeah good song.