konalavadome

Not That Kind Of Man (Full Production)

• 14 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« on: July 16, 2016, 03:39:18 AM »
Hi Everyone....here is something a bit more filled out. I hope you like it. All comments welcome, while first impressions and thoughts encouraged.
Thanks!  :)-Tom

"Not That Kind Of Man"
by Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10850743

I
I heard my little girl crying late last night
And I would be lying if I said I thought her boyfriend was Mr. Right
I thought to tell her, “Just get him out of your head!”
But, I asked my daughter this instead…

…How many miles would he walk with you,
If the going gets tough?
Would he run from a little rain,
If the weather gets rough?
Would he offer you his coat for comfort,
If the night starts to get cold?

How many ways will he tell you the same things
That you need to hear?
And how many ways will he tell you that he loves you,
‘till you finally understand?
Well, I can tell you little princess
He’s not that kind of man

II
I heard my baby crying late last night
And I would be lying if I said it didn’t make me want to fight
I felt the heat rise up around my head
But I kept my cool and asked instead…

…Would it break his back to make a living,
To be a family man?
Could he climb back in the saddle,
Not knowing if he can?
Is he the man that will buck the bronco
Or, just a rodeo-ing clown?

How many ways will he tell you the same things
That you need to hear?
And how many ways will he tell you that he loves you
Over and over again?
Well, I can tell you little princess
He’s not that kind of man
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 05:29:21 PM »
Great country song,

Great lyrics .....I'm sure that you make a great father.

Your voice, really complements the excellent guitar playing.

Well done

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 06:51:05 PM »
Very John Cougar Mellencamp,which is no bad thing in my old book.  8)

It's easy to pigeonhole this as 'country',but there is a whole other rootsy undercurrent here too.

Good work Tom.  :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:27:42 PM »
Great country song,

Great lyrics .....I'm sure that you make a great father.

Your voice, really complements the excellent guitar playing.

Well done

Sandeep

Thanks......it's always nice to hear that my songs are appreciated  ;D

Very John Cougar Mellencamp, which is no bad thing in my old book.  8)

It's easy to pigeonhole this as 'country', but there is a whole other rootsy undercurrent here too.

Good work Tom.  :)
Thanks for noticing.....it's country; but, with more modern pop rock and folk mixed in  :D
Thanks, again, Skub

Thanks all......
                               -T
                                                          -IronKnee

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »
This is great songwriting at work! A unique and very interesting structure, and great storytelling without preaching, but still clear and concise.

Thankfully my daughters are not yet in that age... ;-)

I also liked the production on this a lot. It is still simple and folksy, but at the same time very nicely filled out and musical.

Really great stuff, definitely a keeper.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:37:39 AM »
This is great songwriting at work! A unique and very interesting structure, and great storytelling without preaching, but still clear and concise.

Thankfully my daughters are not yet in that age... ;-)

I also liked the production on this a lot. It is still simple and folksy, but at the same time very nicely filled out and musical.

Really great stuff, definitely a keeper.

Bye Wolfi

Hey, thanks, Wolfini!
The writing of this just might be my personal favorite.  I can't expect anyone else to care for it, like I do....but, I sure am happy when they do.
Thank you very much!
                                            ;D -Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »
Hey Tom, great song. Reminds me a little of Dylan singing to his daughter when he meets her first boyfriend. Thanks for the parenting tips anyway. I´d probably just make him spaghetti bolognese for tea so he drops it all down his Metallica t-shirt, then punch the git.

Great delivery though, as always your songs are well-crafted and easy on the ear - you really need a soundcloud account so I can add you to my playlist.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 04:04:15 AM »
Hey Tom, great song. Reminds me a little of Dylan singing to his daughter when he meets her first boyfriend. Thanks for the parenting tips anyway. I´d probably just make him spaghetti bolognese for tea so he drops it all down his Metallica t-shirt, then punch the git.

Great delivery though, as always your songs are well-crafted and easy on the ear - you really need a soundcloud account so I can add you to my playlist.

Thank you, MartyN Rich.......Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
By the way.....I think the way you propose to handle the situation is perfectly fine  ;)

8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 12:08:16 PM »
Tom,
Not sure how old you daughter is, mine's 22, but get the heartfelt paternal sentiment.
Nice soundscape with the two guitars and percussion. I particularly like the electric, very 70's feel to that.
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:31 AM »
Hiya Tom,

Another lovely song mate! Great lyrics and playing,the arrangement is also very nice.The song sounds/feels like it's been around forever which is a compliment. ;D

To my tastes I would have preferred the lead vocal and the drums straight up the middle,it doesn't sound bad where you have them man but it's just different to most songs that I listen to. (maybe that's the point!  ;D)
I also found the bass drum a little distracting in the second verse on my headphones it was a bit too boomy...it settles by the end though mate.

So there you have it,a very enjoyable couple of listens and it's always great when you can walk away from a song you've written and know that you actually said everything you wanted to say exactly how you wanted to say it.So congrats on that mate!

Cheers
Leo  ;D

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 03:00:56 PM »
A proper country song and top one too! Really great lyric as it needs to be for a country song. The line "How many ways will he tell you the same things, That you need to hear?" does that thing of saying so much in and indirect way. Really clever lyric.

I'd have to argue this is not a full production but the arrangement is very nice and your voice is great with a touch of gravel that makes the father role convincing.

I really like country and this is no exception :)

Tom.

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:44 AM »
Tom,
Not sure how old you daughter is, mine's 22, but get the heartfelt paternal sentiment.
Nice soundscape with the two guitars and percussion. I particularly like the electric, very 70's feel to that.
 :)
neil

Hey thanks Neil.....I'm real happy with that electric guitar, myself.....I found it shocking that soooo many thought it a distraction :o   ???
Thanks for seconding the notion for its merit 8)   And thanks for listening!

Hiya Tom,

Another lovely song mate! Great lyrics and playing, the arrangement is also very nice. The song sounds/feels like it's been around forever which is a compliment. ;D

To my tastes I would have preferred the lead vocal and the drums straight up the middle, it doesn't sound bad where you have them man but it's just different to most songs that I listen to. (maybe that's the point!  ;D)
I also found the bass drum a little distracting in the second verse on my headphones it was a bit too boomy...it settles by the end though mate.

So there you have it, a very enjoyable couple of listens and it's always great when you can walk away from a song you've written and know that you actually said everything you wanted to say exactly how you wanted to say it. So congrats on that mate!

Cheers
Leo  ;D

Hi Leo.....thanks for listening and commenting  ;D
First off, That song has been around forever......this is a remake of a song that I wrote  ;) when I was about 19 years old....same basic music, but different lyrics  8)

And the panning is just something I like to experiment with. However clumsy the attempt, it's my way of emulating one of the things that I loved so much about the Beatles.

And the drum really isn't anything more than me playing bongo on my guitar top (with my fingers)  :o  :P
There you have it.....all my magical secrets  ::)
Thanks soooo much for all your encouragement, Leo.....it means a lot!

A proper country song and top one too! Really great lyric as it needs to be for a country song. The line "How many ways will he tell you the same things, That you need to hear?" does that thing of saying so much in and indirect way. Really clever lyric.

I'd have to argue this is not a full production but the arrangement is very nice and your voice is great with a touch of gravel that makes the father role convincing.

I really like country and this is no exception :)

Tom.
Hi Tom....it's always nice to hear from you!
And thanks for noticing the one attempt towards coming up with an original line in this song (something that I am very aware is hard to do  :P )
And for me, this is about as Full as it gets.......I'm just not equipped (mentally) to make those great recording, like so many on this site (you, very much included). Those great recordings are a marvel, and beyond my threshold with patience.

And thanks for the vox kudos.....I need to hear that more often  ;D

And thanks to everyone!
                                                   8)-Tom
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 07:43:16 AM by IronKnee »
                                                          -IronKnee

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2016, 08:44:13 PM »
Hi Tom,

Excellent write.
I agree it does have a pop rock feel. Actually made me think of some of the hair metal/late 80s glam rock ballads like Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn, and it's ilk. Which is fine by me because I loved that time.
Great vocal. Guitars sounded great.
Loved the lyrics. Any dad with a daughter would share those sentiments.

Cool stuff.

Digger

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2016, 09:49:44 PM »
you are a craftsman when it comes to writing songs tom ...this has your hallmarks of great lyrics telling a fab story & oodles of melody ...every one of yours is a winner
here you sound exactly like my dad ! ;D
the only thing i didnt like was that electric guitar... sorry but it was a little too trebly & a bit painful
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2016, 06:34:46 AM »
Hi Tom,

Excellent write.
I agree it does have a pop rock feel. Actually made me think of some of the hair metal/late 80s glam rock ballads like Poison - Every Rose Has Its Thorn, and it's ilk. Which is fine by me because I loved that time.
Great vocal. Guitars sounded great.
Loved the lyrics. Any dad with a daughter would share those sentiments.

Cool stuff.

Digger

Thanks Digger for listening and commenting. I really appreciate it  ;D

you are a craftsman when it comes to writing songs tom ...this has your hallmarks of great lyrics telling a fab story & oodles of melody ...every one of yours is a winner
here you sound exactly like my dad ! ;D
the only thing i didnt like was that electric guitar... sorry but it was a little too trebly & a bit painful

Hi Tina.....sounding like your Dad sounds great to me (you do get along with him, right?  ;))

I just don't know why you don't like the electric guitar ??? It seems that only Neil and myself are the only ones who like it :'( I wish I could somehow get it right with conveying the idea to others. I can't imagine this song without those parts........... ???

But, anyways.... I thank you for your most generous comments on the song itself.....it means a lot.

GREAT avitar, by the way!

And thanks to all!
                                                   8)-Tom
                                                          -IronKnee