How long does it take you to write a song?

• 17 Replies

JolieThePassenger

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
In my teens and 20's, half an hour.  Now, much longer, but that's because my standards are higher.

I agree in general though, anywhere between 20 minutes and a decade on average.   ;)

I'm a writer by trade, and I find that's true of all writing though...
I don't roll on Shabbos

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
A decade feels quite short to me. The last song I posted here, Song for the Brave wasn't really finished until a few weeks ago. I started it in 1987. Sometimes you just have to let a song mature a little and sometimes it takes a while to find just the right word or two.
West Country Country Boy

Tracey Cracknell

• Busker
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 09:16:26 PM »
It really varies, sometimes they flow out in a continuous stream in a couple of minutes, then I sit down with the words and a guitar and allow the melody to develop, and put chords to it (I'm not good at bar chords so they tend to be fairly simple chords) Sometimes though, like with my first song, I wrote it as almost a 12bar blues, then about two years later I started learning bass and the bass line I came up with was begging to be with those words, then a friend suggested a couple of chords, and there it was, my first presentable song !
Usually it's a fairly quick process though, strike while the iron's hot, and I don't try to write them if I'm really not feeling it, it just doesn't work