konalavadome

I think the biggest mistake new songwriters make is ...

• 51 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
Mikek - have to agree with that - it may depend on the genre but I just can't settle for saying lyrics don't matter. At the risk of contradicting myself though, for the first song or two you really need to get them done and complete and get the felling of creating something, so too much perfectionism and complexity at that stage can be a hindrance. After that, though, keep rewriting until it's the best it can be!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »
After that, though, keep rewriting until it's the best it can be!

I completely agree and it really is the best of both worlds where you can be "creative and write from the heart" to get the song written/finished

I think one of the biggest mistakes new songwriters make is stopping there - in the thought that any tweaking will "undo" the creativity

I strongly believe that if at this point you concentrate on "re-writing" and refining the song using tried and tested "songcraft" techniques you will get a creative/emotional song from the heart that has been refined to be the best it can be
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Oldbutyet

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
"I think the biggest mistake new songwriters make is" as you can see we all have many thoughts on this here's another one of mine, great question btw

We all have different reasons why we write lyrics/songs we all have different reasons why we put or not put our work out there "mistake that we make" can be our greatest teachers and friends in what happens next but only when we remember and understand for whatever reason that may be.

"I think the biggest mistake new songwriters make is" post and we'll do our best to tell you, in our own way, memories and understanding hopefully included.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
not believing in themselves.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 08:16:11 AM »
Wicked, wise words.
Ps I believe in you :-)
songwriter of no repute..

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 08:46:44 PM »
Hey Neil, good to hear from you buddy. I've heard one or two new writers say that they can't write or that's they are 'no good'.  when I first started to write 36 years ago, I could barely play a musical instrument but I had a strong belief that's I was going to write something extraordinary.  I think that as a young person, that's kind of self-belief can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Equally, a negative outcome can be achieved through a lack of self belief.  Essentially, new writers might do well to think they are a unique individual who will therefore bring a different perspective to the table.  John Lennon once said that he believed he was in the best band in Liverpool, then England, then the world. He went on to say that believing that is what made The Beatles the band that they became.  Don't get tangled up with arrogance, simply believe in yourself, learn your trade and hopefully write something extraordinary.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 08:50:03 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
I am quite new to this site and to recording my music.

The biggest mistake I made was to not share my music with others. Criticism is so important. Playing for myself and myself only for many years has definitely skewed my perception of my songs and stifled the process of writing.

Having feedback really helps with developing an idea into something more and it helps in finding a direction to go in.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:53:44 PM by Darren1664 »