konalavadome

I think the biggest mistake new songwriters make is ...

• 51 Replies

Hooded Singer

• Open Mic
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:22:47 PM »
Rhyming every line.

This can potentially makes songs sound cheesy or contrived.

It's a very typical thing to do because when coming up with the next line it's instinctive to pick a rhyme to flow on.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:23:24 PM »
I kinda like over doing the rhyming. If you do it such that it doesn't seem forced it can sound great. But easy to get wrong as well.

I think the biggest mistake new songwriters make is getting stuck on a particular tune. Thinking it's their best and spending too much time recording and promoting it perhaps.
You need to just keep writing and always believe the next song is gonna be your best ever!

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:24:05 PM »
The most common beginner mistake I see is people filling a whole song with one single idea, essentially repeating themselves but using different words. E.g. I'm all alone // and so lonely // by myself // no-one to hold me
etc

This is particularly hard to stomach when the song can be boiled down to 'poor me' - there's nothing worse than 3-5 minutes of self-indulgent relentless whining.

2nd most common mistake is thinking your song that makes mistake #1 is really great.

HOWEVER, we were all beginner songwriters once, and we all wrote cruddy songs. So I'm not having a go, just saying what I see.

Newbies: write lots of songs. Be prepared for most of them to be a bit rubbish. Keep at it and they'll get better. Have fun kids :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Oldbutyet

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »
"Rhyming every line"

Doesn't happen in a feel flow of thoughts but only when you read back.

"This can potentially makes songs sound cheesy or contrived"

cheesy potentially contrived, did you ever eat a breakfast roll.

"It's a very typical thing to do because when coming up with the next line it's instinctive to pick a rhyme to flow on"

Warm welcome to the journey Hooded Singer  8)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
Trying to be orginal is another one. That only comes after a lot of practice. Keep it simple, write lyrics from the heart and just try to knock them out one after another. Practice makes perfect. Also, give them to others to listen to and not just your family or friends who will say ´um, yeah, that´s alright that is´.

Also use one rule - try to bring in something different in each verse or chorus - some slight melody change, an added 7th chord instead of the normal major/minor or a one-line harmony. It helps to practice variety.

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:21:20 AM »
Also use one rule - try to bring in something different in each verse or chorus
What a cracking little nugget Martyn. Will definitely use in future!

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:11:49 AM »
Settling.  Settling for "that'll do" phrases and lines.  Believing that one or two pretty good lines will carry a lyric.......not!  Every line, every word! is a link in the chain of a quality lyric.  Accept no substitutes! 

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 04:29:22 PM »
I vote for that one--"settling". Especially with the lyrics, but also with the melody.

For lyrics, use a rhyming dictionary and a thesaurus and find more interesting and/or more suitable words. If it doesn't feel right, if you get stuck, set it aside and sleep on it. Then try again. Post the lyric in Lyrics and point out the spot or spots troubling you and ask for suggestions.

For melodies, try inverting an interval or reversing all the intervals of a phrase, raising or lowering a motif a third, adding melisma, using repetition. Take a phrase from a song you know and turn it upside down and/or change the rhythms. There are so many ways to mess with melody.

Vicki

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Overconfidence.....

I believe it's important to critically analyse your work and put the listener first.

Songwriters sometimes fall into the trap of believing their work is 'perfect' simply because it's there own, they'll reject any criticism on the grounds of 'taste'.

These days, I'm my own worst enemy, my harshest critic. As much as I can, I try and put the listener first.

The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 05:14:37 PM »
These days, I'm my own worst enemy, my harshest critic. As much as I can, I try and put the listener first.

I both agree and heartily disagree! :D

Overconfidence is a curse in any creative endeavour. Being able to see where your song could be improved is crucial to the development of your craft, and spending time exploring how that could happen is a key part of the process.

HOWEVER, I don't always agree that putting the listener first is the way to produce your best work. Maybe it depends on your songwriting goals, but putting the listener first sounds like a recipe for avoiding risk, and taking risks is important if you want to avoid treading the same ground time and time again.

Interesting thread this :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
put the listener first.
Hi Adam - not trying to pile on here, but one of the biggest mistakes is to "put the listener first". I say write songs like no-one is going to listen to them (sort of like the expression "dance like there is no-one looking") That way you free yourself of the fear of your songs not being liked. Or maybe I'm just over-confident :) :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Maybe you put the listener first if you want to sell the song (not a bad thing) but maybe not if you want to express yourself (definitely a good thing). It is up to you but I find my best stuff comes when I want to express myself and the songs that have been best received on this forum have been those. If you work hard at doing this and perfecting this (and of course being self-critical), then hopefully the listeners will take care of themselves. If they don´t you´re still getting your art out of your system, which at least stops you going completely bonkers.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »
I don't think in terms of songwriters making mistakes.

This only matters if you are presenting your music as a saleable product.

I can't be the only one who enjoys making music for the simple joy of creating.

There are no rules if you don't play the game.

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »
put the listener first.
Hi Adam - not trying to pile on here, but one of the biggest mistakes is to "put the listener first". I say write songs like no-one is going to listen to them (sort of like the expression "dance like there is no-one looking") That way you free yourself of the fear of your songs not being liked. Or maybe I'm just over-confident :) :)

I'll rephrase it in that case.....

We should always at least "consider" the listener. I'm all for self expression and wouldn't put anything out I wasn't happy with,  but without some critical analysis we'd never improve.
The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2016, 08:27:19 PM »
put the listener first.

I'll rephrase it in that case.....

We should always at least "consider" the listener. I'm all for self expression and wouldn't put anything out I wasn't happy with,  but without some critical analysis we'd never improve.
haha - good point. I probably consider the listener a lot more than I'm willing to admit :) Welcome, BTW!