konalavadome

PARALLEL UNIVERSE - Bare Bones Competition Entry.

• 25 Replies

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 09:34:30 PM »
what have you done to that guitar ? it sounds like its locked in a room & its trying to break out...its a crazy sound & I like it
your angelic sort of voice reminded me of someone from the 80s ...flux of seagulls ? ;D
I wasnt sure the word 'parallel' fitted right...it had too many syllables? two syllables would have been better.. what about 'mister'? ;D sorry I do joke  a bit
anyway I liked it ...it was realy different
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 07:50:27 AM »
Very different to all the other Bare Bones entries I've listened to so far - which is good. Love the guitar sound, but to me the whole thing feels like it needs a big arrangement rather than a stripped down one. Like the eighties feel to it all. There's a haunting quality to the whole thing which I like and which bears repeated listening. Looking forward to more of the same - but without the restriction of the bare bones comp.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »
Hi,

The parallel universe sounds vast!  And I like the way you inhabit it!....Beautiful vocals with an urgency that captivates....Reminds me of "Choir of Young Believers"...Well done!

igg

Flux Identity

• Busker
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 11:41:52 PM »
...hope to hear more of your work  ;)

More of my work here: https://fluxidentity.bandcamp.com and here: https://soundcloud.com/flux-identity :D

Are you doing a Brian May type thing by harmonising with the echo on your voice? It is nicely done, intentional or not.

Brian May is a great guitarist and I admire his work, but this effect was a total fluke. I just like reverbs and delays a lot :)

..flux of seagulls ? ;D
I wasnt sure the word 'parallel' fitted right...it had too many syllables? two syllables would have been better.. what about 'mister'? ;D sorry I do joke  a bit
anyway I liked it ...it was realy different

Flock of Seagulls had a great sound. I Ran is  a solid piece of pop :)

what about 'mister'? ;D

IT COULD ALL BE FINE .... IN MISTER UNIVERSE Hahahahaha

Thanks for the feedback by the way :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:47:52 PM by Flux Identity »

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »

strong vocal and guitars splendid ..
almost the hook of the song and the atmosphere
images moving with the delay
slight germanic twang to your vocal gives it an extra edge
kind of foreboding about it, like a warning..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
Dig those ambient guitars! Vocals are also very good but I would personally back off a bit on the delay (maybe 3-4 echoes), matter of taset of course.
For some reason I got some Mew vibes out of this, must have a listen, was ages ago it seems.
Cool as it is I'm lacking a little in variation/dynamics since the song moves on more or less the same all the way.

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2016, 03:24:26 PM »
Nice moody sounding piece with subtle inferences scattered here and there.  Perhaps there is a touch too much 'verb on the voice but not to the point of distraction.

One thing in the lyric glares at me:  the seeming shift of person.  Everything seems to be a bit vague as to perspective early on.....maybe it's from the first person, maybe it's a third looking on.  Until this:

lost in her eyes
haven't felt it for a long time
blood starts to rush
body wants to dance again
hurricane of love
crashes everything on it's course
vision starts to blur
weightlessly he drifts away

This word, haven't shifts everything previous to the first person, but the last line here, weightlessly he drifts away turns it back to the third person.  The shift of perspective is confusing.  Replace haven't with hasn't and it's all back to third person.  I think I'm reading this right.......but maybe not.

Overall a nice, spooky sound that works quite well.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 03:37:56 PM by Buc McMaster »

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:28 PM »
This is a brilliant.....

The guitar really grabbed me. An original, gritty and quite gripping tone. Love it. Like the waves crashing in the background. The first chord is just magic and set it's up perfectly

The ethereal, soft vocals gel perfectly with it, creating, for want of a better description, something fresh and beautiful.

This is one of those songs that grabs you the whole way through, it doesn't need fireworks at the chorus or a middle eight to climb above the parapet. It just works.

... And then it ends abruptly, leaving you wanting to hit the repeat, which I did, three times!

I'm a big fan, and this is my new favourite for the comp. Best of luck to you!

Adam.

The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 09:49:03 PM »
Hi

Cool tune. Counts as a Bare Bones song for me - a bloke and a guitar.

I liked the effects - yes it was wet, but it all blended together nicely and was in keeping with the theme of the song. Reminded me of The Jesus and Mary Chain vibe on Just Like Honey.

Good stuff.

Digger

Flux Identity

• Busker
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2016, 10:58:36 PM »
Replace haven't with hasn't and it's all back to third person.

Thanks for pointing this out Buc. Appreciated. I'll try to fix it.  :)
I would personally back off a bit on the delay (maybe 3-4 echoes)
I've tried. Works well. Default 60% feedback might be a wee bit too much.

Thanks

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 08:51:26 PM »
Not my cup of tea, but I really appreciate the work on the lyric and the production. I have no nits at all. Good luck in the competition!

Vicki