"Bare bones of life" - obviously a competition entry!

• 22 Replies

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 09:28:45 AM »
Thanks a lot everyone for listening and commenting!

Hey there Wolfini....I really like this!! What a great easy listening piece. Nothing to interpret, nothing to read into.....a beautiful simplicity, that most songs (and their writers) have forgotten. The cleverness to this is in its simplicity.
BRAVO!!

Wasn't sure if you are were ironic or not with the chardonnay and the smoked salmon for a while  Depending on who it is coming from those things may seem like the bare (or bear?) necessities. I would have been slightly more direct in pointing the finger. Your take has a laudable subtlety  :)

So, some questions DO remain open ... ;-) I think I was definitely vague on this (on purpose!) and I am happy that was picked up.

Hey Wolfini,it's great to hear a voice that sounds like you and not trying to sound like anyone else.

Thank you... I think? ;-) Though the consensus seems to be that my voice sounds quirky.... Actually I was quite happy with my vocals this time and felt they were one of my best performances so far. Ah well...  ::)

lyricaly this is like 'bare neccessities' from the jungle book film but set in a city not a jungle!
Its very catchy aswell & had a real charm to it..i thought it sounded like buddy holly doing eurovision! :)
I cant believe you didnt include chocolate in your list! How can anyone live without that! are you a monk or something?  ;D
I wasnt sure about the recorder ...i dont think ive ever heard one sound in tune!

You are right of course. I was afraid it is too close to bare necessities, but then it sounds quite differently so I hoped I was safe. Chocolate... hm, yes, if it is dark and bitter count me in! Perhaps I could have tried to tune the recorder a bit, but I felt it suited the song like this.

I loved the rhythm sound tapped out on the guitar body - it really gave the song an organic feel

Great to hear that worked out, since generally I feel rhythmically challenged. ;-)

To me this has 60's coffee shop written all over it - great!
Flower power, mammas and pappas, - are you going to San Francisco?
What a great walk down memory lane!

That's cool and actually what I was going for, since it is also doomed destined to be part of my "Happy Folk" project.

Thanks again to all of you,

Bye Wolfi

Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »
Wolfi,
Direct and catchy especially the bares bones chorus. Neat solo section put a smile on my face. Enjoyed it.
Good luck
 :) neil

songwriter of no repute..

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 04:38:11 PM »
Hey Wolfi, just realised I hadn't commented on this as I was going through the entries. It is excellent, very jaunty (as someone else said) and really well put together. Its a great, fun song to listen to and the lyrics are great...well done!

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:33 AM »
Thanks Neil and Martyn!

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »

Hi

I really liked the singing and the melody.

Flute and lead guitar were playing a little aimless, a little out of tune and rhythm.

still very enjoyable

B

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 02:11:27 AM »
I know from personal experience that those recorders tend to go out of tune. It was a brave move to include it and I think the idea has potential and suits the song. I wonder if pan pipes would be a good alternative? Of course, I don't know anyone who knows how to play them....

I like your interpretation of the "bare bones" theme. The one line that felt it might be a little forced or contrived to fit the mold was: "I want to live a life before I am dead" and I would probably have spent a little more time (if I had it to spare) on that one.

That's really my only nit though. Nice job and good luck in the competition!

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:51 PM »
Hi Wolfi. I've commented on this song before but I have to again as it's one of the most catchy,happy uplifting songs I've heard for a long time. More than two listens you are addicted. My fave lyric is a glass of chardonnay  :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Haha, addictive stuff, chorus really stuck and despite the lack of a rythm section this one grooves. Enjoyed the ambigious lyrics. Overall, great fun!