"The Bare Bones of our Love" - Entry for the Summer BARE BONES competition

• 30 Replies

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 07:56:09 AM »
Well this sounded excellent in the car..loved the feel and the slide guitar..great blues ( I think ) number..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
pretty cool man, that slide guitar man!! play some more kid...
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2016, 07:50:54 AM »
Thank you everyone for listening and commenting. It really is much appreciated. I'm glad you guys like the slide guitar - I don't do a lot of it but I think I'm going to try and work more of it into my playing, especially trying to combine it with the finger-picking. Aside from you learned lot ( ;)) a slide always seems to garner a good reaction from the general punter, too. I often think everyone must have heard slide so much that it's no longer anything special or unusual, but I'm not actually sure that's the case - I still think it can turn heads at gigs. Maybe your average punter doesn't buy too many Bukka White CDs? But then again, I'm sure they must do...
West Country Country Boy

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »
Delboy,

Such a great slidey slinky way of getting to the bare bones......Love the guitar layering.... gives a very tinkly sheen to the whole piece.....Excellent lyrics and great vocal performance....Very fifties retro vibe!

igg

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 03:52:54 AM »

Hi Derek

I enjoy a nice blues piece - doesn't everyone?
Really like the slide guitar and you vocals are great too.
Lyrics work well and very unique with the dead singing!
Would have liked to hear things closer with less reverb just to keep that old-time bluesy sound where they didn't have reverb plug-ins :)

Good stuff - should do well in the comp
Paul

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 10:43:47 PM »
I loved listening to this track DelbOy :) Nothing like good old blues from the point of view of the
dead :o What a great idea!
I think the lyrics are what really stands out for me :) very poetic and very clever :)
The slide guitar is great, and your vocals are as smooth as ever :) Excellent entry  :) :)

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2016, 02:15:29 PM »
Del,

I love acoustic blues like this so this is pushing on an open door. Superb playing and a lovely simple, classic arrangement and instrumental palette. The song is lyrically sophisticated especially for this genre but the melody was workmanlike rather than inspired.

Overall, a belter.

M

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2016, 04:31:53 PM »
I kinda have a problem with listening to blues songs, the lack of musical surprises turns me off often when I know exactly how it will go..........Lyrically you need to do something special to keep the listener interested.

Very well stated and I agree.  The song is well played, well produced......but it's the blues.  Personally got burned out on the blues twenty years ago.  It really does take something special lyrically to work, and while this lyric has some interesting turns of phrase, it doesn't lift it above the genre to my ear.......the blues.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
I am a blues fan, so I enjoyed the treatment. Didn't bore me at all. Neither did the story. I think that was my favorite part and, oh, I so deeply feel your frustration. I despise starting over and, of course, I've had to do so many, many times.   :P ;D

Kind of a morbid interpretation of the theme, but I got a kick out of it. I, too, am in awe of those who can spit out all that production stuff repeatedly and, often, amazingly fast.

I have no nits. Good luck in the competition!

Vicki

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »

lovely feel derek, can still hear the slap even without th drums.
in fine voice too
its all about the groove for me on this , just cooks ..real nice guitar playing sweet ..
lord knows what itd sound like if youd found that button.. 
glad you didnt, reall authentic groove & soullful vocal

have you thought about a cajun drum ? you play rythmic naturally so slappin a cajon would be easy and suit your organic approach..

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Day2Take1

• Busker
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2016, 01:16:15 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyed listening.  Has a great feel and every thing works nicely with each other.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »
Del,
Lovely easy going feel to this with the guitar and slide and harp and all working together as one.
Really like the lyrics, all nice resolved to the title, neat.
Warm vocals as ever.
Grooving acoustic blues.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2016, 06:42:10 AM »
Brilliant song. I love it. Feels like a classic from the first listen. Beautifully performed too in a very easy-sounding, laid back style.

I like the angle. At first I thought this was a break-up song but to find it was a love that survived death was, oddly delightful. (I never read explanations of posted songs before listening).
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2016, 10:08:05 AM »
Absolutely love the lyrics! Not much of a blues man myself by you sure know your way around, great playing and vocals. Song is true to the format for good and bad, a solid write and performance but I'm afraid that it left no lasting impression (except for the lyrics, some very good lines in these) but as I sad, blues is definitely not my thing.

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 10:43:12 AM »
Thanks Jam  :) And thanks to all the other folks who commented since I last thanked people for commenting. It is always appreciated and always noticed.

Cheers
Derek
West Country Country Boy