"The Bare Bones of our Love" - Entry for the Summer BARE BONES competition

• 30 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« on: July 02, 2016, 08:27:55 AM »
Its a bit enlightening looking back over my recent submissions to see where my song-writing naturally settles subject-matter-wise.  :-\ And this one is no different. It was a very frustrating experience until I threw away all the technology and went back to basics. I'll write a bit about the frustrations below. Meanwhile here's my entry for this summer's Bare Bone's comp, a straightforward love song blues written from the perspective of dead people. I hope you like it

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13404480

The Bare Bones of our Love

There was a time when we were young
Touching your skin was like caressing the sun
We’d offer our flesh to the gods up above
But now we’re stripped right down to the bare bones of our love.

There was a time, the angels wept
When I kissed your lips as you slept
But I see vultures, darling, I don’t see turtle doves
They’re circling round the bare bones of our love.

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust
Lower us down and forget about us
But I’ll always remember you and I as one
When all that’s left are the bare bones of our love.

You’re dead and gone. I’m dead and gone.
Deep underground but when it’s all said and done
We’re still together just like we were up above
Everything has crumbled but the bare bones of our love.

There was a you, there was a me
There was an us, and we will always be
Dancing together, somewhere up above
We’ll never lose the bare bones of our love

The frustrations mentioned above...

As you know everything I do is already "bare bones" anyway, so I thought I'd flip things around this time and write a song about bare bones, but with a massive full on production. Very early on I knew it was going to be a blues and I figured on a Stevie Ray Vaughan style Texas blues with loads of over-driven electric guitar solos as I've never had chance to do that here. Alas, I discovered very quickly that I had no idea how to get a drum loop (assuming I could even find one) into my cut down (free) Sonar X1 LE DAW. I'd have had the same problem with bass, too.

No worries, Plan B would work - I have an old copy of Band in a Box from about ten years ago. I loaded it up, and although most tracks sound a bit naff, the Doctor John style was pretty neat. It worked for my blues song, too. It wouldn't be so much Stevie Ray Vaughan as Jimmy Vaughan. But that's not bad. I actually prefer Jimmy, and I adore Doctor John.

I worked up the BIAB file, played and sang along. Yep, that'll work. But then discovered that I couldn't get a WAV file (to import into SONAR) out of BIAB. The VSC add-in that I used to use on my last PC won't work with Windows 10. Loads of surfing the net, failed installations, and trying different things all to no avail.

Sigh.

Then... brain-wave! I can export the midi data. Surely I must be able to import that into SONAR, allocate some sounds and be on my way to the top.

Yes, no and no.

Managed to import the data and I could see it playing in SONAR, but no sounds. The "help" (ha!) files were useless, YouTube videos didn't help, and hours more of my life rolled slowly by. Cut a very long story short I eventually found the little settings box I needed to check, which I duly checked, and lo and behold... sound!

Now we're cooking.

No we're not.

Discovered that although I could find the screen that allowed me to set different instruments to my midi data nothing actually changed. Ah well, the actual settings that SONAR had defaulted too weren't bad - the bass was being played on a piano, but  c'est la vie. I could up the bass in the EQ afterwards and no-one would notice...

So I set about singing and playing and recording on top of the midi track. Man it sounded awesome. The phone went at one point and I was sure it was going to be Michael Eavis talking about a Pyramid slot for 2017. Nope, it was someone selling PPI.

And then I discovered that whenever I played and sang along with my midi tracks the start point of the recording was different to the start point of the midi track(s). It sounded correct as I did it, but it recorded it all wrong - the midi track was about 5 seconds behind the recording.

At this point, days into the project, I just deleted the lot, picked up my acoustic guitar and went back to bare bones. As you'll hear, I did record a whole load of acoustic guitars (about 4, IIRC) just to try and stick vaguely to my original idea of doing the opposite of my normal 1+1. But I must say I have a new found admiration for all you folks who can do all this sampling, midi, looping thing. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm not sure I have the time or inclination to do so. It would be like learning a new instrument, and I'm still trying to master the one I've got.

Hey ho. I hope my post and/or the song haven't bored you!

Derek
West Country Country Boy

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:55:59 AM »
Hi Derek,

Awesome guitar work. So jealous - I'd love to be able to play that style - just too lazy/useless to master slide, etc.
Very good vocal.
The lyrics work well, and fit the comp brief.

A very strong contender .

Digger

The C&D Project

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »
Hi Derek

I love this, the lyrics are great and blues slide guitar is tremendous

The second verse lyrics are great

Cheers

C&D

I Dont Know What It Is God Put In My Hands,
I'll Throw It Away And Start A Rock n Roll Band

https://soundcloud.com/the_candd_project

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 09:05:51 PM »
Haz the feel of Clapton's Unplugged album...sorta Rollin and Tumblin stylee. Love it Derek. This mother grooves along like an unstoppable big diesel train,on rails baby,on rails.  8)

I know very well what you mean about deciding on what way to do a song,it's so easy to have several versions. I'm glad you did this one,it tramps on.

Now..

Where's my walkin shoes..

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:59:29 AM »
Derek

Very clever.....great interpretation of the Bare Bones Comp.

Amazing lyrics, complemented by some excellent Blues guitars.

Sandeep

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 02:47:42 PM »
Hm, may I say that I am glad your full on production did not work out? Because I like this one so much! This is just the perfect music style for the song and lyrics. Love the slide guitar playing!

I agree with the Clapton notion someone mentioned.

That instrumental part at 0:50 is sweeeet!

Really very cool stuff, congrats!

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 04:47:23 PM »
Fab blues track! Nothing much to analyse here except for the great guitar playing, great lyrics, great production and great delivery. Really enjoyed listening to it!

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 07:05:29 PM »
great stuff, Derek...very accomplished playing and lovely vocal delivery of another quality set of lyrics...you're a great writer...the words carry your tunes along so well...

another very worthy contender in a competition that's chock full of great entries...well done  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Niels

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 08:30:40 PM »
A worthy contender indeed.
I love how you play the guitar. It has a carefree and lovely sound which makes it a great sound.
Also the lyrics are just beautiful.
I hope you're proud with your acomplishment :).

Love,
Nielse

Oldbutyet

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
I like this and as always you make that guitar come alive but as a listener i hear maybe a couple of changes, two lines ending with  "We’re still together just like we were up above" maybe  "We’re still together just like we were down below"  and  "Dancing together, somewhere up above" maybe  "Dancing together, somewhere down below"

For me it kind of goes with the bare bones idea of your song also the title of your song maybe, "Down Below (The Bare Bones of our Love)"

Just my thoughts on this as a listener.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
great lyrics derek...i realy liked verses 1 & 2....blues lyrics are not known for being poetic or anything more than basic but yours are the exception
i liked how you described it as a love song for dead people! that is quite original & a clever way to do the bare bones competetition!
i love the slide playing & the fab blues licks but i wanted them  to be a bit louder  ...the finger picked rhythym guitar seemed to dominate them
the melody was nice but maybe a little bit too much like a standard blues melody to make it stand out :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:53:15 AM »
Hey there delb0y........great track, and a wonderful production. Lots to like here, good performances with some fine arrangements.
Some nice writing, too.....buy the way ;)
                                                                         8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
I kinda have a problem with listening to blues songs, the lack of musical surprises turns me off often when I know exactly how it will go. Modern Dylan stuff can often get over that. Lyrically you need to do something special to keep the listener interested.

All that said, I really enjoyed this. You playing prowess is awesome and your voice sounds just great. Loved the gentle harp stabs too.

Production wise I thought it could be improved a few ways. You have everything in at the start and I thought perhaps saving some of the instrumentation till later on would provide more impact.
Also I thought the reverb was a bit heavy and when someone plays as well as you do, you don't need to hide behind reverb...the guitars sound great close up.

Superb stuff!  :)

Tom.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
Really enjoyed it. The lyrics are really clever all through and each verse has a nice twist. Great concept.

The guitar ensemble sounded great together, all pulling one way but with some nice freedom too. The arrangement is great - though I would also love to hear the SRV version...

I would say that for someone who plays and composes seriously and has so many musical ideas a proper DAW is the only way to go. At the end of the day it is about getting things to sound the way you want them so it's worth spending time on getting that control.