konalavadome

Cornfields - Original Song

• 13 Replies

ZoeGrahamMusic

• Busker
  • Songwriter, Performer and lover of creating
    • Facebook Page
« on: July 01, 2016, 12:32:45 PM »
I'm very new to this forum and this is my first post!
I thought I'd share one of my original songs I've been playing for a long time now. It seems to be a song I like to mess about with and I have quite a few versions of it. This is the slower version but I hope to post the faster version sometime in the future.

I'd love some feedback, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to it!

Lyrics:

Did you do it save your mother,
did you so it to save your father,
did you do it because you thought you wouldn't be seen,
Did you do it because you thought you wouldn't be seen,

Did you do it to make some friends,
are you going to keep them in the end,
Or are you going to dump them like you did before,

What is this crazy attitude,
Id prefer if you were not so rude,
to my face or at least behind my back,

Do you know how,
I've been bruised,
my blood wants to leave my body my face cannot face you

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
Enjoyed the performance very much. Very atmospheric.

I found the song itself a little slight for my tastes, not really sure what it was about and only a minimal amount of musical material in there. 
But what you do with it is very effective, and yours voice sounds very strong. Lots of nice depth to the tone of your voice.

Pretty cool and quite modern sounding, with the right production could be a goer.

Please, do review some other peoples work on the forum as that is the best way to ensure you get feedback yourself.

Tom.

ZoeGrahamMusic

• Busker
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:38:31 PM »
Tom,
Thank you so much for the feedback on my song and about how to get more feedback on the forum. As I'm very new to this, it's great to get that advice.

In terms of feedback on the song itself and my performance, that all sounds really cool. I have had both negative and positive opinions of the lyrics, so it's definitely something to look into.

Thank you again
Zoe

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »
Zoe

Love the energy in the song

I think you have a great voice, and love those echoes.

The ending is very strong.....just want to join in.

Echoes of Tori Amos for me.

Like this a lot...keep it up.

Sandeep

ZoeGrahamMusic

• Busker
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Sandeep!
Thank you so much for all the positive comments!
I will research Tori Amos for the future :)

Z

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum Zoe.

I enjoyed your song of youthful angst,only the young can do that with any degree of honesty! I make do with my bitter,cynical and very jaded outlook.  :D
I liked your voice and your delivery.The body of the song itself,though short seems to lend itself well to the repeating mantra and incantation afforded by the use of a looper. The best tool ever for working through ideas and improvising,imo.

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 09:13:52 PM »
I loved your use of the looper & the experimenting & pushing the song to amazing places ...that was realy cool! It was quite hypnotic & mantra like
I think the song wouldve sounded better if the guitar had been louder & clearer... it often wasnt loud enuff to support your voice & the song didnt come across aswell as it couldve i think... which was a shame bcos it sounded realy good
you remind me of john martyn & the incredible string band & pentangle ….& they are all scottish...so I'm thinking you must be aswell! :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

The C&D Project

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:10:11 AM »
Hi zoe

you have a great voice

the ending of the song is really good, your singing and guitar playing remind me a little of laura marling

cheers

C&D
I Dont Know What It Is God Put In My Hands,
I'll Throw It Away And Start A Rock n Roll Band

https://soundcloud.com/the_candd_project

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 01:03:01 PM »
Hi Zoe, Liked the song and the performance. It's an atmospheric piece. The guitar riff is haunting.

Nice work

John

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2016, 02:01:37 AM »
Love your voice, love the guitar. I think I need to get me a looper. But I'll need lessons how to use it.

Couple spots in the lyric didn't sit right for me ("my blood wants to leave my body my face cannot face you" and "to my face or at least behind my back"--the second one I would reverse to "behind my back or at least to my face"), but it may be because I don't get it. For the most part I thought the song was great. Hope to see more of you in the forums.

Vicki

Day2Take1

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 03:46:39 AM »
The guitar playing is stellar.  and the surprise loop station at the end was great.  I almost think you should take the loop part out of the title.  So people get a little surprise.  It was good Ill come back to it again for another listen.

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 10:27:07 AM »
Very cool! At first it reminded me of one of Phoebe's performances in "Friends" in the coffee shop - though you have a much stronger voice and actually can sing. ;-) And then it really takes off when you start bringing in the loops. Perhaps you could do that sooner, because in the part before it the song starts to drag a little and I was short from pressing stop.

It reminded of Suzanne Vegas, somehow.

A strong, interesting song. It is always nice to hear something off the beaten tracks.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
Nice stuff -  got more and more into it as it went. It really benefitted from the additional lawyers towards the end.

The build is good but maybe took a little long to get anywhere - perhaps if the lyrics had a more direct message then they would stand on their own better and be the stars of the first half. This is also important I think when you are looping as things can (obviously!) feel a bit repetitive.

But you really created an atmosphere and great sounds - was getting some almost African vibes from the harmonies...

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 04:27:14 PM »
This is soooooo coool, really love the minimalist stuff and very jealous of how you deliver it. Your voice is superb and I can hear real attitude behind it all. You´ve got a great bluesy feel to the open-tuned guitar but the melody is something way more modern and inventive. The rhythm changes provide the variety and playing a solo like that takes some confidence. I love the rising bass notes before the percussion comes in. Then the harmonies at the end - gorgeous.

Welcome to the forum and looking forward to hearing more stuff!