Playboy Bunny (Bare bones comp entry!)

• 31 Replies

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »
Time for my competition entry. Who knew bares bones stuff was so hard to mix?! Everything is so exposed and ... bare!

Talking of which, this one came about when I was out biking and got stuck behind a car with a mother and baby in it. On the back was one of those Playboy rabbit stickers. I thought to myself "Why would a mother do that? Unless..."

It's supposed to be a bit fun and ironic - but is "boobs" OK as a word? Fine? Childish? Offensive? - please do let me know and I will think again...

Playboy Bunny
https://soundcloud.com/lutehill/playboy-bunny

V1
Working for a living ain't no disgrace
Even when you still could be a blonde bombshell
It's a shame no-one remembers your face
But in their browser history your bust rings a bell

CH
Nothing seemed real in the Mansion house
Your boobs got you in and your brains got you out
You cringed when they said that they could make you a star
You like the privacy of your own backyard
You're a playboy bunny with a baby seat in your car

V2
Your young slim friends cried opportunity
Even though to you it seemed a fool's goldmine
Now 23 is just a memory
When it comes to birthdays and to your waistline

M8
The only playmates now are the ones at the play dates
Your blue-ray's blazing but the features it plays are always G-rated
Models in the playpen are just Barbie and Ken
No more keeping thin for businessmen
You don't deal with them, and you won't again
Just with your real friends
Nothing was real up in that mansion
What's real now? 'You and me, baby'
You say: 'You and me, baby'

Final CH
You're an ex-playmate with experience
An ex-centrefold that saw common sense
You won't do topless so you live from the tip jar
Beauty's skin deep, but that's not what you are
You're a playboy bunny with a baby seat in your car

(c) Adam Farr, 2016

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »
Lovely!!

It's a grower - by the end I was well attuned to the groove and the melody and was thoroughly enjoying it. Love the chords. The lyrics, and the idea, are brilliant. The chorus is nice and catchy. I think it took a few minutes for me to get into it, but once there - yep, brilliant. I'd love to hear this with a cool jazz guitarist playing lead / comping alongside what you've done here. It would still be bare bones, but all that space and those chords are just crying out for a little something extra.

Great work  :)
West Country Country Boy

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 01:57:57 PM »
I know what you mean about the bare bones mixing, you can't cover things up with more kitchen sinks  :)

Lovely rich jazz chords make it interesting to the ear without a full arrangement, though there were times you seemed to be modulating to another key and it never quite happened. Would have been nice.

Melodically I like the tunes, they all work well. The lyrics are good but I have to say I didn't quite buy the character of the playboy model who didn't really want to be one. I just couldn't quite get the sense of the girl behind the song but that could be my failing. Perhaps, I need to read Playboy more  :D

Obviously could be improved with bass, drums, choirs, a 60 piece orchestra and laser light show but it is very nice just as it is  :)

Tom.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »
Lovely jazz progressions Adam and your voice is sounding so much more confident these days. The bare bones challenge is great, really focuses you on the song essentials. As you say, the mixing is a challenge. Excellent interesting lyrics as usual. Great stuff, a big thumbs up from me  :)

John

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 06:43:06 AM »
That's a great angle; 'Playboy Bunny with a baby-seat in your car' and you've done a good job with it. I enjoyed the jazz-comping style accompaniment.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 01:07:14 PM »
you have some lovely lines here adam ...i realy liked the ones in the M8 like :
The only playmates now are the ones at the play dates!
& I love the way you interpreted 'bare' as in nude model & then did the song bare as in bare minimum....so thats twice bare! if only the bunny girl had bared her teeth & attacked hugh hefer with her bare hands you would have won the competition outright for bareness!

Ive never realy thought about those playboy bunny stickers on cars except they look nice ...i suppose its one of those images that get adopted into fashion & lose its meaning

you deserve top marks for being so brave & doing a jazz song with such bare accompaniment
& tbh the imperfections didnt matter bcos it had so much charm & was such a happy little tale & if you get babies in a song im always going to love it anyway :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »
Adam,

Cool Jazz melody.

Like the guitar and excellent lyrics....reminds me of early Style Council.

Definitely a bare bones feel.

Sandeep

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
Very clever lyrics Adam. A great idea well implemented.

It took a couple of plays for me to warm to it and I know it's for the 'bare bones' comp,but I'd love to hear it kick up a notch with other instruments,as the song progresses.

Cool stuff,man.  8)

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
Ha, I had a lot of fun with this! Really great story and lyrics, and I like the way you built your song around it. Good playing and very solid vocal performance, too!

A very good entry, I think. :)

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 06:30:42 PM »
brilliant concept, Adam...and brilliantly executed too

great witty lyrics and i really enjoyed the guitar...sidestepping the purely acoustic thing neatly...and it's really nicely played too

the vocal has loads more confidence now...and quite right too...you should be proud of the stuff you're producing...

excellent...yeah!
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 03:08:17 AM »
Hi Adam...........what a fun tune. Love the topic, and the image of the PB bunny not wanting fame, but instead preferring the privacy of her own back yard........funny stuff! ;D
Clever lyrics.........nice tune....and love that English accent to your delivery.
Good, good stuff!
                                     8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 11:49:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the support and great comments!

Delb0y - many thanks for giving it a chance to grow. Nice to think that it might have potential for a more "fleshed out" arrangement....

Tom - many thanks! I'm not saying this is something I've researched in detail, but I bet there are some bunnies who have a moment of realisation that there is more to life!

Pompeyjazz - thanks for the encouragement - was fun to do and this competition is turning out to be a fun one all round.

ShinyThang - many thanks! I think I live in a different angle  ;)

Tinam - glad you liked it... thank you! I did feel a bit brave doing it but actually aren't we always when we put our songs out there for critique?! Yes, babies get me every time...

Movin Flavor - Style Council eh? Never really ocurred to me but probably some influences deep down somewhere. Thanks so much for listening.

Skub - I think you're probably right that outside the competition it should probably grow a bit. Many thanks for the input!

Wolfi - great comments, many thanks! For the lyrics I really did try to make sure everything was on point and no filler.

PaulAds - thanks, man, I think I was quite pleased inside with this one so that probably did make me feel confident to deliver it...

IronKnee - what do you mean - I have an accent?! I thought it was just everybody else... ;) Thanks for great comments!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »
Lyrics made me smile and I admire what your doing here and your playing chords I've never even heard of!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
Took me a while to take this one in but some parts of it have been in the back of my mind while doing dishes and such... :)
The verses and chorus are quite alike so that might be the reason for the time-taking. I really like your timing and rhyming in the spoken parts and of course the storytelling, so far from my own lyricing (is that even a word?). And those chords, they sound as from another era, maybe coming out of an old funnel gramophone (I hope that is right, just made a google translate of the word "trattgrammofon", not in my day to day inner english dictionary no...).
But the payoff "You´re a Playboy..." really sticks like glue :) *head bobbing*

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
This was great fun and a fantastic concept for the lyric

Loved the jazzy feel and there were some lovely chords in there

Great stuff
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic