Nagasaki Day

• 25 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: June 26, 2016, 01:43:37 PM »
I was going to post this a few weeks ago, but the day I was going to post a song popped up on the forum about Hiroshima, so I thought I would leave this for a while.

Trying to capture the desperation and feel of a post nuclear strike.

Nagasaki Day

https://soundcloud.com/pompeyjazz/nagasaki-day

Grey rain falls
An ash coloured sky
Two minutes after the last goodbye
Raised to the ground
Now not a sound
White cloaked in debris
Left there to fry

And it hit everybody
Standing in it's way
And you and your family
On Nagasaki Day

Chill wind blew
Few made it through
Burned, maimed or poisoned
Just the precious few

And it hit everybody
Standing in it's way
And you and your family
On Nagasaki Day

So hard to find
Strong in the mind
Hopes and dreams of thousands
Floating Away

Until the final countdown
Blows us all away
All us and our families
On destitution Day

John Bradley - 2016

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »
so thats why you are living in a tent in a field ....practising for nuclear war!

well theres no point me saying this shouldve been poppier or catchier    with that subject! :)
...obviously it had to sound quite bleak but i found it was still  a song i could sing along with

i think harmonies are a must in that chorus ..they would sound realy good there ..
it realy needs more going on in the chorus to distinguish it from  the verse i thought?

my fave bit was the nuclear war instrumental bit ...im glad guitars survive the bomb! :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 11:24:29 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »
Liked it, John.

Dirgey in a way it needed to be.
Especially enjoyed it when you really let rip with the guitars and that happens really well.   

Pompeyjazz productions just get better and better...  :)

Tom.

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 02:44:33 PM »
Liked this a lot - great build, sombre atmosphere draws you in. Nice details too in the bass, BVs etc. Enjoyed the "industrial" guitar solos and the drums too.
Sounds very honed and complete and time spent was definitely worth it.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:26:42 PM »
Finally back from holiday and can join in again...

I heard this a while back John when you first posted it on Soundcloud. I really like the whole feel of the piece - it´s meant to be bleak and I think the production captures that perfectly. Great lyrics as well. Nothing constructive to add really.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
This is really good but maybe add the atomic bomb sound effect at the beginning and end just to bring the devastation of it all, also maybe change a couple of words in some of your lyric lines like, "And it hit everybody"  maybe  "And it blew through everybody"  also  "Floating Away"  maybe  "blowing away"

Just my thoughts on this but its really good as it is.

Seen a documentary on this years back and those bombs where made to be drop on Germany but the second world war was over Germany had already surrender, i think Japan would have surrendered if that had of happen but they didn't know they had such a bomb, maybe if they did they wouldn't had to drop it at all, the madness of war but then just as well hitler didn't have one.

Sorry if all that comes across the wrong way, really good song.

Bad Jeans

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 08:52:04 PM »
Nice song.

But at one point (and do not get me wrong) it gets a bit wordy for me. This is also due to the tempo. I think there is too little variety. The hi -hat occasionally could run through in eighth. and I would appreciate some more extensive fills. That way, the drummer fills in the song a little more. Would be cool I think . But it could be me . Each style of obviously has his own thing. But in general. I enjoyed the song  :)

Probz,

BdK

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:16 PM »
Lovely production, great lyrics (except for some reason the word "fry" jumped out of me) but can't say it was my type of thing. Not sure why - I don't mind slow songs, I'm more than happy with less happy lyrics and it even had two guitar solos. I think it may just have been one of those songs that didn't resonate with me. It happens a lot, although spookily, rarely here. Still a great song and very well presented!
West Country Country Boy

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:16:26 PM »
Hey pomps,I remember this from when you first posted it on s/c. I liked it then and it's good to hear it again.

Heartfelt always comes across.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 11:45:06 PM »
Thanks all.Sorry have nor had a chance to contribute too much to the forum due to various stuff of a non musical nature going on. Interesting point by delboy. Sometimes you get a song immediately, sometimes not. What I love about this forum is all the great individual opinions and inspirational creativity. Keep it up you guys  :)

Cheers pompeyjazz

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 06:41:10 AM »
Hi Pompy......Just listening, and I love the music. Very nice. Upon listening closer, the lyric is pretty grey and bleak.........and so, I tuned out the meaning of the words and concentrated on the prosody of the vocal and the rest of the music. Love the guitar rips....kinda reminded of ole Alice Cooper, back in the day, when he was really someone.
Good stuff, man!
                                        8)-Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:09:37 PM »
Great song John,

Love that Guitar solo and excellent lyrics.

Got that 80s protest song feeling, got me thinking of Army Dreamers and Breathing by Kate Bush.

Sandeep

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 12:24:19 AM »
 Thanks for all the comments guys . Wah ! Alice Cooper and Kate Bush. What a combination  :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 07:55:11 AM »
Very heavy John, but I don't mind heavy at all 8) and I think you really do justice to the topic 8)
The lyrics drew me into the despair of the time, and you deliver them with just the right amount of
emotion  :o The guitar solo's are equally good and passionate enough to take this song to where I
think, you want the listeners to be :( Very nicely done  :)

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 10:24:30 AM »
Hi John,

Cool stuff. It does have that "aftermath" feel to it.
Really like the gritty edge to the guitars when the song picks up. They work well with the weird sounds buried in the mix.
Nice ending too.
It all has this ragged quality that fits the subject matter perfectly.

Digger