konalavadome

Did you enjoy your Brexit this morning?

• 54 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
I voted leave. So yes, I'd have to say that I did.

I've always been very much against the idea of a EU superstate...which is where I think this project has always been heading.

And Yes, I am a racist...the Human Race is definitely my favourite.

Any discrimination beyond that is something I'd never tolerate.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 07:42:59 PM »
Well, I'm not sure what Tom is ashamed of, but I am ashamed of how our country must appear also. Apparently we are a democracy that preaches freedom and tolerance, yet some "Remain" voters can't accept the result of the referendum and resort to petty name calling, and seeking a 2nd referendum.
They call "Leave" voters Facists, racists, bigots, uneducated, the great unwashed, etc., yet they are the ones who appear to be seeking some kind of dictatorship which only offers their point of view. Go figure.
Someone was going to lose. Maybe we all have. But the result is in - the majority voted to leave. Hopefully the democratic thing will be done and we'll leave; if not, then Democracy has failed, and we will be a lot worse off than any effect leaving the EU might have had.

Anyway, that's my 2p. Better get back to ironing my Brown shirt. No need to bathe, of course.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 08:31:30 PM by digger72 »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:02:43 PM »
i voted to leave bcos i love my country & dont want to see it disappear bullied & eaten up by europe or changed completely by immigration
i wasnt going to mention it here bcos my experience of musicians/ artists /actors etc is they are incredibley liberal & vocal & opinonated & such bullies  if your not like them ...they will insult you& call you names like racist if you have a different opininon to them
that it makes me so mad ...dont call me a racist i treat  everyone i meet as a equal & with respect..but that doesnt mean i have to want the whole world over here
 you can say to me thats not what this referendum was about so i will say i used it as a protest & i think a lot of people did ..maybe it will turn out hard for us all here but sometimes you just have to stand up & be counted
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »
Well there's an online petition going on , one that the UK Gov has to debate if it goes over 100,000 signatures...it's at 2,475,714 ..i've been watching it and i reckon it's increasing at about 3000 a minute. :o

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 10:30:26 PM »
dont call me a racist i treat  everyone i meet as a equal & with respect..but that doesnt mean i have to want the whole world over here
 you can say to me thats not what this referendum was about so i will say i used it as a protest & i think a lot of people did ..maybe it will turn out hard for us all here but sometimes you just have to stand up & be counted

I always chortle at the anti-immigration undertones to the Brexit discourse.... isn't your monarch a migrant (German) and her husband one too (Greek)..... not to mention the fact that 'the whole world' is 'over here' because of centuries of British colonialism and imperialism and war mongering....

Of course it wasn't about racism and not everyone that backed Brexit is a racist. Some fairly progressive types backed it and there are several leftist and liberal grounds to adopt such a position.
However those that got the loudest hearing were the neoliberals and the little Englanders who hijacked it as a vehicle for English nationalism, intolerance and demagoguery

Yes the Brexit will cost a considerable bit of hardship for the common person and while I certainly admire your fortitude I wonder though why the common person should have to dig deep into their resolve to pull through while the instigators of the Brexit like Farage and Johnson and the people like Cameron that rolled over to have it in the first place will NOT have to in their mansions. IMHO you re 100% bang on the money re it being a protest vote - figures in the North East would support this - but in the long term it could prove a very costly one and Brexit could in fact transpire to be a pyrrhic victory.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:32:39 PM by Sing4me88 »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
Such a horrible week in the UK. I feel like we've been divided, so expecting to be conquered.

Personally I have no love for the EU, but I am worried that leaving it will possibly be the beginning of its collapse, opening up old wounds and making the prospect of a European war once more a possibility... Not to mention our border with Ireland.

Add to that the brutal tory government we've got another 4 years of, and I wonder if the NHS will survive intact as a public concern by the next election.

I don't agree with a second referendum though - this vote is one of the few moments of true democracy we've had in this country for a long time, where your choice makes an actual difference (I hope) - even if you disagree with the outcome you have to respect the voice of the majority. I think the way the campaigns have been run (particularly leave) have opened up huge amounts of disdain for people who have a different opinion. I also think that this wave of anti-immigration signals trouble.

It looks like the next four years will be a hairdresser's worst nightmare: Boris and Trump. God helps us...
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 10:43:29 PM »
Such a horrible week in the UK. I feel like we've been divided, so expecting to be conquered.

Personally I have no love for the EU, but I am worried that leaving it will possibly be the beginning of its collapse, opening up old wounds and making the prospect of a European war once more a possibility... Not to mention our border with Ireland.

I don't agree with a second referendum though - this vote is one of the few moments of true democracy we've had in this country for a long time, where your choice makes an actual difference (I hope) - even if you disagree with the outcome you have to respect the voice of the majority. I think the way the campaigns have been run (particularly leave) have opened up huge amounts of disdain for people who have a different opinion. I also think that this wave of anti-immigration signals trouble.

Simplest solution to that issue is to remove an artificially imposed border from the island of Ireland surely.....

I'm not sure this 2nd EU Ref is going to spring legs. Sure the petition can get the issue debated but that doesn't automatically mean there's going to be a vote again.Interestingly though Farage did say a few weeks ago when the figures looked slightly in the Remain sides favour that a 52%-48%vote would leave 'unfinished business'- I wonder if he's changed his tune on that as quickly as he did additional NHS funding.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 10:47:54 PM »

Simplest solution to that issue is to remove an artificially imposed border from the island of Ireland surely.....

I'm not sure this 2nd EU Ref is going to spring legs. Sure the petition can get the issue debated but that doesn't automatically mean there's going to be a vote again.Interestingly though Farage did say a few weeks ago when the figures looked slightly in the Remain sides favour that a 52%-48%vote would leave 'unfinished business'- I wonder if he's changed his tune on that as quickly as he did additional NHS funding.

Well on Twitter ,Brian Cox (the actor) asked , what if the petition goes over 17.5 million ,in other words more than the leave winning target..... ??? the PET can run for 6 months....the Gov isn't going to initiate the out mechanisms for a while(or so they say) ..i can see a possible fudge developing.

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
That as the case may be 17.5 million + signatures on an on-line petition are not in fact legally binding votes so it's a non-issue really. People ineligible to vote (those under 18, 2 million plus EU citizens living in UK) can sign the petition. I love Brian Cox but he should think before he opens his mouth.... I bet Brian Cox the physicist wouldn't have evinced such a weak argument....;)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 10:56:13 PM »
That as the case may be 17.5 million + signatures on an on-line petition are not in fact legally binding votes so it's a non-issue really. People ineligible to vote (those under 18, 2 million plus EU citizens living in UK) can sign the petition. I love Brian Cox but he should think before he opens his mouth.... I bet Brian Cox the physicist wouldn't have evinced such a weak argument....;)

Er,,they're  not sure the vote is legally binding anyway....only the Government can take the UK out, and they could just pass on it if other factors come to the fore  ..can happen ?  

Also B.Cox was just being devil's advocate as i am  ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 11:04:22 PM by S.T.C »

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 11:03:37 PM »
Simplest solution to that issue is to remove an artificially imposed border from the island of Ireland surely...
Of course it is. But unfortunately there are nearly 2 million people living there, at least half of whom consider themselves British, who don't want to be part of an Irish republic.

The peace in Northern Ireland is still very unstable at the best of times. Restricting the border could put us back to the 70s and 80s.
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 11:06:02 PM »
I didn't say the EU Ref was a legally binding vote...I simply said that signatures on a petition are not legally binding votes in an election... that's the difference.

Of course it's up to the government to invoke Article 50 of Lisbon Treaty and disengage. Cameron has gone, the EU are pushing for as quick an exit as possible. Do you really think for a second the govt - which will probably be led by Boris Johnson come October -  will renege on Brexit? In theory of course they can refuse to do so but in theory the monarch can also refuse to install a PM after an election and in theory it is also legal to kill a Welsh man in Chester with a bow and arrow after midnight as long as he is inside the city walls and in theory a police man also has to give a pregnant woman his hat to relieve herself in if caught short. What the law 'says' in theory and how it actually works are of course two very different animals....

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
I always chortle at the anti-immigration undertones to the Brexit discourse.... isn't your monarch a migrant (German) and her husband one too (Greek)..... not to mention the fact that 'the whole world' is 'over here' because of centuries of British colonialism and imperialism and war mongering....

I think you just love chortling & acting clever dont you :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 11:10:53 PM »

Of course it is. But unfortunately there are nearly 2 million people living there, at least half of whom consider themselves British, who don't want to be part of an Irish republic.

The peace in Northern Ireland is still very unstable at the best of times. Restricting the border could put us back to the 70s and 80s.

No they don't - the strongest emerging  identity is 'Northern Irish' rather than Irish or British.... in fact the staunchest loyalist elements are loyal to 'God and Ulster' first rather than 'Queen and country'. Some actually advocate the spine shivering notion of an independent Northern Ireland state.Plus the Tory party or indeed the Labour party has NO mandate whatsoever in the North of Ireland - how is that democracy when people making the most major decisions aren't even answerable to the electorate?

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 11:12:13 PM »

I think you just love chortling & acting clever dont you :)

You bet bae but I love BEING clever even more.... ;)